gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680989 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 11:26:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 211869 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 30, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »

Is Phil actually Gollum?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1176 on: March 30, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »

Holy hell...that's Al in ten years

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 30, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »

With the loop de loop masters...  LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 30, 2013, 12:54:23 PM »

Can't believe AGD would be suspended. So he gets in a bad mood sometimes? WHO CARES??

Who cares? A number of people do. I always laugh when people use the word sometimes when mentioning his abusive behavior and attitude, as if he only has the occasional bad day or week. How about WHO CARES how knowledgeable a person is when they’re a complete dick and treat people like sh*t, while being humorless, petty, and insufferable?

The irony is that he didn't even get suspended for his usual garbage.  
By all I hear from people who have met him and know him, (I've never met him), AGD in a nice guy and not a dick. We enjoy his vast knowledge and clever insights. Just wish he'd ignore posts that set him off or handle via PM. It's unfortunate that some might consider him more of a bully than the renowned music scholar that he really is.

Yep this , and I've known AGD for some 30 years  Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1179 on: March 30, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »

Known him for about ten...that's my bro

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 30, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »

By all I hear from people who have met him and know him, (I've never met him), AGD in a nice guy and not a dick. We enjoy his vast knowledge and clever insights. Just wish he'd ignore posts that set him off or handle via PM. It's unfortunate that some might consider him more of a bully than the renowned music scholar that he really is.

Yeah, AGD is really, *really* not a bully in real life -- a bit curmudgeonly, perhaps, but a good person and good company. Personally, I don't think he comes across as a bully online either, but clearly others disagree.
But we all come across a little differently online than in real life -- I'm told I seem a rather humourless, aggressive, pedantic person online (though I certainly don't try to be), but that I'm much friendlier and more easygoing in person. I suspect most other people have similar differences between their online and in-person personalities.
This is one reason why I tend to argue that we shouldn't be too harsh on Mike or Bruce -- most of us only know them through their public personas (obviously some have spent time with them in real life) -- and that's only going to give a very distorted impression at best.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 30, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »

I'm probably the last person who could be labeled conservative! I usually let the heated arguments continue. That had nothing to do with the suspension... if I was going to crack down on that half the board would be gone!

Personally I suspect that he was banned not for insulting or being rude to just anybody but that anybody happened you. Unfortunately for him that victim happened to be the admin. I'll bet worse has been done/said on this board but not penalised since it did not harm you (or other admins) direcly. Remember that this is the internet where everyone can be a donkey at times and that 'live by the internet, die by internet' applies here as well.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1182 on: March 30, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »

Personally I suspect that he was banned not for insulting or being rude to just anybody but that anybody happened you. Unfortunately for him that victim happened to be the admin. I'll bet worse has been done/said on this board but not penalised since it did not harm you (or other admins) direcly. Remember that this is the internet where everyone can be a donkey at times and that 'live by the internet, die by internet' applies here as well.

Nonsense. Read back through the other thread.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1183 on: March 30, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »

Are you fucking serious? That's not how I operate at all.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:52:14 PM by Capt. Bossypants » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 30, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »

I heard he was banned for launching a cyber attack on Heathrow Airport, knocking out all the runway landing lights so that a fleet of alien craft landed just long enough to allow all pressed copies of MIC to be loaded on board and flown to Jupiter, where he and Phil are listening to each and every disc in the 20,000 8CD sets listening for unlisted bonus tracks?

Why? Because it's what we do!

Why the ban? It delayed a holiday flight on board which one of the mods was seated, bound for a week of Easter sunshine.

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: March 30, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »

I'm probably the last person who could be labeled conservative! I usually let the heated arguments continue. That had nothing to do with the suspension... if I was going to crack down on that half the board would be gone!

Ban him Billy  Wink

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1186 on: March 30, 2013, 03:19:48 PM »

LOL   Nah, no board rules broken.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 30, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »

Yeah, AGD is really, *really* not a bully in real life -- a bit curmudgeonly, perhaps, but a good person and good company. Personally, I don't think he comes across as a bully online either, but clearly others disagree.
But we all come across a little differently online than in real life -- I'm told I seem a rather humourless, aggressive, pedantic person online (though I certainly don't try to be), but that I'm much friendlier and more easygoing in person. I suspect most other people have similar differences between their online and in-person personalities.
This is one reason why I tend to argue that we shouldn't be too harsh on Mike or Bruce -- most of us only know them through their public personas (obviously some have spent time with them in real life) -- and that's only going to give a very distorted impression at best.

Good points in general but re: your first sentence: This kind of thing always amuses me. Of course he’s not a bully in person. That’s the whole thing with online bullies. This is nothing new. That’s how they work, from the comfort and safety of their keyboard. There are no consequences and you don’t actually have to face a person, look them in the eye, and see their reaction when you’re treating them like garbage. This almost makes it worse than those who are at least consistently bad-natured. Plus, i’m sure he’s selective with who he interacts with in real life, so of course his buddies are gonna think he’s a nice guy. You add the fact that he’s got some cachet with prominent people in the scene, and that truly allows him to get away with anything sans consequences.

It’s an ugly, sick side of the fan community and the insiders circle. The guy’s always had a free pass, a license to do and say whatever just because he knows stuff, because he boned up on Beach Boys minutia over the years and got in good with the in crowd. That’s all it is. Fans want to continue getting the facts from him, so his abuse is condoned, it is fostered, he is encouraged. Have you guys not realized that his role on this forum has been reduced to Fact Police, persistently correcting people in the absolute most humorless, unpleasant, petty, and insulting ways possible? But it’s okay because he’s the expert! Some even see his attitude as cute and charming. Oh, haha, it's just AGD being AGD. It's depressing, and some of us are tired of it (i’ve talked to others about this). I don’t care how nice or easygoing someone is in person, i don’t care who you are and how much you know, being a decent human being comes first. The internet is not some free-for-all where you can just consistently act like a little sh*t because o hai it’s the internetz lol. This is the sort of thing parents explain to their young children. You ever hear the expression "a person who is not nice to the waiter is not a nice person"? Anyone else who continually acts the way he has over the years--bullying, threats, mean-spiritedness, petty name calling--would been rightfully banned long ago from almost any forum.

People of his ilk need to stop being excused, and they need to be knocked off their pedestal fast and hard.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 30, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »

Good points in general but re: your first sentence: This kind of thing always amuses me. Of course he’s not a bully in person. That’s the whole thing with online bullies. This is nothing new. That’s how they work, from the comfort and safety of their keyboard. There are no consequences and you don’t actually have to face a person, look them in the eye, and see their reaction when you’re treating them like garbage. This almost makes it worse than those who are at least consistently bad-natured. Plus, i’m sure he’s selective with who he interacts with in real life, so of course his buddies are gonna think he’s a nice guy. You add the fact that he’s got some cachet with prominent people in the scene, and that truly allows him to get away with anything sans consequences.

You misunderstand -- with a lot of these things, tone is all. The same words said in one tone of voice can sound bullying, dismissive or abusive, but in another can sound funny or friendly. Those of us who know AGD in person (and I don't know him *well* in person -- I see him about once every two years at some Beach Boys related event or other) read his posts in one tone of voice (as, apparently, do plenty of other people). Some of those who don't apparently read them with another tone, and they come out sounding different.

I don't read every post on this board, not by a long way, so maybe I've missed something, but I don't think I've ever seen him be significantly more unpleasant than the general level on this board (and he often seems less than many).

I honestly think there is a level of miscommunication going on. I don't believe AGD intends to appear bullying or threatening in the slightest -- and his posts simply don't read that way to me. Just as I don't intend to seem like a humourless pedant.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1189 on: March 30, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »

You misunderstand -- with a lot of these things, tone is all. The same words said in one tone of voice can sound bullying, dismissive or abusive, but in another can sound funny or friendly. Those of us who know AGD in person (and I don't know him *well* in person -- I see him about once every two years at some Beach Boys related event or other) read his posts in one tone of voice (as, apparently,  plenty of other people). Some of those who don't apparently read them with another tone, and they come out sounding different.

That's how I take it as well. It's one of the limitations of online discussion, in that it's just words on the screen. Context is lost. For example, I could be responding to a post made by 'Poster X' and respond with 'you stupid motherfucker'. Someone who doesn't know how I talk could read that in a harsh tone. Someone who does know me (or seen my videos)would already know that's how I talk and I likely meant it in a less-than-serious manner.  I type how I talk, in a kind of an off-the-cuff manner, and sometimes that gets me in trouble, so to speak.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 30, 2013, 05:43:38 PM »

I hope Rider stays and I hope Andrew comes back. We all could stand to think more before we post. Who knows, I might even try it one of these days.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:11:14 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 30, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »

I was kidding, making aa jjoke.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1192 on: March 30, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »

I know!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: March 30, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »

Whenever I read one of AGD's angry posts I always hear it being said in a grouchy Walter Matthau voice in my head.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 30, 2013, 09:27:18 PM »

With the loop de loop masters...  LOL
"Nasty, tricksy, Wilsonses."

A discipline daddy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1195 on: March 30, 2013, 09:30:51 PM »

LOL

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 30, 2013, 10:14:54 PM »

I always picture AGD as Clint Eastwood in Grand Torino, expect AGD's prized possession is his Beach Boys collection not a Grand Torino

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1197 on: March 31, 2013, 01:30:08 AM »

You misunderstand -- with a lot of these things, tone is all. The same words said in one tone of voice can sound bullying, dismissive or abusive, but in another can sound funny or friendly. Those of us who know AGD in person (and I don't know him *well* in person -- I see him about once every two years at some Beach Boys related event or other) read his posts in one tone of voice (as, apparently, do plenty of other people). Some of those who don't apparently read them with another tone, and they come out sounding different.

I don't read every post on this board, not by a long way, so maybe I've missed something, but I don't think I've ever seen him be significantly more unpleasant than the general level on this board (and he often seems less than many).

I honestly think there is a level of miscommunication going on. I don't believe AGD intends to appear bullying or threatening in the slightest -- and his posts simply don't read that way to me. Just as I don't intend to seem like a humourless pedant.

I can understand all of that but it can't be denied that some of AGD's posting has been bizarre...

The, 'This isn't fun anymore' thread for example. Now to start a thread with that as the title was clearly a cry for attention. If anybody else were sick of the board they would take a break for a while.

Plus, AGD admitted a while ago that he had been jumping on people's posts for no reason and that he wasn't proud of himself. He acknowledged that this was because he has personal problems right now. He continued to post in the same way however and stated, 'I have no intention of being nice' which sounded remarkably childish.

How about the thread where he called someone an 'idiot', 'dumbass' and 'shitweasel'. Not really anyway those can be put down to misunderstanding the tone.

And then there is his latest dispute with ORR which saw him banned. He comes across as a madman.  Cheesy

Now I could understand if tone was a problem in some posts but not when it happens again and again even after posters (and the admin on some occasions) have pulled him up on it.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: March 31, 2013, 03:14:04 AM »

Plus, AGD admitted a while ago that he had been jumping on people's posts for no reason and that he wasn't proud of himself. He acknowledged that this was because he has personal problems right now. He continued to post in the same way however and stated, 'I have no intention of being nice' which sounded remarkably childish.

I took that last bit as tongue in cheek. And no-one's claiming AGD's a saint here -- yes, he's sometimes rude, or grumpy or whatever. Most of us are, and when we're going through stressful times we're sometimes snappy at people who don't deserve it.

How about the thread where he called someone an 'idiot', 'dumbass' and 'shitweasel'. Not really anyway those can be put down to misunderstanding the tone.

And then there is his latest dispute with ORR which saw him banned. He comes across as a madman.  Cheesy

I didn't see the first of those and the latter was edited into incomprehensibility before I read it properly. But see Billy's post about calling people 'stupid motherfucker'.

Now I could understand if tone was a problem in some posts but not when it happens again and again even after posters (and the admin on some occasions) have pulled him up on it.

I think the tone problem is *at least* as much in the heads of those doing the reading as it is in the posts themselves. I don't think AGD steps out of line any more than most, and a lot less than some (including at least one moderator) -- which is not to say that his posts are *never* out of line, of course. Most of the posts where people complain about his tone seem perfectly innocuous to me.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1199 on: March 31, 2013, 03:17:15 AM »

Well, make up a rule then! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx