gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681083 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 11:19:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GOOD VIBRATIONS promo video ex-ci-ta-tions  (Read 48357 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »

Knock it off, or you're going to be banned. You started it. Don't call foul when people throw your sh*t back in your face. And testing the mods on this matter is not exactly going to end very well for you and your continued membership here. Just a thought.

Ban away Manual.

To say I started this just shows you haven't been reading the thread.

Great,it's OK for you moderators throwing F bombs at 'me' but it's my fault I find that offensive?  
What sh*t? I simply repeated his words back to him back to him.You guys are the ones using all the profanity but ya wanna ban me?  Priceless!

I keep telling you guys, poke at me and I'll poke back.

If you want to discuss it, email me.  I very much hope this is the last post regarding this subject.

Or ban me, whatever!  Believe me, any end to this crap will be well (come).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:00:26 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »

Some of the connections between the discredited bio's account of Brian's 2nd trip & the GV film are:

1) Fire engines
2) Firemen
3) Things going backward in time
4) An apartment
5) Firemen falling down & stuff like that
6) Barbara Rovell

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »

OK, let's not ban anybody here.  Nobody needs to get banned for anything.  Surfrider and the moderators have expressed themselves and I think everybody understands one another's concerns and differences of opinion. So now everybody just cool it and we move forward; can we do that?  It's all good.  Really.

Is this thread done or is there more to talk about here?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2011, 03:47:13 PM »

Surfrider and the moderators have expressed themselves and I think everybody understands one another's concerns and differences of opinion. So now everybody just cool it and we move forward; can we do that?  It's all good.  Really.

As long as that's the final word on the subject, I'm good with that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: September 11, 2011, 03:53:03 PM »

I don't think the actual topic of the GV film is done yet: There is some new information within this thread about the Good Vibrations film which hasn't been published nor discussed anywhere previously, some new photos, and some new responses from one Jules Siegel which contain information which *may* lead somewhere very cool. That is, if it pans out...and that's in the process. Sometimes the best answers can be found right in your own backyard. Or in this case, people who I actually listened to on the radio, and hopefully it will turn into something.

Don't let the thread fade out, there might be something interesting around the corner. Hopefully!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: September 11, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »

Regarding Good Vibrations & the promo video....

Looking for connections here. Who knows what it's all about? Provide your stuff.

If you've got NOTHING under your hats, try my prior post.

Some of the connections between the discredited bio's account of Brian's 2nd trip & the GV film are:

1) Fire engines
2) Firemen
4) An apartment
6) Barbara Rovell

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2011, 04:03:51 PM »

Where did Jules Siegel live at that time?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »

I don't think the actual topic of the GV film is done yet: There is some new information within this thread about the Good Vibrations film which hasn't been published nor discussed anywhere previously, some new photos, and some new responses from one Jules Siegel which contain information which *may* lead somewhere very cool. That is, if it pans out...and that's in the process. Sometimes the best answers can be found right in your own backyard. Or in this case, people who I actually listened to on the radio, and hopefully it will turn into something.

Don't let the thread fade out, there might be something interesting around the corner. Hopefully!
That's how it usually is. Thing is, this is arguably the best time to be a BB fan since the glory days. It's not just the fact that the TSS box set is going to be released; it's what that *means*. Any new BB converts that the set will bring will actually be way more informed than a lot of us who became fans in the years post-Kokomo* were. A lot of the mysteries have been solved, and a lot of myths have been busted.

*-I use the term "post-Kokomo" as that song was basically the end of the BB being taken seriously as current artists. I didn't become a fan myself until 1995, and 1997 is the year my fandom really became more of an obsession. For what it's worth, the biggest thing that we had to look forward to that year was the release of The Wilsons cd. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »

What's the opposite of 'myths busted'?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »

Unbusted?

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »

I would say that SMiLE's initial promise is well founded and that the hype from those days was completely justified!!!!

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2011, 04:35:33 PM »

6) Barbara Rovell

What's this about?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »

I incorrectly said:

I would say that SMiLE's initial promise is well founded and that the hype from those days was completely justified!!!!

Actually the hype from those days doesn't do it justice. I was a few levels beyond the hype.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »

*-I use the term "post-Kokomo" as that song was basically the end of the BB being taken seriously as current artists.
Kokomo was a left field occurrence. The Beach Boys hadn't had a record contract in years when that happened. It really was a one off...a novelty...a fluke. The Beach Boys hadn't been taken seriously as current artists since the "Here Comes The Night" fiasco ten years earlier, and prior to that they'd been on the thinnest of ice since the sellout-fest 15BO left such a bad taste around the industry and fandom. I really think 1985 is the absolute cutoff, if there is one. Ω
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2011, 05:21:55 PM »

Yeah...I'd agree on 1985, as that at least was a genuine BB album.

Sorry to derail the thread :D

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2011, 05:46:18 PM »

That's how it usually is. Thing is, this is arguably the best time to be a BB fan since the glory days. It's not just the fact that the TSS box set is going to be released; it's what that *means*. Any new BB converts that the set will bring will actually be way more informed than a lot of us who became fans in the years post-Kokomo* were. A lot of the mysteries have been solved, and a lot of myths have been busted.

*-I use the term "post-Kokomo" as that song was basically the end of the BB being taken seriously as current artists. I didn't become a fan myself until 1995, and 1997 is the year my fandom really became more of an obsession. For what it's worth, the biggest thing that we had to look forward to that year was the release of The Wilsons cd. LOL

This is a very good post, it put a smile on my face (seriously, no pun!). I grew up with the Beach Boys music in the house (specifically Best Of vol. 2 on 8 track) but knowing none of the history or backstories. That obsession started for real around 1991-92, and took off big time in 1993 when I got those parts of Smile that were able to be gotten on a cassette and saved up for the silverdiscs when possible, got the official box set, and got LLVS at Tower Records, to add to the preiss book which I scored at a flea market. Then seeing "American Band"...I had to track down that VHS at video stores all over Boston, finally finding an old copy. The infamous "Worms" video...that wasn't. Wink

The pursuit was fun, but to be a fan coming into all of this right now...as you said Billy C, what an amazing time. Beyond purchasing the box set in November, what incredible amounts of material are already out there for free, or by emailing or searching YouTube. Videos that were simply not available except by mail and sending an SASE to a collector for a current list or calling an ad in Goldmine are available after a few clicks. Amazing.

I will say that even in spite of the Kokomo/Full House/Home Improvements/Wipe Out public image, in the early to mid 90's there was a lot of Smile talk bubbling under among underground bands and musicians, and some of it came out in more mainstream bands when musicians like Billy Corgan or Todd Rundgren would name-check Smile in interviews. The bigger influence of Smile and Pet Sounds was there among musicians of a certain mindset, and they separated what they saw on network television versus the music in their collections.

Looking back, perhaps the nadir was the Beach Boys-Fat Boys collaboration which I remember being in pretty heavy rotation on MTV. No one talks about that too much. Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »

This is a very good post, it put a smile on my face (seriously, no pun!). I grew up with the Beach Boys music in the house (specifically Best Of vol. 2 on 8 track) but knowing none of the history or backstories. That obsession started for real around 1991-92, and took off big time in 1993 when I got those parts of Smile that were able to be gotten on a cassette and saved up for the Looking back, perhaps the nadir was the Beach Boys-Fat Boys collaboration which I remember being in pretty heavy rotation on MTV. No one talks about that too much. Cheesy

My local roller skating rink has the BB/FB Wipe Out on CONSTANT ROTATION. Seriously. I actually like that one know too.  LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2011, 11:24:20 PM »

This is a very good post, it put a smile on my face (seriously, no pun!). I grew up with the Beach Boys music in the house (specifically Best Of vol. 2 on 8 track) but knowing none of the history or backstories. That obsession started for real around 1991-92, and took off big time in 1993 when I got those parts of Smile that were able to be gotten on a cassette and saved up for the Looking back, perhaps the nadir was the Beach Boys-Fat Boys collaboration which I remember being in pretty heavy rotation on MTV. No one talks about that too much. Cheesy

My local roller skating rink has the BB/FB Wipe Out on CONSTANT ROTATION. Seriously. I actually like that one know too.  LOL

That's cool, I have to say at that time it was on the air I didn't mind hearing that song whenever it was on MTV, it was pretty fun for what it was in context: But talking about the big picture of BB's history, it's rarely mentioned if ever discussed at all, and I'm guessing that is on purpose. Was that around '87? I honestly don't remember and won't look it up... Grin

One thing to consider is how fans of, say, Pet Sounds or Sunflower reacted to it when they first saw the video. "Is this the same band???".

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2011, 01:57:48 AM »

One thing to consider is how fans of, say, Pet Sounds or Sunflower reacted to it when they first saw the video. "Is this the same band???".

They broke into uncontrollable weeping?  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: September 12, 2011, 02:40:03 AM »

1) Fire engines
2) Firemen
4) An apartment
6) Barbara Rovell

True... an uncanny coincidence, wouldn't you say ?  It's almost as if Todd Gold had actually seen the video before he wrote that.  Wink

Where did Jules Siegel live at that time?

Until he moved to Mexico in 1981, he lived in NYC: obviously while writing the SEP article, he was based in LA for the duration (late September to at least early 1967).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:10:14 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #245 on: September 12, 2011, 03:17:49 AM »

*-I use the term "post-Kokomo" as that song was basically the end of the BB being taken seriously as current artists.
Kokomo was a left field occurrence. The Beach Boys hadn't had a record contract in years when that happened. It really was a one off...a novelty...a fluke. The Beach Boys hadn't been taken seriously as current artists since the "Here Comes The Night" fiasco ten years earlier, and prior to that they'd been on the thinnest of ice since the sellout-fest 15BO left such a bad taste around the industry and fandom. I really think 1985 is the absolute cutoff, if there is one. Ω
Nailed it.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: September 12, 2011, 06:43:38 AM »

FWIW, Brian did perform "Forever" in 2001 and 2002. The first time I heard him sing it was seriously one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. If you didn't believe in God, an afterlife, or whatever, believe me, if you had been at the Garden State Arts Center at the Brian/Paul Simon show in 2001, you would have instantly become a believer.

When Brian sang "Forever," it was absolutely not Brian. It wasn't Brian on stage, it wasn't even Brian's voice. The tall guy behind the keyboard sang "Forever" with both of his eyes closed and both hands on the microphone...and God help me, it was Dennis's voice that came out of his mouth. Brian was most certainly channeling his brother. (BTW, it was originally the plan that Brian would sing that at the TNT Tribute in 2001, but it was cut due to time; the band had already known it well because of that because they rehearsed it for the tribute.)

I seriously doubt Brian's default attitude toward Dennis is hostility 100% of the time; my guess is that Jon might have caught him at the wrong times...why else would Brian sing Denny's song on two tours?

Brian singing "Forever" in 2002 was the only time in my life I was close to tears at a concert. Cry

But the fact that Landy had Brian "estranged" from Dennis at the time of Dennis's death might significantly complicate how Brian feels about the situation.

What is the source of this fact? (In this thread I have to point out that this question is not supposed to be a provocation, it is just a question.) I don't remember reading that before.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: September 12, 2011, 06:51:16 AM »

But the fact that Landy had Brian "estranged" from Dennis at the time of Dennis's death might significantly complicate how Brian feels about the situation.
What is the source of this fact? (In this thread I have to point out that this question is not supposed to be a provocation, it is just a question.) I don't remember reading that before.

Inasmuch as Landy had Brian estranged from everyone, including his family, who wasn't on his payroll at that point in his life, yes, it's true. Oddly, one point where the pseudobiography is reliable.  Shocked  You also have to factor in that Dennis was also estranged from his own band in fall 1983.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:53:57 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 12, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »

Inasmuch as Landy had Brian estranged from everyone, including his family, who wasn't on his payroll at that point in his life, yes, it's true. Oddly, one point where the pseudobiography is reliable.  Shocked  You also have to factor in that Dennis was also estranged from his own band in fall 1983.
Sadly, Dennis was even estranged from himself in Fall '83.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: September 12, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »

Jules Siegel's facebook photos include a shot of him in the GV film.

Slightly off topic but according to the Todd Gold book, the GV single (more specifically the production thereof) was envisioned during BW's 3rd trip (as you'll recall this is the water trip after the fire trip). So then, the genius Todd Gold worked out an imaginative connection between all this weird unexplained phenomena from the mid sixties. Let's face it Todd Gold puts Lewis Shiner to shame as far as this stuff goes. Gold figured out SMiLE & everything!!!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx