gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 05:23:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to discuss 'Pleasure Island' this Saturday.  (Read 18682 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2008, 01:59:29 AM »

In my naive optimism i'd like to think he'd put out a brand new album next year, nothing too laboured just a collection of new tunes with a bit of enthusiasm. As long as there's no spoken word interludes on it - I don't want to hear any more of that nonsense!

So you hate 'California Saga' then?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2008, 02:08:41 AM »

In my naive optimism i'd like to think he'd put out a brand new album next year, nothing too laboured just a collection of new tunes with a bit of enthusiasm. As long as there's no spoken word interludes on it - I don't want to hear any more of that nonsense!

Yep! - and don't get me started on the intro of 'Santa ana winds'!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:09:58 AM by matt-zeus » Logged

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2008, 02:16:23 AM »

So you won't buy the Kalinich record either when it comes out?

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2008, 03:46:27 AM »

No, not my bag

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2008, 03:52:06 AM »

No, not my bag

Not mine either. I read one poem of his (included in the Kingsley Abbott book on Pet Sounds, I think). It's not poetry. It's a more or less randomized series of words eulogizing Brian Wilson. Which is something else.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2008, 05:26:15 AM »

It's not poetry. It's a more or less randomized series of words eulogizing Brian Wilson.
That could describe this message board.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2008, 01:33:08 PM »

A rock album might work about now.  Brian's voice is shot except for his raspy rock voice and semi-high b/r vocal voice.

Also, Brian really has been wanting to get 'Proud Mary' on an album for ages.  Personally, I love his 'PM' synth groove though I know many don't.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2008, 10:49:30 PM »

How can anyone NOT like California Saga? The spoken word parts on that aren't as cringe-worhty as the otherwise excellent TLOS.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2008, 11:47:58 PM »

I dont think the spoken word parts on TLOS are that bad, they add to the music and lend the album gravitas. At any rate doing that kind of thing is a pretty big risk for a popular artist, or once-popular artist. It is an ambitious and arty undertaking, and I would rather see Brian(and co--I really think TLOS is a collaborative effort--I sort of wish they would call himself "the Brian Wilson Band" rather than "Brian Wilson) take some risks than just half-assedly put out a collection of songs. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2008, 12:59:53 AM »

It's not poetry. It's a more or less randomized series of words eulogizing Brian Wilson.
That could describe this message board.

Aegir, your humor kills me. Not for the first time. Wetting pants situation.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »

Has this interview happened yet? I'm not sure of the time difference but if anyone has any info I'd be keen to hear what brian has to say about this proposed album.

Many thanks!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »

It's a great show. Played loads of good and lesser-known BBs numbers throughout. Brian's obviously a Republican and voted for McCain. Rattled through lots of good questions and got some quick answers, not a bad strategy actually, given the tight responses. Actually the best interview I've heard or read in the last year or 2 (not saying much).  Interview about 1:33 into the show, link:

http://mp3archives.wfmu.org/archive/kdb/mp3jump.mp3/0:7:19/0/SH/sh081122.mp3
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2008, 02:40:52 PM »

Oh, and Pleasure Island - he's not writing the songs, just currently thinking about it. No mention of Pinnochio, rather a bunch of teenagers who discover an island...
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2008, 02:47:27 PM »

Oh, and Pleasure Island - he's not writing the songs, just currently thinking about it. No mention of Pinnochio, rather a bunch of teenagers who discover an island...

Wooo Hooo - Scooby Doo!!
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2008, 03:06:10 PM »

And the monster turns out to have been... Murry/Mike/Record label execs/Landy ... all along !
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »

In that case I'm Brad Pitt- not sleeping with Angelina, just currently thinking about it!

Brian didn't have a title for PS in 66. Mike came up with that but now he has titles before a note is recorded?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »

That was a great interview. I really enjoyed it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »

Well we know he's just had a fairly productive writing spree, which must have had something to do with Capitol signing him...

We do Huh  It was Huh  Must have been napping and missed that one.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2008, 10:59:24 PM »

Brian's obviously a Republican and voted for McCain.

Wait, what??!!!!! Huh Huh Huh NOOOO!!! I didn't really need to know that.

I doubt Brian's ever really been that political, anyway.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2008, 12:39:26 AM »

Well we know he's just had a fairly productive writing spree, which must have had something to do with Capitol signing him...

AGD, why the sarcasm? Brian wrote a load of new songs including the TLOS stuff, Message man etc. which I think it's reasonable to describe as a 'fairly productive writing spree' especially by his standards. I have no idea of the specifics of Capitol's signing Brian but ventured that I it was related to his apparent creative rejuvenation, which is surely not an absurd proposition.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2008, 12:54:50 AM »

I think it was because he was commisioned to write it and once he had signed a deal he was bound to it.
The good reviews in London made Capitol think it was a good decision to record it. Business, pure and simple.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2008, 12:57:20 AM »

I don't think he has been in the past, either. But now it appears he is.  Embarrassed

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2008, 01:18:49 AM »

AGD, why the sarcasm? Brian wrote a load of new songs including the TLOS stuff, Message man etc. which I think it's reasonable to describe as a 'fairly productive writing spree' especially by his standards. I have no idea of the specifics of Capitol's signing Brian but ventured that I it was related to his apparent creative rejuvenation, which is surely not an absurd proposition.

Your definition of "just" is evidently a lot different to mine - the bulk of the TLOS stuff was composed summer 2006, and "Message Man" sounds awfully like 1995's "Marketplace" to these ears.

As for the specifics of the Capitol signing, I'd venture it was a combination of a desire to shift units and an equal desire for column inches, on the part of both parties. I'm awaiting the post-TLOS developments with uncommon interest. As for Pleasure Island, granted we've only have a working title and a few words of description to go on... but in my view it sounds just awful.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2008, 01:34:24 AM »

Really, the world of the BB has been pretty close to all things conservative for quite a long time, so this sure doesn't come as a big surprise. Me, I couldn't care less as long as he doesn't feel inclined to write a song about his political worldview (no matter who he voted for).
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2008, 03:15:15 AM »

Your definition of "just" is evidently a lot different to mine - the bulk of the TLOS stuff was composed summer 2006, and "Message Man" sounds awfully like 1995's "Marketplace" to these ears.

Andrew, may I ask why it matters that it wasn't written in recent (at least recent enough for you) times? I have just never understood why that matters... to me, if Pet Sounds was written in 1964 and not released until 1966, I would just think 'who cares'.

And the same goes for when people say "well Brian just recycled this melody from some unreleased song"... well first off, how is that bad? He still wrote it and secondly we really aren't supposed to hear that unreleased stuff now are we? So I think it's fair enough that artists recycle their unused stuff.

But yeah I agree with buddhahat, it has been a fairly productive time for Brian considering everything... I mean the man isn't 20 years old anymore and isn't 100% mentally of course. And besides, artists these days (on the whole) don't release as much stuff as they did back then anyway.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx