gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681236 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4080 Members - Latest Member: endoftheshow May 30, 2024, 12:43:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Honey - November 21, 1967  (Read 7281 times)
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2015, 11:56:24 PM »

Something tells me the crowd wasn't digging this 'new' song as much as we do now...

https://soundcloud.com/bud_shaver/wild-honey-112167
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:41:47 AM »

Something tells me the crowd wasn't digging this 'new' song as much as we do now...

https://soundcloud.com/bud_shaver/wild-honey-112167

What was wrong with their reaction?
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:03:45 AM »

California Girls was the previous song and the crowd was pretty jazzed by the end. When Wild Honey kicks in their enthusiasm seems to evaporate.  I wasn't there, so it's an uneducated guess. 

SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 01:14:18 AM »

California Girls was the previous song and the crowd was pretty jazzed by the end. When Wild Honey kicks in their enthusiasm seems to evaporate.  I wasn't there, so it's an uneducated guess. 

Its a great clip btw, I guess it just shows the neutrality people seemed to have towards the Boys post-Pet Sounds
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:40:10 AM »

California Girls was the previous song and the crowd was pretty jazzed by the end. When Wild Honey kicks in their enthusiasm seems to evaporate.  I wasn't there, so it's an uneducated guess.  
Its a great clip btw, I guess it just shows the neutrality people seemed to have towards the Boys post-Pet Sounds
False assumption.  It had only been out a month.  

There was plenty of "response" when I saw them that week for WH.  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:41:22 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 07:11:31 AM »

These are some great recordings, aren't they? Where's the November 1967 tour two-disc set? 2017 perhaps?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:26:14 AM »

These are some great recordings, aren't they? Where's the November 1967 tour two-disc set? 2017 perhaps?
Oh, baby! I'd love that!  LOL

Brian, Dennis, & Carl
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 08:38:31 AM »

Ugh. Audience recollection, and even honest-to-god legit recordings of shows, will even result in different opinions as to audience response. My recollection of the late '67 recordings where they aired the new tracks was that they got polite applause/cheering, but less so than the older stuff. That hasn't changed nearly 50 years later for nearly every band for all time. New stuff is less known. And back in '67, it was more likely than these days for a bunch of fans to have not heard the "new" song, since they couldn't have previewed it on YouTube the night before.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 10:10:10 AM »

CARL WILSON LIVE on lead!! Love it, love it, thank you for posting.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »

The group was previewing the "Wild Honey" material. This is from one of the November, 1967 soundboard shows - Detroit, Nov. 17, New York, Nov 21, Boston, Nov. 23, Pittsburgh, Nov. 27. These are all documented on the 2-CD "Beach boys Live 1967 - A Vocal Element" bootleg.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »

killer stuff but I assume that's Mike playing the tannerin? that man should never have been given an instrument, let's be honest.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »

killer stuff but I assume that's Mike playing the tannerin? that man should never have been given an instrument, let's be honest.

Moog ribbon controller.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 10:46:51 AM »

This is from the Westchester County Civic Center in NY.  I was seated about 30 rows back ; I thought it was great, and the crowd was ok.  That is Mike on the theremin thing, I don't think it was a tannerin , and Bruce on Hammond B-3.  Carl sounded awesome. My recollection was that they debuted Darlin' that night too, which blew my doors off.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »

Daryl Dragon and Ron Brown on keys and bass respectively.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:54:11 AM »

This is from the Westchester County Civic Center in NY.  I was seated about 30 rows back ; I thought it was great, and the crowd was ok.  That is Mike on the theremin thing, I don't think it was a tannerin , and Bruce on Hammond B-3.  Carl sounded awesome. My recollection was that they debuted Darlin' that night too, which blew my doors off.

So to narrow it down, Ray, you saw this show at Westchester County Civic Center on Nov 21, 1967.  What a time to be a fan!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »

So to narrow it down, Ray, you saw this show at Westchester County Civic Center on Nov 21, 1967.  What a time to be a fan!

Yes, Mikie; first concert I was able to drive to !  They were really damn good; my biggest takeaway  I remember was that Al was singing most of Brian's parts
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »

Yes, Mikie; first concert I was able to drive to !  They were really damn good; my biggest takeaway  I remember was that Al was singing most of Brian's parts

He indeed took over most of the falsetto parts. Bruce stepped in for "I get around" "Wouldn't it be nice" "Fun, fun, fun" and probably a couple of others.

Ray, are you aware that the shows are out there in great sound? Sounds like multitrack to me so I wonder if they recorded these shows (there are 4 on A Vocal Element) as a substitution for Lei'd In Hawaii.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 11:13:35 AM »

If I remember correctly the November 1967 shows were recorded in mono on two-track tape for the band's own reference.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »

If I remember correctly the November 1967 shows were recorded in mono on two-track tape for the band's own reference.

Thanks for that info! Do you know why they recorded it? Just for having an idea how they sound or was it with a release in mind?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 11:17:33 AM »

Probably to hear how it sounded.

Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 11:19:11 AM »

He indeed took over most of the falsetto parts. Bruce stepped in for "I get around" "Wouldn't it be nice" "Fun, fun, fun" and probably a couple of others.

Ray, are you aware that the shows are out there in great sound? Sounds like multitrack to me so I wonder if they recorded these shows (there are 4 on A Vocal Element) as a substitution for Lei'd In Hawaii.

No that is the first time I heard Wild Honey since that night....that is really clean.  Totally sounds like a board mix.  I want a board mix of the Feb 1971 Carnagie Hall concert, the Whiskey with Brian 1970, and Seattle with Brian when Mike was "unavailable".  Those three ; that's all I need.  Not too much to ask !
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 12:01:18 PM »

That's what I recall reading/hearing too, and the recordings (which admittedly I haven't heard in quite awhile) sound like they are locked into whatever mix is being heard. Even a rough mix or all-faders-up mix from a multi-track source would probably sound a bit more spread-out and have a little more breathing room. I vaguely recall some or all of those '67 shows sound a bit over-driven in terms of volume.

Certainly very listenable and *releasable*!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »

That's what I recall reading/hearing too, and the recordings (which admittedly I haven't heard in quite awhile) sound like they are locked into whatever mix is being heard. Even a rough mix or all-faders-up mix from a multi-track source would probably sound a bit more spread-out and have a little more breathing room. I vaguely recall some or all of those '67 shows sound a bit over-driven in terms of volume.

Certainly very listenable and *releasable*!

In a boxset with the complete '65 Chicago show please!

This is from the Westchester County Civic Center in NY.  I was seated about 30 rows back ; I thought it was great, and the crowd was ok.  That is Mike on the theremin thing, I don't think it was a tannerin , and Bruce on Hammond B-3.  Carl sounded awesome. My recollection was that they debuted Darlin' that night too, which blew my doors off.

No that is the first time I heard Wild Honey since that night....that is really clean.  Totally sounds like a board mix.  I want a board mix of the Feb 1971 Carnagie Hall concert, the Whiskey with Brian 1970, and Seattle with Brian when Mike was "unavailable".  Those three ; that's all I need.  Not too much to ask !

I don't know if professional recordings of these exist but audience recordings for at least the '71 Carnegie and the Seattle (with Brian) shows make the rounds.

- Jack Rieley
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »

You mean '75 Beachago, I beieve...or is there a killer BB concert in Chicago during 1965 that I don't know about??

Carl sounds just a little tentative in this performance...shifting down in the bridges (which makes sense, actually, because those notes have got to be awfully hard to hit--we can tell that it's something of a strain in the studio version. Which is just another reason why it was great to have Blondie in the band for awhile to give it a different approach...and maybe a key change?).

Ray, and any/all who were there or know more details about this concert: did they go deeper into WH the LP beyond this track and Darlin'?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »

You mean '75 Beachago, I beieve...or is there a killer BB concert in Chicago during 1965 that I don't know about??

Carl sounds just a little tentative in this performance...shifting down in the bridges (which makes sense, actually, because those notes have got to be awfully hard to hit--we can tell that it's something of a strain in the studio version. Which is just another reason why it was great to have Blondie in the band for awhile to give it a different approach...and maybe a key change?).

Ray, and any/all who were there or know more details about this concert: did they go deeper into WH the LP beyond this track and Darlin'?

There's definitely a Chicago '65 recording. Little bits and pieces of it have been out there over the years on various official and unofficial releases.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:30:04 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx