gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 11:47:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Andrew Gold R.I.P.  (Read 3133 times)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »

Very sad to hear the news this evening that Andrew Gold had passed away at the age of only 59 .
Great song writer in hiw own right , and indeed a very big Brian/BB's fan - In fact I may be correct in that I think that he used to post ( not that I even look at that board anymore ) quite a bit on the Blueboard.

He even did a BB's cover EP of 3 songs , which is still available on I-Tunes.

His 'Lonely Boy' has always been one of my favourites
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »

It said on his Wiki that he worked with Brian Wilson. When did that happen?
Regardless, he did a lot of work in the 70's with Linda Rondstat and many others.
I guess besides "Lonely Boy" he will be most remembered for "Thank You For Being A Friend" which became the theme song for the Golden Girls TV show.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »

It said on his Wiki that he worked with Brian Wilson. When did that happen?
Regardless, he did a lot of work in the 70's with Linda Rondstat and many others.
I guess besides "Lonely Boy" he will be most remembered for "Thank You For Being A Friend" which became the theme song for the Golden Girls TV show.

Andrew appeared in and performed with Brian in 1995 on the Don Was documentary, "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times." Andrew was on of the background singers in the studio, along with Sweet Pea Atkinson, Sir Harry Bowens, Donald Ray Mitchell, Jeff Pescetto and Kip Lennon.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:28:38 PM »

And also , I believe that Andrew was also on the great Linda Ronstadt track 'Adios' from the late 80's that Brian did some rather great backing vocals on
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 09:58:35 PM »

True?  I love that song!
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 02:16:24 AM »

In the UK his biggest hit was 'Never Let Her Slip Away' which is still played constantly on radio. He also played with members of 10cc.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 05:57:14 AM »

He also played with members of 10cc.

He formed WAX with Graham Gouldman of 10cc. WAX was pretty cool, I love their song Bridge To Your Heart, that's one of the songs that always remind me of my childhood, and Right Between The Eyes is really good too.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:58:17 AM »

And also , I believe that Andrew was also on the great Linda Ronstadt track 'Adios' from the late 80's that Brian did some rather great backing vocals on

No, he wasn´t.

Andrew did a perfect cover of "Marcella" which can be found on his CD "Leftovers" (1998) - worth seeking out!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »

RIP Andrew. Really sad.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »

I'm not very familiar with most of his work but I can't recommend enough his album Greeting From Planet Love under the fake band name The Fraternal Order of It All. Similar to XTC's Dukes of Stratosphere or Utopia's Deface The Music (and you'd be fooled into thinking it's a lost classic if not for the electric/programmed drums): lots of references to the Beach Boys (check this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-icawyoymg or the acapella intro to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__W8lRz9x40&feature=related , the Beatles, Dylan (one song is like Ballad of thin man meets I am the Walrus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ84YZIMj-8) The Byrds (for a while I thought he was covering a actual McGuinn song! kind of what Roger thought when he heard Petty's American Girl); not only clever pastiches but also some really timeless songs.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »

I had his "Essential Collection" lying around for a while, and I finally got around to putting it on today. So far I like what I'm hearing.  Smiley

BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 07:52:33 AM »

"Thank You For Being a Friend" sounds like it could be a Beach Boys song.  Always thought the last time he sings "Thank You for Being a Friend" in the song he sounded just like Mike.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 08:18:25 AM »

"Thank You For Being a Friend" sounds like it could be a Beach Boys song.  Always thought the last time he sings "Thank You for Being a Friend" in the song he sounded just like Mike.
I can also imagine Carl singing a shortened (and harmonized) version of it on an 80's BBs LP.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 08:20:02 AM »

Gold said in an interview (ESQ?) that he sang it in a Mike Love manner as a tribute to the BBs.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx