gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681236 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4080 Members - Latest Member: endoftheshow May 29, 2024, 11:39:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have proof!!!  (Read 6380 times)
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2010, 11:20:32 PM »

of Daddy Dear's singer, and yes...it is Brian Wilson.

Here's my proof:

- Listen to BHITM. Al's lead, of course. both songs are in about the same range. Brian clearly has a deeper tone to his voice.
- Listen to Break Away (Alternate Version). You can hear the same pronunciation of syllables, bends, + that unique weepy sound in Brian's voice from that period
- This is gonna sound weird, but listen to the outtake from Hawthorne, CA of the SLC sessions. When Brian laughs, at the "whack it off" line, compare this with how he sings "fly", it's that ah sound that totally identifies Brian
- Listen to the Daddy Dear recording and then listen to the demo of Mount Vernon and Fairway, well that's what finally sold me.
- Oh yeah, and lastly, as one of the youngest members on this board, my hearing is in tip-top shape

((have a listen)) all you naysayers (AGD included) Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:27:08 PM »

Yeah, but if you've heard Brian's vocals from that same period...he didn't sound like that anymore. He hadn't reached his 15 Big ones voice yet, but there was a noticeable change. Al, however, did.

What would seal the deal is if we had a date for the recording, or at least narrowed it down to the week.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:30:07 PM »

I have a theory that the fist apperance/evidence of Brian's "new voice" is the Don't You Just Know It outtake with Jan Barry(berry?). BUt that's a whole other topic, and another big can of worms.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:28:12 AM »

I've heard this (daddy dear) but since lost it. Erm, could anyone please point me in the direction of this recording??
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:54:12 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:39:41 AM »

I will probably get yelled at for this.  Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUkB6X8mMhg

He's not quite hoarse or off key, but it's fairly obvious that he's struggling.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 01:34:20 AM »

No yelling needed, as that's from you tube :D

That's a great example, esp around 0:59. 

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 01:53:44 AM »

I will probably get yelled at for this.  Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUkB6X8mMhg

Hey thanks so much for the link. I had never heard this. It was Daddy dear I was referring to though (my mistake)!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 02:07:40 AM »

of Daddy Dear's singer, and yes...it is Brian Wilson.

Here's my proof:

- Listen to BHITM. Al's lead, of course. both songs are in about the same range. Brian clearly has a deeper tone to his voice.
- Listen to Break Away (Alternate Version). You can hear the same pronunciation of syllables, bends, + that unique weepy sound in Brian's voice from that period
- This is gonna sound weird, but listen to the outtake from Hawthorne, CA of the SLC sessions. When Brian laughs, at the "whack it off" line, compare this with how he sings "fly", it's that ah sound that totally identifies Brian
- Listen to the Daddy Dear recording and then listen to the demo of Mount Vernon and Fairway, well that's what finally sold me.
- Oh yeah, and lastly, as one of the youngest members on this board, my hearing is in tip-top shape

((have a listen)) all you naysayers (AGD included) Wink

Listened. See (or hear...) nothing there to change my previously stated opinion.

BTW, the audio you're using to 'prove' your point dates from, respectively, four, three and seven years earlier (and Brian was speaking then, not singing). Granted the "Fairytale" 'journalist' tape is contemporary, but is also, were this possible, even worse audio quality.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »

No yelling needed, as that's from you tube :D

That's a great example, esp around 0:59. 
1:37 to about 1:41 is another part that sticks out to me.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 03:07:57 AM »

Brian's vocal for "DYJKI" was recorded 1970, reportedly.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 03:19:58 AM »

I know this is kinda off topic, but I just wanted to say that that song, "Don't you just know it", by Jan and Brian is officially available on this disc:
http://www.musicload.de/jan-dean/fun-city/musik/album/6354552_2

It used to be on amazon, too, but I couldn't find it now. I think it's the only release to get it officially from

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 03:41:45 AM »

I think that's Brian AND Al.
In Daddy Dear, Brian and Al try to sing. I heard the two voices.
And in Susie, only Al try to play and sing his own song.
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 05:27:23 AM »

Listened. See (or hear...) nothing there to change my previously stated opinion.

BTW, the audio you're using to 'prove' your point dates from, respectively, four, three and seven years earlier (and Brian was speaking then, not singing). Granted the "Fairytale" 'journalist' tape is contemporary, but is also, were this possible, even worse audio quality.

This has nothing to do with dates, Brian has a vocals style most of us are familiar with. Can you hear what I mean by "weepy" sound in his voice? By the way after '67 or so Brian began to use a new type of singing style for upper range melodies.

Examples: harmonizing on BHITM, Walk on By, TALOYF, anybody else hear what I'm talking about. That's what you hear on Daddy Dear when he goes into that higher range, well, what I hear for that matter.

IMHO, Brian's voice was still pretty similar to how it sounded, when it changed in 1965. Anybody understand my Break Away comparison?

Am i crazy, why, otherwise, would I be inclined to think it was Brian?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »

I will probably get yelled at for this.  Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUkB6X8mMhg

I know this is kinda off topic, but I just wanted to say that that song, "Don't you just know it", by Jan and Brian is officially available on this disc:
http://www.musicload.de/jan-dean/fun-city/musik/album/6354552_2

It used to be on amazon, too, but I couldn't find it now. I think it's the only release to get it officially from

It's on  Amazon as an MP3 download album

http://www.amazon.com/Fun-City/dp/B001NKQK78
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:02:23 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 01:08:24 PM »

Dont You Just Know it is pretty cool. Never heard it!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:09:38 PM by oranjuly » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 03:45:17 PM »

Now here's the interesting thing about this track...I've heard an alternate version of this on some b**tleg or other somewhere, and there's a different Brian vocal, probably an earlier take, and Brian is REALLY struggling with the vocal, especially the transition to and from falsetto.

If this is from 1970, this is a good example of how Brian's voice in '70 HAD deteriorated since '66, even though it's not immediately obvious from listening to his vocals on record at the time (and which a lot of people have questioned, suggesting that his voice was pretty much untouched until '74).  He still had a lot of his range and the youthful tone to his voice, but it had gotten harder to control and required a lot more effort to sing.  It's also worth a reminder that your ability to sing can vary drastically from day to day, and if your health is poor it can create all kinds of issues with inflammation, sinus infections, etc., that can mess with your voice as well.  Some of that was probably in play...and drug use, particularly cocaine and pot smoking, can mess with your voice pretty badly too.

After '74 the basic tone of Brian's voice changed drastically and it was nearly impossible to cover up (though they managed it on MIU), but a lot of other other issues were already in play...they just didn't prevent getting a good vocal take on record, necessarily.

Btw, I've never heard "Daddy Dear" so I can't weigh in on who sang it.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »

The interesting thing is that he was able to pull it through and do a very good vocal on "Doncha Just Know It" despite the earlier trouble.

I am unabashed fan of Brian's 1970-71 ("Awake" primarily) vocals, but really you can start to hear a difference in the tone and the way he's singing. It's not the full voiced angelic, almost effortless voice of previous years (the falsetto leads like "California Girls" and "Hushabye"), but a more mature and controlled effort. The best thing I can thing of that effected him is age, as early as the SMiLE sessions he was starting to show a bit of vocal decline i.e. on the early take of "Vegetables" he is noticeably a bit pitchier than Mike on his section. With "Friends" he's back on top but he's noticeably aged a bit, he sounds great but it's a different style.

There's a number of factors involved.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »

Now here's the interesting thing about this track...I've heard an alternate version of this on some b**tleg or other somewhere, and there's a different Brian vocal, probably an earlier take, and Brian is REALLY struggling with the vocal, especially the transition to and from falsetto.

I would very much like to hear the version you mentioned...

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »

[/quote]
I doubt you are the youngest. 14, beat THAT.

A discipline daddy.
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »

Well, one of the youngest.  3D
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »

[/quote]

Most 14 year olds I know use misspellings and "lolspeak" to try to look kewl on teh inner netz. u no wut i meen?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 01:05:20 PM »

Most 14 year olds I know use misspellings and "lolspeak" to try to look kewl on teh inner netz. u no wut i meen?
[/quote]

Really ?  I figured they did that because they can't spell in the first place.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 02:04:49 PM »

I would very much like to hear the version you mentioned...

This isn't one of those situations where I have to be coy about where I heard it to not get someone in trouble....I honestly don't remember where I heard it but it probably was on one of a number of vinyl J & D boots from the late '80s.  I still have them somewhere but I don't have a record player anymore.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 02:06:59 PM »

[/quote]

Dude!  Awesome.  Great to have you here.

I was 14 when I got into the Beach Boys and let me tell you, it was NOT something than won me a lot of popularity!  That was back in the '80s and they hadn't fully gotten their due yet at that point.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »

Dude!  Awesome.  Great to have you here.

I was 14 when I got into the Beach Boys and let me tell you, it was NOT something than won me a lot of popularity!  That was back in the '80s and they hadn't fully gotten their due yet at that point.
[/quote]Ha! I saw my first Beach Boys concert at the age of seven.  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx