gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680957 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian in todays Observer (UK)  (Read 3230 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:10:22 PM »

he's busy while he's over here.... it's one of those short features where they talk about songs. The usual suspects - Be My Baby, The Beatles (She's leaving Home, specifically) Four Freshmen, Bill Haley (Rock Around The Clock being the first record he ever bought, he thinks), and the Doobie Brothers. he also mentions that 'He Came Down' came from an old gospel song they used to sing.

He's also going to be doing a 'hard rock' album, and is 'not sure' how the Peter Blake thing happened  Cheesy Contrary to appearances, he says 'it feels real good to be on the road once more'. He also says he's recording....

Also, british journalists are useless - the little blurb underneath it states that he started PS in 1964....  Shocked

EDIT: here's a link http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jul/12/soundtrack-my-life-brian-wilson
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:14:09 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:15:13 PM »

If 'hard rock' means Love You, Proud Mary, and "rock'n'roll album", count me in on those looking forward.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »

Hypehat modified the original post to include the link. That makes my post unnecessary. Drat. Sucks to be unnecessary. Hmpf.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:29:01 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »

'Hard rock'?!  Grin

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:01:44 PM »

I think it's important to remember to filter his statements through his viewpoint. "Hard rock" to Brian Wilson probably means music in the vein of Morning Beat, Goin Home, Marcella, etc. I doubt we have to wonder whether a collaboration with Axl Rose is in the works. (Although considering some of his solo career decisions...)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 03:35:30 PM »

I wish he'd hurry up. he's been wanting to do a 'rock' album for the past decade.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »

Also, british journalists are useless - the little blurb underneath it states that he started PS in 1964....  Shocked

Although clearly the journalist misstated the year, technically speaking Brian did, in a way, start Pet Sounds in 1964..."I'm Waiting For the Day" was written that year.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »

I think it's important to remember to filter his statements through his viewpoint. "Hard rock" to Brian Wilson probably means music in the vein of Morning Beat, Goin Home, Marcella, etc. I doubt we have to wonder whether a collaboration with Axl Rose is in the works. (Although considering some of his solo career decisions...)
Those tracks count as death metal to Brian LOL. And besides, you don't want him to work with Axl...you think Brian can't finish anything now ???

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »

Forming the Beach Boys ...
He Came Down, The Beach Boys (1972)

We formed a band called Carl & the Passions first, because I wanted my brother Carl to be in the band and he didn't want to be so I thought if I called it after him he would do it. This is a spiritual song, an old gospel song, and it was the first-ever piece of music we sang together [a version appears on the 1972 Beach Boys album Carl & The Passions - So Tough].

The f***?! The first song the Beach Boys ever sang together was He Came Down?! Oh f*ck me... this is heading into Reagan territory.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »

Forming the Beach Boys ...
He Came Down, The Beach Boys (1972)

We formed a band called Carl & the Passions first, because I wanted my brother Carl to be in the band and he didn't want to be so I thought if I called it after him he would do it. This is a spiritual song, an old gospel song, and it was the first-ever piece of music we sang together [a version appears on the 1972 Beach Boys album Carl & The Passions - So Tough].

The foda?! The first song the Beach Boys ever sang together was He Came Down?! Oh f*ck me... this is heading into Reagan territory.

I'm pretty sure what Brian is getting at is that the gospel song that inspired "He Came Down" was one of the first pieces of music the brothers sang together. In the interview response, he just doesn't bother delineating between the original song and the Beach Boys rip-off of said song.  Wink

By the way, I much prefer this interview format where they apparently have Brian respond in writing to questions instead of sitting for a face-to-face. You get more thoughtful answers, but it's still obviously Brian behind the thoughts (for those who might persume Melinda is providing the answers).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 04:54:05 PM »

I'm pretty sure what Brian is getting at is that the gospel song that inspired "He Came Down" was one of the first pieces of music the brothers sang together. In the interview response, he just doesn't bother delineating between the original song and the Beach Boys rip-off of said song.
With Brian, it's really hard to tell. Remember, SMiLE was never a Beach Boys project  Roll Eyes

I do wonder what song he was talking about, or if he got mixed up.

edit

lol...God really has a sense of humor. I just checked my email, and I got an advertisement about Brian & Peter Blake that was sent out two minutes after I posted my rant earlier. Coincidence?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:58:30 PM by Billy Castillo » Logged

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 06:41:59 PM »

I think Brian's just burned out talking about Brian.  Most of the time he opens up is when he's asked about other people's music, which conversely can often open him up more about his own.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 06:06:17 AM »

I'm pretty sure what Brian is getting at is that the gospel song that inspired "He Came Down" was one of the first pieces of music the brothers sang together. In the interview response, he just doesn't bother delineating between the original song and the Beach Boys rip-off of said song.
With Brian, it's really hard to tell. Remember, SMiLE was never a Beach Boys project  Roll Eyes

I do wonder what song he was talking about, or if he got mixed up.
Somewhere in the TLOS package, Brian mentions a gospel song that he and his brothers would sing as kids.  I believe the name of the song is "Come Down, Come Down From Your Ivory Tower".  I've never heard it so I wouldn't know if "He Came Down" is a 'rip-off' of the song, or was simply inspired by it.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 06:35:44 AM »

Good catch LostArt! Brian's always referred to "Come Down From Your Ivory Tower" as the inspiration for "In My Room", but, perhaps there's some of it in "He Came Down" as well (especially given the use of the same words "come/came down").
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 07:26:57 AM »

Lyrics to "Ivory Tower":

Come down, come down from your ivory tower
Let love come into your heart
Don't lock yourself in an ivory tower
Don't keep us so far apart

I love you, I love you
Are you too far above me to hear?

You'll find true love has its' charms
It's cold, so cold, in your ivory tower
And warm, so warm in my arms

I love you, I love you
Are you too far above me to hear?

You'll find true love has its' charms
It's cold, so cold, in your ivory tower
And warm, so warm in my arms
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 09:07:18 PM »

I've heard that song. There's nothing gospel about it. That's a standard 50s pop song.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 05:05:45 PM »

Hard Rock? So the long awaited Wilson/KISS partnership is finally happening?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx