gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681239 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4080 Members - Latest Member: endoftheshow May 30, 2024, 08:09:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surfer Girl trumps A Hard Days Night?  (Read 7446 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: May 09, 2012, 05:46:14 AM »

A Hard Days Night is often cited as being the first great pop record wherein each song was an original wriiten by the band. Also, upon hearing Rubber Soul Brian stated his intention to compete by making an album of all original material.

However... correct me if i'm wrong but surely the Surfer Girl album (twelve tracks each with a Brian Wilson writing credit) came before any of this, and thus it should be the Beach Boys and not the Beatles who recieve the credit here. No?
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 06:02:15 AM »

Two tracks are "trad. arr. B. Wilson". Clearly there's a lot of filler on there whereas AHDN has eight or nine quality songs.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 06:22:02 AM »

Two tracks are "trad. arr. B. Wilson". Clearly there's a lot of filler on there whereas AHDN has eight or nine quality songs.

South Bay Surfer aside - where's the filler? The two instrumentals are absolutely great, especially the Rocking Surfer.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:26:19 AM »

One glaringly B I G  hole in your case (aside from the two songs mentioned above which Brian merely arranged) is the line "each song was an original wriiten by the band."

Unless Roger Christian (Little Deuce Coup), Gary Usher (In My Room), or Bob Norberg (Your Summer Dream) were in the Beach Boys, Surfer Girl was not a full album where each song was an original wriiten by the band.

In fact I believe the first (and possibly only) album where the writing was completely self contained within the group was Love You in 1977... drat except for Ding Dang which was cowritten with Roger McGuinn... so yeah. I don't think any beach Boys album has ever been 100% self contained with regards to the writing. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:35:28 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 06:32:11 AM »

One glaringly B I G  hole in your case (aside from the two songs mentioned above which Brian merely arranged) is the line "each song was an original wriiten by the band."

Unless Roger Christian (Little Deuce Coup), Gary Usher (In My Room), or Bob Norberg (Your Summer Dream) were in the Beach Boys, Surfer Girl was not a full album where each song was an original wriiten by the band.

Well by that argument neither is Pet Sounds (Tony Asher), Smile (Van Dyke Parks), erm, almost any Beach Boy album at all in fact up until Love You (and even then there's Ding Dang...)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 06:36:10 AM »

Well by that argument neither is Pet Sounds (Tony Asher), Smile (Van Dyke Parks), erm, almost any Beach Boy album at all in fact up until Love You (and even then there's Ding Dang...)

That is correct. There has never been a Beach Boys album that was 100% written by the band.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 07:20:54 AM »

That is correct. There has never been a Beach Boys album that was 100% written by the band.

Stack-O-Tracks. As far as we know, not a single thing on the recordings on there was written by a non-band-member.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 07:22:50 AM »

Stack-O-Tracks. As far as we know, not a single thing on the recordings on there was written by a non-band-member.

hahaha.. Sloop John B.  Grin
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 08:07:15 AM »

The belief that bands should write their own songs tends to be more associated with rock than pop. I don't think it matters that an album essentially marketed as pop is 100% band composed. And that whole rock purity thing is hackneyed anyway given how many riffs are recycled in rock (Surfin USA, etc)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »

The belief that bands should write their own songs tends to be more associated with rock than pop. I don't think it matters that an album essentially marketed as pop is 100% band composed. And that whole rock purity thing is hackneyed anyway given how many riffs are recycled in rock (Surfin USA, etc)

So true. The Beatles created a standard everyone in Rock feels obligated to adhere to I guess (though I guess Buddy Holly was the real innovator in that regard).
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »

I'm pretty sure South Bay Surfer's melody is ripped off of a Stephen Foster song, so I would in no way put that in the category of an original song.  I also agree with the filler comment.  Hard Days Night was just too consistent to be "trumped" by Surfer Girl in this way.  Pretty negative introductory post, but hello to SmileySmile anyways!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »

I'm pretty sure South Bay Surfer's melody is ripped off of a Stephen Foster song, so I would in no way put that in the category of an original song.  I also agree with the filler comment.  Hard Days Night was just too consistent to be "trumped" by Surfer Girl in this way.  Pretty negative introductory post, but hello to SmileySmile anyways!

I've been on here months, glad to see i've made an impression. And again, South Bay Surfer aside, where's the filler on Surfer Girl?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »

Surfer Girl - classic
Catch A Wave - almost classic
Sufer Moon - decent song, not my favourite but good enough to make the GV boxset
South Bay Surfer - filler, but fun
Rocking Surfer - cracking, catchy instrumental
Little deuce Coupe - classic
In My Room - absolute stone-cold gorgeous classic with a capital C
Hawaii - great catchy song
Surfers Rule - terrific Dennis vocal, lovely harmonic chorus
Car Club - ok song, not a personal fave but good
Summer Dream - gorgeously sung, early BW-vocal highlight
BW - another catchy instrumental and nice way to close the album

Obviously some folks disagree with my assesments, but hey ho...
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 09:11:56 AM »

I agree with the OP.

Surfer Girl contains no filler IMO, and is, as far as I'm concerned, musically greater than anything the Beatles ever recorded. If anyone takes umbrage with this statement, I invite them to piss off to a Beatles site and post there instead!

Lyrical collaboration is irrelevant. Bar the Foster song, these are all original songs. Just another example of the Beatles getting the credit for something they didn't do. They made a career of that!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »

I've been on here months, glad to see i've made an impression. And again, South Bay Surfer aside, where's the filler on Surfer Girl?

Defensive much? The Pretty negative introductory post he was referring to was his own post. 

I honestly don't believe there is any filler on Surfer Girl either. I can't think of any album before Sunflower that had anything I personally would consider filler. But the facts are, love them or hate them, the Beatles were a 100% self contained writing machine from Rubber Soul through to the White Album (Maggie May from Let It Be and the words to Golden Slumbers disqualify their respective albums). The Beach Boys can't say the same. Not a matter of opinion.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »

Surfer Girl contains no filler IMO

I agree with this part of the statement 100%. It's the first Brian Wilson masterpiece, in my mind. Look at that song lineup. All killa, no filla. Some things might be light and fun but that doesn't make them less valid. Surfer Girl is easily in my top 5 Beach Boys albums, and there's alot of competition there, so that's saying something.

I don't want to get into another Beatle pissing contest and don't feel like comparing the two. Both great, both different. Naturally, I like The Beach Boys more and always will, but that's how I'm wired.

Catch A Wave - almost classic

Fixed that for you.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 10:07:10 AM »

Yes, just ignore me. OldSurferDude has Myke, I have the Beatles.

I suppose they're OK.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:31 AM »

I honestly don't believe there is any filler on Surfer Girl either. I can't think of any album before Sunflower that had anything I personally would consider filler. But the facts are, love them or hate them, the Beatles were a 100% self contained writing machine from Rubber Soul through to the White Album (Maggie May from Let It Be and the words to Golden Slumbers disqualify their respective albums). The Beach Boys can't say the same. Not a matter of opinion.

*Cough* Bull Session with the 'Big Daddy' *Cough* Our Favourite Recording Sessions *Cough* "Cassius" Love Vs. "Sonny" Wilson *Cough*...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »

*Cough* Bull Session with the 'Big Daddy' *Cough* Our Favourite Recording Sessions *Cough* "Cassius" Love Vs. "Sonny" Wilson *Cough*...

I love those tracks. It's all part of The Essential Beach Boys Experience! Right? No? Oh.  Cry
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »

Both albums are equal, in my opinion. But for me, All Summer Long kicks the sh*t out of A Hard Day's Night. I think I just prefer Beach Boys filler to Beatles filler.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 10:31:22 AM »

hahaha.. Sloop John B.  Grin

Nope. The melody isn't in there anywhere.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »

hahaha.. Sloop John B.  Grin
Nope. The melody isn't in there anywhere.

Pretty sure the song writing credits say something to the effect that it is a Brian Wilson arrangement of a traditional song. He arranged the backing track. Arranged. A-R-R-A-N-G-E-D. Arranged, as in "not the original composer". The credits do not read trad. Melody with backing backing track composed by Brian Wilson. You stretch the point much more and you are libel to end up with stretch marks.  Tongue

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:14:29 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 11:08:02 AM »

Question: Am I the only person in the world who recognises and gets driven up the wall by how grating 'Hawaii' is?! When I first was becoming a fan, I thought that the track's inclusion on multiple compilations was some sort of practical joke!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Paulos
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »

Question: Am I the only person in the world who recognises and gets driven up the wall by how grating 'Hawaii' is?! When I first was becoming a fan, I thought that the track's inclusion on multiple compilations was some sort of practical joke!

I'm sure you're not the only one who hates it but I love Hawaii, especially the live versions with the extra backing vocals on the verses.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »

I love those tracks. It's all part of The Essential Beach Boys Experience! Right? No? Oh.  Cry

Okay, to be honest, i too enjoy all but Bull Session - I find no enjoyment in that track whatsoever.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx