gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680952 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 08:44:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Grammy Discussion Thread  (Read 90288 times)
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 12, 2012, 10:26:35 PM »

Just watched that post performance interview video, and laughed out loud at the very end where Mike goes "Nice jacket." Don't know why, but that cracked me up. Also glad Bruce shared the love, letting them know Brian did win a Grammy too.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 12, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »

I was disappointed that when Brian opened his mouth to sing it was Jeff Foskett's voice I heard coming out of the speakers. Sad

I agree. Is his voice really that bad/unreliable these days?

That's hard to believe considering all the praise he got for the BWRG performances and his lead vocals on the Disney album (which I admit I haven't heard in full).
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 12, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »

GV was performed the same way Brian has been performing it for years. Brian acted no different than at any solo shows over the past decade.
Wrong. They didn't play the whole song (Brian & Band usually do). Brian didn't (really) sing the verse(s) (as he usually does). Not like any BW solo show.  Wink
Keep in mind cutting the first verse was probably dictated by the grammys. Despite Mike's usual Megalomania and Brian and Jeff's voices being screwed up in the mix, Tonight went pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:09:15 PM by SMiLE » Logged
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 12, 2012, 10:46:16 PM »

I just realised how much awful music we have to sit through for 5 minutes of The Beach Boys  LOL

Considering how much crap we're willing to sit through for that much of the Beach Boys just makes me think about what a freakin' geek I am to be staying up so long!  Grin

I'm so glad I can come here and know I'm not alone Grin I've even bought movies I had absolutely no interest in just because it had a BB song in it (& I already had the songs on cd).

I totally cried when Seacrest talked about them Embarrassed I must say I'm eating my words on Maroon 5 though, they seemed to give it their best (nowhere up to par, but I guess nobody will ever be). Foster The People, imo, sucked but I did appreciate the fact that they wore the shirts and looked scared to death.

I don't really know what to say about the main event Undecided Was Brian even miked? Maybe what looked bad to me (focusing on Brian when Foskett was obviously singing) totally went over the average viewers head? Was that really Mike singing bass when they showed him? Something seemed off to me there. It sounded great, just looked super awkward. Mike didn't disappoint on the cheese factor, & Brain looked like he couldn't get out of there fast enough. I am just super happy that they are finally getting some of the credit they so incredibly deserve (especially from the mainstream). Now that this is over, here's hoping they come to all our nearest cities on the tour Listening

And did it bother anyone else that the Beatles were a presence with the McCartney stuff on a night with such a (rare) Beach Boy focus? I was totally thinking the Beatles are trying to steal the Beach Boy's thunder yet again Roll Eyes
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2012, 10:50:01 PM »

i think foster was better than maroon 5.  and who didn't love foster wearing blue striped shirts  Grin
Agreed!  I don't have tv at home and watched videos on youtube.  I could hardly sit through the M5 performance.  FTP was really good.  I wasn't familiar with their music beyond Pumped Up Kicks...exploring their music right now on youtube, and they're really good.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 12, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »

I just realised how much awful music we have to sit through for 5 minutes of The Beach Boys  LOL

Considering how much crap we're willing to sit through for that much of the Beach Boys just makes me think about what a freakin' geek I am to be staying up so long!  Grin

I'm so glad I can come here and know I'm not alone Grin I've even bought movies I had absolutely no interest in just because it had a BB song in it (& I already had the songs on cd).

I totally cried when Seacrest talked about them Embarrassed I must say I'm eating my words on Maroon 5 though, they seemed to give it their best (nowhere up to par, but I guess nobody will ever be). Foster The People, imo, sucked but I did appreciate the fact that they wore the shirts and looked scared to death.

I don't really know what to say about the main event Undecided Was Brian even miked? Maybe what looked bad to me (focusing on Brian when Foskett was obviously singing) totally went over the average viewers head? Was that really Mike singing bass when they showed him? Something seemed off to me there. It sounded great, just looked super awkward. Mike didn't disappoint on the cheese factor, & Brain looked like he couldn't get out of there fast enough. I am just super happy that they are finally getting some of the credit they so incredibly deserve (especially from the mainstream). Now that this is over, here's hoping they come to all our nearest cities on the tour Listening

And did it bother anyone else that the Beatles were a presence with the McCartney stuff on a night with such a (rare) Beach Boy focus? I was totally thinking the Beatles are trying to steal the Beach Boy's thunder yet again Roll Eyes

Did you even watch. Or read more educated feed back?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 12, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »

Ironic that they would do a tribute to Whitney Houston and then segue to a performance by Bruno Mars, considering his own history with the powder. Song's not bad, but his voice don't really do it for me.

Man the boss is not the boss anymore lol

I thought Tony Danza was the boss... Wink

edit

okay, so this performance is not as bad as I originally thought. The megaphone is Scott Weiland's schtick, though, and needs to stay that way.

If they tried to have someone in that building perform after the Whitney tribute who HADNT been busted with Coke, they'd be down to the lady running the ticket booth....

I thought Bruno was pretty good.  Sounded good, exciting song, great dancing, really cool stuff.  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 12, 2012, 10:56:36 PM »

My namesake is obnoxious, and is trying way too hard to be Michael Jackson.

Talent-wise he's somewhere below Tito Jackson.

Don't insult Tito Jackson like that... Tito could play guitar.  Chris Brown doesn't deserve to clean Tito Jackson's bathroom. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 12, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »

Kelly Clarkson was a lot more interesting before she went country.

she was great on the show, but "Jason Aldean" gives country a bad name.  one of the absolute worst country singers ever.  ANYBODY else would have been better. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 12, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »

CBS jingle there blatantly channeling good vibrations

I caught that too ^_^

Foo Fighters, so awful

;(

I for one LIKE the Foo Fighters -_-

I've always liked the Foo.  Dave Grohl, and good to see Pat Smear on stage with him!  Hell yeah!  The second performance though at the end was better.  They 'keep it real' better than about any 'big' rock band, Dave Grohl is perpetually 16. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 12, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »

So...where is Coldplay in this performance?

Oh, I think I heard a snare.

That arrogant f*** that leads the band actually had it say "Chris Martin.... coldplay" underneath his name when he came out acting like he could play guitar.  Three horrible musicians in the world, and we got two of 'em so far on this show.  (Chris Brown, Chris Martin, Thank god Bono isn't there)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 12, 2012, 11:08:18 PM »

I totally had that feeling too, but I also had it when Whitney Houston died so I must be disturbed  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 12, 2012, 11:16:22 PM »

The thing that is so bizarre about the Grammy telecast now is that it is barely a celebration of the music of the preceding year any more.

It's not?  I guess those performances by Chris Brown, Bruno Mars, Adelle and Coldplay etc etc were all old.

I mean, imagine on the Academy Awards this year: "Now, we have Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman, to re-enact your favorite scenes from Midnight Cowboy!!!"

What a weird analogy.  I have never seen an Academy Award broadcast where the current nominees actually performed any scene from the film they were nominated for.  Tonight the Beach Boys were reunited on stage for the first time in decades...were they supposed to just stand there and not sing anything?  Paul McCartney performed a new song from his latest album plus a classic cut later.  So what's the issue?  

Slowness and lack of comprehension are my guesses. Everything I said was entirely correct.

...more like over-inflated BS.  But I wouldn't expect you to recognize the difference.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 12, 2012, 11:22:06 PM »

Ugh. f*cking terrible performance.

Oh, it wasn't that bad.  Strange, but then, what isn't?  Not going to win any new fans, but Dave certainly looked cool up there.

I heard Brian OK, but it could have been a better mix.  Grammy engineers probably not used to whoo-whoo machines.  Cannot get used to hearing WIBN in the key of D.

My opinion:  Maroon 5 sounded pretty shitty singing "Surfer Girl".  I saw dude take the monitor out of his ear, maybe he couldn't hear, I don't know.

I think LARGELY the problem is this: Beach Boys songs are very hard to sing live.  Even the 'boys had trouble with their own songs all through the past 50 years, it's very difficult to sing that stuff live, no matter who you are.    So to THESE ears, Maroon 5 were off key almost the entire song.

Foster the People did a more acceptable job, but like said above they sang it three keys low, and the lead singer has no power or strength to his voice.  Al Jardine would have murdered this song, he sings it very well and in my opinion was the best person on stage to sing it.  I liked Foster the People's vibe and the way they handled the song, but it was a bit out of their league.

These people always miss what's so great about the song, in my opinion.  It's not a song meant to be sang 'pretty' or melancholy, or beautifully... it's a song about youthfullness, and it has an electric excitement to it.  It should always have a SHOUT in it, not a smile in it.  If you get what I mean.  Nobody ever sings it as optimistically as Brian did originally, I realize that's a tall order, but they're doomed from the start when they sing that song pretty. 

The 'boys did a great job on "Good Vibrations", certainly as good as can be expected at their age.  It rocked better than the other two songs, but too many cooks spoiled it for me.  Did we really need 25 people on stage to do that song?  There were TWENTY FIVE people on the stage.  Come on!  Brian's Mike wasn't turned off, he was singing very low however... I did hear his voice in the harmonies in a couple spots, it's always unmistakeable.  The lead they showed was Brian (very low), Bruce, and Jeff.  Sounded great, and most people at home probably just thought it was Brian singing. 

I'd be happy to see them do some shows with much less stuff going on, onstage.  Crowd seemed into it, so that's something.  Brian exited stage left as soon as possible, lol.  I DID see him smile though when he was doing his lead, so I think he was happy to be there, just scared to death that he'd do something wrong or stand in the wrong spot, or whatever.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 12, 2012, 11:28:15 PM »

To be fair, there was no way on earth they were going to let Brian take a lead on something like this, and having Jeff sing it was the only real option. They could have not had Brian actually mime the lead though - or just done a different song.

It's completely disrespectful. I don't care if he's up there singing about how much he hates black people or fire fighters or something, the guy WROTE the f*cking song. Let HIM sing it, in Carl's absence. The guy can still sing just fine. Having Jeff sing it is a huge insult not only to Brian, but to the fans.

Mike "can't sing" just as much as Brian these days, why didn't they have Jeff double him, too?

For those saying "I COULD HEAR BRIAN", we're still talking about 90% Jeff and 10% Brian at best, maybe even 95% to 5%. Totally disgusting.

Why don't you fall down off your high horse and realize that maybe BRIAN WANTS IT THAT WAY. 

Notice, for instance, that he didn't sing the song originally.  Sometimes he's content to let others sing.  He's better than you in that regard. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 12, 2012, 11:35:19 PM »

Wish they could have got Glen Campbell on stage just to greet Brian at the end or sing on the chorus, but they showed him excited out in the audience.

To be honest, I don't think Glen is all that proud of his time as a Beach Boy!  I know that sounds crazy, but I've heard him joke about it, many many times and act like he was horrible at singing Brian's parts, etc.  Glen's always been a little bit egotistical... no big deal, I love the guy, but it would be way out of character for him to have anything to do with the Beach Boys or Brian.  He was singing in the audience because he likes the music, I'm sure, but I think he looks at his time in the BB's as a bad gig. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 12, 2012, 11:38:46 PM »

Mike's voice is either really shot or he's got a killer bass vocal these days

His bass voice sounded pretty damn good to these ears.  Unless somebody was doubling him too... whoever was singing bass has still got it. 

What amazes me about the little bit of Mike I've heard lately (this performance, and the Do It Again re-record) is that he's doing creative bass things, which we always give him credit for, but he apparently realizes how cool that is and strives to do it. 

If you listen to the 'do it again' tape, for the entire outro of the song he's doing some wicked bass vocals. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 12, 2012, 11:40:57 PM »

Adele is killing it!

Yes!  I love that song!

She's the real deal.  You can see a cool video on youtube of her singing in a radio studio "chasing pavements" with a guitar player chording it, she sings completely effortlessly.  It looks like it's 6a.m. and she just walked in off the street, she's wearing a big brown coat and doesn't have any makeup on, completely owns the song with nothing backing her.  She sings as effortlessly as she talks. 

Modern day Dusty Springfield. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 12, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »

I'm going to sleep after Glen. Gentle On My Mind done by some nobodies, which is nice. If by nobodies. I

wonder if Glen Campbell nerds think that was terrible like some of us are thinking Maroon 5 or FTP were terrible. Perfectly servicable.

Glen Campbell is broing out here. He's LOVING IT.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of "The Band Perry", but I thought they were nothing short of EXCELLENT doing Gentle on my Mind.  It had that folk/hobo/Roger Milller quality to it like the original had.  Very nice performance. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 12, 2012, 11:50:59 PM »

What did everyone think of Macca's new Valentine song? Nearly put me to sleep!
I think it's a pretty little song; guess I'm just a sloppy romantic.

I thought it was good, too.  Basically, Paul Macca has done it all, if he wants to indulge himself and write a sloppy love song (AGAIN) hell go ahead, Paul. 

The thing about Paul writing and singing a song like that is: That's how he's lived his life.  A "My Valentine" song from Paul is authentic.  He really believes all that sh*t he's singing about, and always has, and always will.  His wife died, and twice now he's tried to be in love again, no matter what the cost, no matter that he's got to know he's a magnet for Gold Diggers. 

The guy's legit.  When he sings a love song, he knows what he's talking about, as foolish and ridiculous as it is. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 12, 2012, 11:52:32 PM »

I'm going to sleep after Glen. Gentle On My Mind done by some nobodies, which is nice. If by nobodies. I

wonder if Glen Campbell nerds think that was terrible like some of us are thinking Maroon 5 or FTP were terrible. Perfectly servicable.

Glen Campbell is broing out here. He's LOVING IT.

They're not nobodys in the country music scene, they're the equivalent of the successful newcomers (Foster The People - The Band Perry) and established commercially successful acts (Maroon 5 - Blake Shelton). Outside of country music those names are pretty much unknown.

Glen's segment was cool. Smiley

Rhinestone Cowboy, Glen? Really? That's how you want to go out? Not with By the Time I Get To Phoenix or Wichita Lineman? Sure, Rhinestone Cowboy was a big hit, but I totally did not get that.

I thought the same thing!  Why Rhinestone Cowboy?  I love the song but either of the two you mentioned would have been better, and BOTH of the two the other bands sang WERE better!  You'd think they would have pawned that song off on Blake Shelton, and let Glen sing the much better "Southern Nights". 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 12, 2012, 11:54:29 PM »

when the beach boys were performing my gf texted me and said "baby your one of your favorite bands did a good job" woot woot she's becoming a bb fan slowly..:]
foster the child didnt do too well..the main singer had such an annoying voice..but it's reminiscent of jardine's voice in a way. and maroon 5 did a great job Smiley..bruno did a great james brown impersonation
THE BEACH BOYS HAD THE BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE NIGHT!! paul mccartney let me down with his new shitty songs smh (he's still a living legend regardless) and i'm the only guy in the world that thinks adele is over-rated...FML!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: February 12, 2012, 11:55:50 PM »

It's completely disrespectful. I don't care if he's up there singing about how much he hates black people or fire fighters or something, the guy WROTE the f*cking song. Let HIM sing it, in Carl's absence. The guy can still sing just fine. Having Jeff sing it is a huge insult not only to Brian, but to the fans.

So you'd take a huge gamble on Brian blowing it completely at a high profile event in front of millions on live TV, performing really badly and shredding both his confidence and the buzz for the upcoming tour ? Sir, you are a fool.

The event was the important thing, and by and large it went well (although to judge from Germanotta's expression she'd never heard "GV" before in her entire life...). Remember, 99.98% of those viewing didn't know it was Jeff and Bruce covering Brian to a degree.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 12, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »

Best group photo of the day.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-57376326-10391698/beach-boys-ditch-bad-vibrations-and-reunite-for-grammys/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 12, 2012, 11:57:09 PM »

That was really cool. I don't usually like the guitar jam session segments at award shows, but that one was really, really cool. It's the Beatles aura, that's the only way I can explain it. Seeing Bruce and Joe Walsh and Grohl up there smiling like kids jamming with Paul touched a nerve. I think anyone who plays music and loves the Beatles in any way pictured themselves in that scenario at one point or another.

It was great, but I cannot for the life of me 'get' Bruce Springsteen.  I've never been a fan.  He always looks like he smells something nasty on his microphone, and I learned tonight, after all these years, during this jam, that Bruce Springsteen cannot play guitar to save his life.  He's completely impotent now.  Paul Macca played lead 10 times better than Bruce, over and over again, and HE'S NOT EVEN A GUITARIST.  
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx