gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680956 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 12:25:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's "The Grammy" - who won the Grammy?  (Read 4295 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »

Is the song about Bruce?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 12:13:49 AM »

I always heard it was about Billy Joel.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 05:26:26 AM »

On the Live from the Bottomline boot, I think Carl presents it as a song written about "someone we all know and we all love".

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 07:36:45 AM »

Between 61 + 81 when did BB win a grammy?..  For music or artwork etc etc..I could be wrong but i dont think so....As far as song goes never cared for it much.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »

Bruce won Song of the Year in 1977 for "I Write the Songs". He was the only Beach Boy with a Grammy until 2005 when Brian won a Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental Performance for "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17:34 AM »

On the Live from the Bottomline boot, I think Carl presents it as a song written about "someone we all know and we all love".

".... somebody quite close to all of you guys (here in NY) .... He´s in Japan (right now), I think" = Billy Joel, touring Japan in April 1981
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:01 AM »

Was Carl friends with Billy Joel?

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 10:43:19 AM »

Couldn't say if they were friends, but Billy has said that when he was the BB opening act, Carl was always very conscientious, making sure he (Billy) was treated right, had everything he needed, etc.  Called Carl a class act.  In the days following Carl's death, Billy was on tour and dedicated "Only the Good Die Young" to Carl.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 11:09:39 AM »

".... somebody quite close to all of you guys (here in NY) .... He´s in Japan (right now), I think" = Billy Joel, touring Japan in April 1981
I stand corrected.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:14:54 PM »

Didn't the Beach Boys win a lifetime "honorary" Grammy or something like that?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 08:35:06 PM »

I looked it up and you're right, in 2001 they won the "Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award". But that doesn't really count.

Jason
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 10:02:37 PM »

They were nominated for Record of the Year in 1988, and even though it was for Kokomo it should have been a situation like what happened in 2001 when Steely Dan won, long after they were relevant. Sort of giving the Grammy to the artist who more needed it than deserved it. Needless to say, both Kokomo and that Steely Dan LP were nowhere near either band's best work.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 06:00:39 AM »

The Beach Boys were nominated for a Grammy in 1966 in the 'Best Contemporary (Rock & Roll) Recording' category for "Good Vibrations", but the song was beat out by "Winchester Cathedral" by The New Vaudeville Band.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 06:12:58 AM »

The Beach Boys were nominated for a Grammy in 1966 in the 'Best Contemporary (Rock & Roll) Recording' category for "Good Vibrations", but the song was beat out by "Winchester Cathedral" by The New Vaudeville Band.

This strikes me as, um, weird creepy daring.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 07:26:11 AM »

What!?  You don't agree that Winchester Cathedral was a production masterpiece?  That's why it's held in such high regard today, often topping Rolling Stone's best songs of all time list.  Makes a simple little pop ditty like Good Vibrations look amateurish Wink.  Oh Boh Dee Oh Doe, indeed.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:30:06 AM by LostArt » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 12:56:49 PM »

They were nominated for Record of the Year in 1988, and even though it was for Kokomo it should have been a situation like what happened in 2001 when Steely Dan won, long after they were relevant. Sort of giving the Grammy to the artist who more needed it than deserved it. Needless to say, both Kokomo and that Steely Dan LP were nowhere near either band's best work.

Kind of like Brian receiving a Grammy for the "instrumental" Roll Eyes "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 04:48:27 PM »

The vocals in that song are clearly used as instruments.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 04:53:05 PM »

The vocals in that song are clearly used as instruments.

So, instead of crediting Brian, Jeff, Darian & Scott for "vocals", they should be credited as......woodwinds! police
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »

Couldn't say if they were friends, but Billy has said that when he was the BB opening act, Carl was always very conscientious, making sure he (Billy) was treated right, had everything he needed, etc.  Called Carl a class act.  In the days following Carl's death, Billy was on tour and dedicated "Only the Good Die Young" to Carl.

Here's a live version from '98, unfortunately without dedication. No date posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbPEwKZTT1M

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wilsonista
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 05:47:53 PM »

Kokomo lost out to Don't Worry Be Happy.  That's almost as bad as Winchester Cathedral bating out Good Vibrations. 

BTW, I think it wasn't until years later that they started giving the "sympathy" Grammys to the old farts. I remember seeing Clapton getting all  those Grammys for Unplugged and thinking "huh?Huh"
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 06:09:21 PM »

Earlier in the thread, Billy Joel was mentioned.  Jerry Schilling, one of the Memphis Mafia, served as Billy Joel's tour manager in 1975 & 1976 during periods when he wasn't on the road with Elvis.  As a lot of you know, by 1977 Carl asked him to serve as the BB's tour manager.  This was due to Carl seeing Billy & Jerry together when Billy opened for the BB, so it's likely all three were friends. 

Jerry & Carl were especially close.  Myrna Smith, co-writer of The Grammy, was one of the Sweet Inspirations who backed Elvis from 1969--1977, & she was Jerry's wife.

This goes off-topic, I know, but two weeks ago Jerry was interviewed on Sirius Elvis Radio, & he talked about his time with the BB for awhile, including Dennis singing "Young & Beautiful" from Jailhouse Rock at Elvis's gravesite,  Dennis's love for the Special Olympics, Brian meeting Elvis in the studio in 1975, & other interesting stories.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:18:58 PM by jeremylr » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »

To pull this topic even further into off topic territory, I would LOVE to hear a Dennis Wilson version of Young and Beautiful.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »

Billy's dedication to Carl would have been either on February 6 at the Corestates Center in Philadelphia or February 9 at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island New York. I'm searching through some of my libbray to see if I can find either of these.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 01:23:05 AM »

Same here, Jay.  I wonder if Dennis ever sang Young & Beautiful in the studio or in concert.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 10:23:09 AM »

Quote from: joe_blow
Billy's dedication to Carl would have been either on February 6 at the Corestates Center in Philadelphia or February 9 at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island New York.

News of Carl's passing didn't become public until Feb. 7, so I suspect it's the 9th show.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx