gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 03:49:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's greatness claimed to point of redundancy?  (Read 3218 times)
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2015, 12:28:30 PM »

I came across this article from BBC Culture by the coincidentally named Carl Wilson. He is apparently tired of hearing about Brian Wilson's greatness, so, ironically, he writes one more article about it. What are your thoughts?

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150608-is-this-americas-mozart

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »

Now that he's identified gaps in my bookshelves, he needs to write more books about Stevie Wonder, James Brown, and George Clinton, then. Kind of a pointless piece... a bit wearingly glee-clubby and gimmicky, even.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:34:20 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 12:48:45 PM »

There's always some chucklehead that promotes a contrarian POV when the wave is peaking just to get some notice.

I'm not sure I really care for this Carl Wilson.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 12:56:29 PM »

I've come across a couple people who are "tired" of hearing what a genius Brian Wilson is, and have been for a long long time. I'm pretty sure Brian's a little over it too.

other people will never be convinced, no matter how many times they hear Pet Sounds or SMiLE or Warmth of the Sun, etc.

but the thing that really irks me is the implication that Brian is/was just some idiot savant or conduit who somehow lacked the brilliance or intelligence of his own to create such amazing music. and I hate to say it, but the Love & Mercy film kind of perpetuates that belief. there's even a recent interview with Darian where he refers to Brian and the other Beach Boys as "hicks" from Hawthorne. it's really disappointing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:27:15 PM »

No, Wilson demands another bracket, one for the artists who are great but whose greatness is proclaimed to the point of redundancy, taking up more than their share of cultural shelf space. Instead of the overrated, call them the overstocked.

In what arena is this the case? Our message board? A few other places around the web? Hipster bonfires? Is it really impacting the cultural landscape to the point we need to complain about it? What universe is he living in where Brian Wilson is taking up more than his share of "cultural shelf space"? I'd love to live in that universe. In my universe the Beach Boys are a blip on the radar, they're a reason to get barbs thrown at you for liking them (depending on who you hang out with). The current cultural shelf space is being dominated by the cesspool of continuous Kim Kardashian/Justin Bieber/Kanye West news and tweets...do we really need more of that?

People call him a genius because they get it. They get the harmonies, they get the chords, the music as a whole stirs something in the spirit - a feeling that we want to share with others. Find me another songwriter who has more successfully woven intricate harmonic tapestries through a canvas of complex chord structures all while making an honest statement about the human soul. Then when I'm at my hipster bonfires I'll rave about that person. Until then, we apologize for the one Brian Wilson article every 2 years in MOJO, for the 2 mediocre paragraphs he gets in Rolling Stone when he releases an album, we apologize for this tidal wave of praise that is currently consuming the cultural ocean of America and drowning out the artistic visions of Justin Bieber and Meghan Trainor. OH THE HUMANITY!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »

Compare the Beach Boys and Brian's cultural shelf space to, say, the Beatles or Dylan.  I would say Brian is UNDER represented relative to his musical achievements versus Beatles or Dylan or the Stones.  Granted the 50th tour and this movie have made for a transient blip in Brian's news coverage and social media presence but relative to the high profile and relentless press that Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, Niki Minaj, Kim Kardashian get, Brian is hardly getting more than his due.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 04:01:29 PM »

I can understand the POV, but for a number of years Brian was underappreciated. I'm glad he's getting full props now. Compared to the way some worship McCartney, it isn't especially obnoxious.

"I Get Around" was the record that convinced me of his genius, many years ago. I had a realization that it was the apex of the early Beach Boys but simultaneously avant garde.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 04:09:32 PM »

Frankly, after years of all Beach Boys music being dismissed as bubblegum, I'm glad Brian started getting his due beginning sometime around the 90's. I still run into people pretty regularly who don't "get it", and even more who are completely unaware that Brian is held in such high regard today. If anything, there needs to be more claiming of Brian's greatness, not less of it.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 05:02:27 PM »

Frankly, after years of all Beach Boys music being dismissed as bubblegum, I'm glad Brian started getting his due beginning sometime around the 90's. I still run into people pretty regularly who don't "get it", and even more who are completely unaware that Brian is held in such high regard today. If anything, there needs to be more claiming of Brian's greatness, not less of it.

My hope is that Love & Mercy goes a long way towards correcting that. If not- well at least I know what a genius he was and can enjoy the music for my time left here on Earth. More's the pity for those who don't.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »

That ass sure likes to point out heritage... 'Jewish New Yorkers', Swedish pop producers ', white suburban Christian, ect.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 06:06:51 PM »

No, Wilson demands another bracket, one for the artists who are great but whose greatness is proclaimed to the point of redundancy, taking up more than their share of cultural shelf space. Instead of the overrated, call them the overstocked.

In what arena is this the case? Our message board? A few other places around the web? Hipster bonfires? Is it really impacting the cultural landscape to the point we need to complain about it? What universe is he living in where Brian Wilson is taking up more than his share of "cultural shelf space"? I'd love to live in that universe. In my universe the Beach Boys are a blip on the radar, they're a reason to get barbs thrown at you for liking them (depending on who you hang out with). The current cultural shelf space is being dominated by the cesspool of continuous Kim Kardashian/Justin Bieber/Kanye West news and tweets...do we really need more of that?

People call him a genius because they get it. They get the harmonies, they get the chords, the music as a whole stirs something in the spirit - a feeling that we want to share with others. Find me another songwriter who has more successfully woven intricate harmonic tapestries through a canvas of complex chord structures all while making an honest statement about the human soul. Then when I'm at my hipster bonfires I'll rave about that person. Until then, we apologize for the one Brian Wilson article every 2 years in MOJO, for the 2 mediocre paragraphs he gets in Rolling Stone when he releases an album, we apologize for this tidal wave of praise that is currently consuming the cultural ocean of America and drowning out the artistic visions of Justin Bieber and Meghan Trainor. OH THE HUMANITY!

Ditto.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »

Ditto.

I second that, Rab
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »

There's always some chucklehead that promotes a contrarian POV when the wave is peaking just to get some notice.

I'm not sure I really care for this Carl Wilson.

Any POV  when a topical wave is peaking just to get some notice.     Just look at the 24 hour news channels.......
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »

I'd like to debate critics like this one-on-one. Many of them seem to sing the same bullshit song as this guy, and it's as predictable as the sun coming up in a few hours.

Can someone access his previous reviews? I'm guessing he may be one of those hipper-than-thou types who hyped a Kanye West album at some point because he thought he had to.

Dime a dozen, this stuff, take it as such. Nothing more.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 11:34:13 PM »

I stopped reading after this - In this story that villainy comes from lead Beach Boys singer Mike Love, who scorned Smile and pressured Wilson to stick to the band’s formula of surf, sun, cars and girls.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 12:37:11 AM »

True genius can never be overstated.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 01:41:33 AM »

Hearing about an artist's greatness over and over again can be tedious. I think the "Brian's a genius" thing could actually use some variety. For the most part it's about Pet Sounds, GV, how GOK was written in 1 hour or so, how Smile was this mysterious thing that did not come out, etc. It's about a very limited timespan, mostly '65-'67. I can understand how someone could get bored with all that, though for me the music does justify the praise even after years of listening.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 02:37:56 AM »

there's even a recent interview with Darian where he refers to Brian and the other Beach Boys as "hicks" from Hawthorne. it's really disappointing.

I don't he meant that to be taken negatively, I'd say he was complimenting them. You know, they WERE hicks from Hawthorne, meaning they weren't Hollywood-hipper-than-thou-snobs, just blue-collar boys from a decidedly unglamorous town, and despite that they made it very big and created some of the most amazing music ever created. Go Hawthorne hicks, you showed 'em!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx