gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
682039 Posts in 27673 Topics by 4096 Members - Latest Member: MrSunshine September 21, 2024, 01:06:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Carl Conversation 1974  (Read 22342 times)
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »

Found this a little while ago

http://davidcalves.com/tag/carl-wilson/

Here's the interesting part :

I was surprised and disappointed that Brian Wilson wasn’t with them. A second drummer had joined them on the road, Rickie Fataar. They did a great job though. They played both their new and old songs. I had never been to a concert as great as that concert.

Later, backstage, I met one of the sound guys and he invited us to the Beach Boys party at the Springfield-Holyoke Holiday Inn, Holyoke, MA. What a break!  Now I get to meet, talk with, drink with my long time heroes.

We got to the Inn and entered the convention room where the party was already in progress. None of the guys had arrived yet. Mainly groupies, sound guys, and a few associates were already there with wine, drinks, and snacks. Everything flowed freely and generously there. I don’t remember paying for anything. Most likely the record company picked up the tab.

When the guys got there, Carl Wilson entered. He wore an open flannel shirt and jeans. He sat at a table behind me. I couldn’t believe it. These guys practically lived in my room–“In My Room.” That song spoke for me. It was as though they knew me or something. The guys who knew me and helped me through many of my problems with girls and at school. The guys who went to the beach with me every summer, who knew the salt and sea air, who knew the smell of French fries and hot dogs were right here with me now. What could I say to them that wouldn’t sound stupid. Hey, I really identified with the stuff in ‘All Summer Long?’

I turned to Carl. “Great concert tonight. The sound was excellent!” We struck up a conversation. We talked together about the road and other hazards. He seemed a little tired, perhaps road-weary, but other than that pretty opened and interested talking. Then it happened. I don’t think he knew what he was about to unleash in my life.

He asked me the strangest question. I later remembered that Plato had said the unexamined life wasn’t worth living. My life was pretty much unexamined up until this night with Carl Wilson. But it was this question and his response to my answer would several months later be used of God to bring me to Himself.

“What’s your dream? What plans do you have for your life?” asked Carl.

I couldn’t believe my ears. What an out of place question in the middle of a party, of all places. I wasn’t in the “profound” mood either. Besides, I didn’t much ask myself such questions. They usually got me depressed.

On top of that . . . I had no clue. “I want to be like you guys,” I heard myself say. “I sing in a band and we hope to get on the road and cut an album.” You would have thought I had told him that Audrey wore combat boots. He laid into me.

“Are you crazy?” He shook his head in disbelief, turned to more fully face me, then riveted his eyes on mine. “Maybe you want to be like him,” he said as he pointed at a dilapidated Dennis Wilson, crumpled on the floor with his back up against the wall, his head tilted to the side, eyes rolled back. He was totally out of it with one attractive girl on each side of him pawing him in his oblivion. One of the girls shoving her shoulder up under his head to later claim that a Beach Boy had slept the night on that shoulder.

Just then, Mike Love shoved the double doors open and burst in. He wore  green satin pants and a matching shirt with a yellow star on it. He had a striking blonde girl on one arm and a to-die-for red-head on the other. He announced in a tone full of himself, “I’m here.” He scanned the scene for response.

Carl could see that I was in shock. He said, “Or maybe you want to be like that asshole.” He pointed to Mike.

I said lamely, “Nah . . . I just want to make it like you guys. And have all the friends and people that love you.”

He shook his head and squinted, and fired at me, “You’re an asshole!”

You think these people are our friends? Man . . . I could go to bed with any one of these chicks tonight but never know whether she did it because I was a Beach Boy or because I’m Carl Wilson. I don’t ever know whether I’m valued as Carl or as a Beach Boy. That’s what you want?”

Then he turned away from me and got up.

I don’t know where he went because I had turned back to the people at my table who were all watching me. Fortunately, I was too drunk and high to know how to respond. I sat stunned.

His cousin, Al Jardine, who had apparently overheard the conversation came and sat next to me. He broke my stupor. He said something like, Hey man . . . don’t worry about him. He doesn’t really mean it. He’s just really bummed out about being on the road. He won’t get to be with his family this Christmas and he’s worried about Dennis and his brother Brian. He’s home in bed.

I didn’t understand what was going on in their lives at that point in their history. Frankly, I was one of those people who saw them as The Beach Boys, not as Carl, Dennis, Al, Brian, Mike, but as a phenomenon and as the group that expressed what I felt in music. If any one of them felt used, rejected frightened, I don’t think I ever gave that a thought. Later I would find out, through documentaries, that Brian had had a breakdown and was literally in bed, clinically depressed perhaps. That they had a falling out with their father who had been their producer early on. And that Dennis was keeping company with Charles Manson and family.

All of the guys wondered about their futures, cared about what was happening to their family and each other and were trying the best to cope with all the “stuff” of their public and private lives, while people like me made them money but didn’t have the humanity to see them as brothers, fathers, husbands, or guys who–like the rest of us–needed love and real people in their lives.

“Yeah . . . OK, thanks,” I said, but didn’t mean it because Carl’s words had cut deeply into my fantasy of who The Beach Boys were. My idols had, in one stroke, in three minutes of conversation incinerated and blown away.

Al spoke again, “Hey . . . sorry. We really do appreciate you and thanks for buying our records and diggin’ our music.” I looked at him. His smile was warm. He placed his hand on my shoulder. “Have another beer. Enjoy yourself.” Honestly, up until that evening, Al was the one I liked least of all the guys. I thought his talent fell short of Brian, Carl, and Mike. He was just kind of . . . there. Then I realized he was one of the nicest of the guys. I felt like he considered it a privilege to be in the band and never fell into believing his own press.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »

Very interesting story in which I think you find similarities with dozens of groups 'on the road'. Not easy reading but very factual for the period I imagine.
ASinisterSmile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »

Yeah, it's not what you really wanna hear from one of your idols. If I was in his shoes, my soul would've been completely crushed.

Good on Al, though. What a nice dude!  Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:15 PM »

Fascinating - many thanks for posting.

“We live in divisive times.”
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:42 PM »

Interesting, though it doesn't sound like Carl and it doesn't sound like Al.  To me, anyway.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 04:27:27 PM »

In addition, Al Jardine was not a cousin, Ricki's name is spelled wrong and Dennis was, as they say, in the peak of health in those days, a bundle of energy.  Reads like a routine encounter fictionalized a tad bit for teaching purposes.  Doesn't sound like Mike offstage, either.  Dennis was back drumming by that point and happy about it, from all accounts... and they were on a serious career upswing.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »

None of it jives. It doesn't sound like Carl or Al at all.

Reminds me of watching Billy Hinsche's DVD "On The Road With The Beach Boys", recorded the same year as this. They recorded at Caribou Ranch in Colorado that year and Brian recorded a song that was released. Endless Summer was out and they were on TV with Chicago and everybody seemed happy. My Uncle was a cop at the time and he was working overtime one Friday night in Sacramento. His job was to guard the stage door entrance to the venue The Beach Boys were playing. He told me the band came in (and out) through the door with their wives and kids and were real cordial and polite and all of them smiled and said Hello and some shook hands with him. He was really impressed with the band members and of course the concert that night.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »

In addition, Al Jardine was not a cousin, Ricki's name is spelled wrong and Dennis was, as they say, in the peak of health in those days, a bundle of energy.  Reads like a routine encounter fictionalized a tad bit for teaching purposes.  Doesn't sound like Mike offstage, either.  Dennis was back drumming by that point and happy about it, from all accounts... and they were on a serious career upswing.

Agreed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 04:49:06 PM »

Good points, the guy who wrote this either made up a story for his book or it was just an off day for the group.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 04:51:57 PM »

I'm sorry the guy never got a chance to talk to Carl again. I think he would have been pleasantly surprised.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 05:11:30 PM »

Yeah, Carl's dialogue as rendered is highly unconvincing."What's your dream?" Come on, that 's not a conversation that happens.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »

If this event really happened, then I must say I've gained more respect for Al - and lost some for Carl.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »

If this event really happened, then I must say I've gained more respect for Al - and lost some for Carl.
I've neither gained or lost anything over one encounter, if it really happened at all. Color me dubious.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 06:15:15 PM »

I'm having difficulty with the idea of Carl wearing an open shirt, even in the '70s.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 06:17:31 PM »

What. After the concert at a hotel party?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »

I'm having difficulty with the idea of Carl wearing an open shirt, even in the '70s.
Despite his immaculate physique even Carl Wilson gets sweaty once in awhile.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 06:34:16 PM »

Oh yeah, no doubt. I think a majority of us have, whether reading them or actually first hand.

Taken this to from the "Hi Brian' thread if thats ok. No need to bog that down.

To his credit, he admits he was drunk and high. Some details, maybe even the year, may be wrong but there are aspects that are on the money.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 06:41:44 PM »

I'm dubious as well.  Definitely doesn't sound like Carl, nor Al.

Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »

I never met Carl, but I've spoken with a lot of folks who have, and this does not sound like Carl at all. From all descriptions I've heard he was kind, thoughtful, had a goofy sense of humor, and always treated people graciously and respectfully. I can't imagine that he would have ever told a fan he just met "you're an asshole!" No way.

Sounds like a work of fiction to me.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »

This lost me at "I'm here".

Not even Mike.

And it'll take more than one fan's drunk stoned recollection of decades ago to convince me that Carl would be that rude to a fan.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:27:16 PM by elnombre » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 07:29:18 PM »

What *does* sound like Carl or Al? Not being a smartass, genuinely curious.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 07:34:24 PM »

What *does* sound like Carl or Al? Not being a smartass, genuinely curious.
I think Gregg explained Carl's demeanor quite well. At least it is what I have read and heard over the past 40 plus years. Emdeeh knew Carl. She is a great place to start.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »

From all descriptions I've heard he was kind, thoughtful, had a goofy sense of humor, and always treated people graciously and respectfully.

Gregg's description above pretty much nailed Carl. However, I was not acquainted with him in the '70s, so I can't speak for that era. Ed Roach is the man to ask.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 08:26:58 PM »

May be nuts but any chance he has mixed up his Wilsons?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »

May be nuts but any chance he has mixed up his Wilsons?

The description of Dennis nodding out with his head to one side instantly put me in mind of that Aussie breakfast TV appearance that's on YouTube.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx