gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 04:13:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update from Bruce: Reagan Tribute  (Read 10870 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »

Last night our band, along with Mike, Al, and myself, got together for a run through of tonight's short BB set which is part of the Ronald Reagan birthday program. We all met in the library room of the Westlake Four Seasons for an hour and a half and we quite easily refocused a few vocal parts. It was easy, fun, and a pleasure to sing once again with Al.

Scott Totten was his 'usual great BB music director self' and he quickly pulled everything together last night. Matt Jardine was also there and I think he might join us tonight for a couple of songs along with John Stamos.

I'm disappointed that Brian Wilson is unavailable for this event and I know he would have had a really great musical evening rehearsing the music. Scott took a few photos of the song run through and a partial video of us going over "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" even though we won't be singing it tonight.

It was a perfect Friday night in Southern California!

Bruce Johnston
Westlake, California (one hour drive from my house)
February 5, 2011

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »

i think inviting brian was nice of mike.  But i think he knew brian couldn't make it.  It was a nice gesture more than anything.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:52:35 AM »

Oh, to have been there and heard Their Hearts...

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »

Last night our band, along with Mike, Al, and myself, got together for a run through of tonight's short BB set which is part of the Ronald Reagan birthday program. We all met in the library room of the Westlake Four Seasons for an hour and a half and we quite easily refocused a few vocal parts. It was easy, fun, and a pleasure to sing once again with Al.

Scott Totten was his 'usual great BB music director self' and he quickly pulled everything together last night. Matt Jardine was also there and I think he might join us tonight for a couple of songs along with John Stamos.

I'm disappointed that Brian Wilson is unavailable for this event and I know he would have had a really great musical evening rehearsing the music. Scott took a few photos of the song run through and a partial video of us going over "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" even though we won't be singing it tonight.

Bruce Johnston
February 5, 2011

And that just dropped into your email inbox ?  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:58:40 AM »

i think inviting brian was nice of mike.  But i think he knew brian couldn't make it.  It was a nice gesture more than anything.

You keep on thinking Butch, that's what you're good at.  Smiley

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »

Nice to know that they're working together again...but Reagan? Really?  Shocked

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »

Looks like Stamos is gonna be there after all. Be very afraid.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »

Why the eye-rolling ?  The BB have an historical association with the Reagan administration (and Dennis had a somewhat more personal connection with the family), so their being invited wasn't exactly a shocker.

Into every life, a little rain must fall. Or in this case, a prolonged shower of sh*t.  Angry
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:09:35 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »

Get over it, guys.  Anyone who has promoted Dennis' song 'Forever' like Stamos has is OK in my book.

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 11:00:53 AM »

Don't forget, Reagan was the one who arranged for Dennis Wilson to be given a burial at sea.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »

Haha, you know where BJ posts:

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=Bellagio

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »

Oh, to have been there and heard Their Hearts...

Well, here's HEARTS at Reagan's inaugural in January, 1985:

http://video.mail.ru/mail/barabash.89/2506/2519.html

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 11:54:16 AM »

Get over it, guys.  Anyone who has promoted Dennis' song 'Forever' like Stamos has is OK in my book.

OK:

Promoting "Forever", +5

Co-producing An American Family, -1,000,000,000,000.

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »

OK:

Promoting "Forever", +5

^ This.

Has anybody asked Bruce about SMiLE on that board? Haven't the time to check the board out right now. Don't know if he would/could say anything right now anyway.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »

OK:

Promoting "Forever", +5

^ This.

Has anybody asked Bruce about SMiLE on that board? Haven't the time to check the board out right now. Don't know if he would/could say anything right now anyway.

Well, Bruce is a bit busy right now, and given Alan's little slip earlier this week, I seriously doubt he'd add anything.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 01:37:56 PM »

How this band continues to think they need a gimmick such as Stamos to make themselves look cool is beyond me. Honestly? Stamos in 2011? At least he was somewhat popular in '88.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »

How this band continues to think they need a gimmick such as Stamos to make themselves look cool is beyond me. Honestly? Stamos in 2011? At least he was somewhat popular in '88.

He's also a great musician....that may have something to do with his continued stay in the band.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »

Is it true that Stamos is senior consultant on the proposed summer SMiLE package?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »

Is it true that Stamos is senior consultant on the proposed summer SMiLE package?

Not. Funny.

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 02:27:09 PM »

I am NOT a  Stamos fan by any means of the imagination ( I really, really don't care for him),however I don't think it's wrong for the guys to have somebody in their band that is, well, their friend. He's been a champion for these BB's for years, so of course he's one of Mike's boys. Doesn't matter if we don't like him, and I don't think they do it to 'make themselves look cool', I think they do it because he's their friend.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »

Yeah, I fucking hate Full House with a passion but I don't think anyone could deny Stamos is as big a fan as they come.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was a regular reader of this board.  If he wants to do it and they want him, why not?
Val
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »

Bruce Johnston
February 5, 2011

..And I think there was a name at the very  top of that message from Bruce,  which you have omitted, Pong Hit!  It's OK - I'm not turning all "precious" on you - can't abide people like that.   Glad you shared it with the lovely folks on here and Greetings to all at SSDN, from BBB  Cool

A Big  Fan of this Board - even though you can be very naughty at times!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »

Not. Funny.

I bet if Landy were still around (living & in Brian's inner circle), HE'D somehow worm his way into a production credit.  Let's be thankful he's not (in Brian's inner circle).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 02:04:44 AM »

I am NOT a  Stamos fan by any means of the imagination ( I really, really don't care for him),however I don't think it's wrong for the guys to have somebody in their band that is, well, their friend. He's been a champion for these BB's for years, so of course he's one of Mike's boys. Doesn't matter if we don't like him, and I don't think they do it to 'make themselves look cool', I think they do it because he's their friend.

Actually, would have been amusing if Brian had shown: imagine the rehearsal. "Brian, this is the guy who had a major say in making you look like a drooling mentally handicapped person in that primetime TV series ten years ago. Remember, the one where you had to get a disclaimer inserted ?"

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 03:11:15 AM »

Actually, would have been amusing if Brian had shown: imagine the rehearsal. "Brian, this is the guy who had a major say in making you look like a drooling mentally handicapped person in that primetime TV series ten years ago. Remember, the one where you had to get a disclaimer inserted ?"

SO:
Stamos is a friend of Mike/Bruce/? and from Al's reports Brian/camp has agreed to do some degree of reunion activities. Will Stamos be a part of that, as Mike's friend/bandmate?  Or will it be part of the proviso from Brian that he be barred from being in the Backujp band?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx