gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680934 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 04:49:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Double Tracking Made Easy  (Read 3192 times)
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »

I'll explain it in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lMXXoTcKjE
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »

Sounds more like flanging than double tracking.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 11:27:57 AM »

It did sound a wee bit flanged. Though it gave me an idea to double-track with one track normal and the other auto-tuned. However, I can NEVER get autotune to work properly.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »

It probably depends on the singer. Freddie Mercury hits his notes perfectly, so it sounds more flanged, but Mike Love doesn't hit all his notes perfectly, so it sounds more doubletracked.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »

It probably depends on the singer. Freddie Mercury hits his notes perfectly, so it sounds more flanged, but Mike Love doesn't hit all his notes perfectly, so it sounds more doubletracked.

The very term "flanged" comes from the nonsense description of "Automatic Double Tracking (ADT)" given to John Lennon by George Martin after EMI engineer Ken Townshend pioneered the technique.  A more natural doubling effect can be achieved by creating a copy of the original vocal part and offsetting it by a fraction of a second from the original.  Sometimes adding some subtle reverb to one of the vocals can enhance this a bit.  I hesitate to use pitch correction at all, since some of my favorite vocalists have a tendency to waver a bit...

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:02:35 PM »

A more natural doubling effect can be achieved by creating a copy of the original vocal part and offsetting it by a fraction of a second from the original. 
An even more natural doubling effect can be achieved by singing it twice.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »

A more natural doubling effect can be achieved by creating a copy of the original vocal part and offsetting it by a fraction of a second from the original. 
An even more natural doubling effect can be achieved by singing it twice.

Yes, but when your working with decades old vocal tracks (and, on occasion, deceased vocalists) that's a difficult proposition.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »

Fair enough. Unless, say, you can raise the dead. I am going to go see if I can raise the dead right now. [please hold] Nope. I couldn't.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »

It did sound a wee bit flanged. Though it gave me an idea to double-track with one track normal and the other auto-tuned. However, I can NEVER get autotune to work properly.

Loooove the T-Pain/Cher effect...not.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 03:46:51 AM »

That sounds utterly, utterly dreadful.  More to the point - why ?  The original vocal was impeccable.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »

Loooove the T-Pain/Cher effect...not.

I agree, but there is nothing wrong with experimenting. There is a difference between a mellow auto-tune and full-blast T-Pain effect.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »

A terrible mistake in making music is deciding that certain tools are out of bounds. Dedication to something, or avoidance of something else, does nothing but pigeon-hole you. There is nothing wrong with autotune, just like there is nothing wrong with any other effect or tool. (What else could we have shunned to our own detriment? Digital recording, synthesizers, rack unit or pedal effects, multitracking, tape splicing, electricity itself ... you get the point.) The lazy use of any such tool, though--and by lazy I mean mindlessly following a trend--is annoying. Eventually the cream rises regardless. (This thread probably belongs in the Smiley Smilers Who Make Music forum, btw.)

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 09:34:19 PM »

In my opinion, that sounds awsome!  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx