gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681305 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 04:20:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce departure  (Read 5166 times)
Barnyard
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:13:17 AM »

Anyone recalls Bruce saying, when he departed back in 72, that he was leaving because he didn't want to get old in the band singing the same surf tunes???
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:49:52 AM »

It's in the Badman book, apparently from a Melody Maker interview he did in 1974:

"No, I'm not with The Beach Boys anymore. I didn't want to go on singing oldies for the rest of my life."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:50:49 AM by phirnis » Logged
Barnyard
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:18:03 AM »

Thank you!!
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:18:19 AM »

The irony
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:08:17 AM »

The irony

He was 29/30 years old at the time, it's perfectly understandable that he was still ambitious and not as willing to rest on his laurels (creatively speaking) as he is now.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:09:27 AM by shelter » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:22:29 AM »

in his state of mind at the time, he was going solo, in which, had he not sold I write the Songs and made it his own, would it have been as big of a hit?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »

He also said it had taken him three years until he finally realised that Brian wasn't going to come back to the group. When Bruce came back in 1978, however, the Beach Boys were going to make their fourth record in a row featuring major Brian involvement. Maybe he was keen on bringing out the best in Brian. Or maybe he was just willing to help an old friend/colleague.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:48:23 AM »

Jack Reiley said he had Bruce fired...Bruce says he "pulled back" when "the magic pulled back"... and the BBs weren't an oldies band yet when Bruce left...it would be a couple more years until that happened.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 09:32:03 AM »

Despite Bruce suggesting he left because he saw through Reiley and didn't like the impression being given that Brian was considerably more involved than he was (although iI believe Brian was more involved than is often thought), you read the interviews around that time and neither Mike nor Dennis are particularly flattering towards him, though I guess it was a hot and cold thing.  Remember that he bailed out of the trip to Hawaii to record the live album in the 60s (not such a bad idea), but was on hand for the vocal overdubbing sessions shortly afterwards. Remember that there were moves afoot to have him replaced by Billy Hinsche at the end of the 60s, though by who, I don't know.  Remember also that when he returned properly (after all, he's on most of the albums in the interim, including POB), Carl didn't want him on the group photo for Ten Years of Harmony. However, he was on several albums as an official BB during this period, had toured with them and the compilation was even named after one of his songs (which was included in the collection)!  Those crazy Beach Boys folk... Why couldn't they just grow the f*** up?
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 06:22:28 PM »

As much as I like Bruce, imagine he had stayed on as a bass player during the Blondie/Ricky live era. Where would Bruce have fit in? It would be neat to see teh band rockinn' away and Bruce smiling in shorts and clapping his hands. Oh well maybe I am off a bit.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:39:46 PM »

Despite Bruce suggesting he left because he saw through Reiley and didn't like the impression being given that Brian was considerably more involved than he was (although iI believe Brian was more involved than is often thought),

Even if Reiley was a huckster, I still like what he did for the group's music and image. And I really can't see Bruce fitting in with Blondie and Ricky. Imagine if Bruce sang Sail On Sailor instead of Blondie... Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!  That song would've lost it's driving edge...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »

As much as I like Bruce, imagine he had stayed on as a bass player during the Blondie/Ricky live era. Where would Bruce have fit in? It would be neat to see teh band rockinn' away and Bruce smiling in shorts and clapping his hands. Oh well maybe I am off a bit.
Bruce was always a clapper (see Central Park '71) but I don't think he started wearing shorts until the 80s.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:23:07 PM »

Remember that he bailed out of the trip to Hawaii to record the live album in the 60s

I've always wondered if Bruce really did decide on his own not to go to Hawaii for the 1967 the Lied in Hawaii live album, or if it was suggested to him that he would not be needed at those concerts since Brian was going to be there.  Back then, in most of the public's mind there were five members of the Beach Boys, and Brian Wilson was one of them.  At the time of the Aug 67 Honolulu concerts, which were also filmed, Bruce had not appeared on the cover of any of the four BB albums since he had begun touring with the band, although he can be seen in a few photos on the back of the Pet Sounds album.  While most BB fans knew Bruce had replaced Brain in the touring lineup, I'm assuming either Capitol, the band members, or perhaps the BBs management wanted it to appear that the BBs were still a five member group with BW as one of the five.  (I recall Mike Love announcing at a Dec 1966 concert, "Some of you are probably wondering where Brian Wilson is.  He couldn't make it tonight.  He's pregnant!")  It wasn't until the Dec 67 release of Wild Honey that it would be readily apparent to a record buyer that there were six members of the Beach Boys.

Any thoughts as to whether Bruce really did decide on his own not to go to Hawaii, and if so, why he would make such a decision if he really wanted to remain a member of the band?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 11:34:28 PM »

He did play with Blondie and Ricky for a few shows.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 11:58:17 PM »

Rieley, not Reiley.  Or any other variation.

I before E except for C unless it has the sound of A (thank you Miss Wilburn from 1962).

Rieley.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 12:08:35 AM »

Rieley, not Reiley.  Or any other variation.

I before E except for C unless it has the sound of A (thank you Miss Wilburn from 1962).

Rieley.

Damn, I keep misspelling his name!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »

Any thoughts as to whether Bruce really did decide on his own not to go to Hawaii, and if so, why he would make such a decision if he really wanted to remain a member of the band?

He's stated in an interview that the whole Hawaii thing was "just too weird", and when I asked him about it a few years ago, he just shook his head and said "drugs".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »

Fishing trip.  LOL
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »

Oh my gosh, watch Bruce on the Knebworth 80 concert, he tries adding a clap about everyother song...even the end of Lady Lynda, when they do it at the request of Mike

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 01:05:16 PM »

or if it was suggested to him that he would not be needed at those concerts since Brian was going to be there.

Seems very unlikely to me. With songs like 'Good Vibrations' and 'God Only Knows' on the setlist and just four people who could play an instrument? I'm sure they could've fitted in an extra musician somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:07:04 PM by shelter » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 02:45:41 PM »

or if it was suggested to him that he would not be needed at those concerts since Brian was going to be there.

Seems very unlikely to me. With songs like 'Good Vibrations' and 'God Only Knows' on the setlist and just four people who could play an instrument? I'm sure they could've fitted in an extra musician somewhere.

And since Brian played organ, Carl was playing bass...if Bruce had been there, he could've played bass and just maybe there would've been a slightly "fuller" sound in that show.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 10:47:03 AM »

Particularly since they were recording it - although maybe they thought they'd add an extra guitar in the studio afterwards?
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »

I was surprised that Al had sang lead on Wouldn't It Be Nice on the '67 Hawaii shows, even though Brian was there.

Still one of my favorite BB moments.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 01:20:06 PM »

Are there any recordings of Brian pre-73/74 singing Wouldn't It Be Nice live?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 01:55:30 AM »

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx