gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 01:58:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goin' To The Beach  (Read 27742 times)
MBE
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »

Thanks to a few nice folks I was able to hear this now. I like it OK but I think Brian should have sung the co-lead like he did when they were writing it on the film. Better than Sunshine, WGGT, Endless Harmony, Oh Darlin, and School Days. That said it isn't great. "I Don't Want To Know" and "Too Cruel" are much better Mike songs of the period, but non Beach Boys.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »

Pretty much rips off two songs, Heartache Tonight and Runaround Sue.

Ah, that hook sounded familiar but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Good work, Brains  Cool

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »

Ah, that hook sounded familiar but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Good work, Brains  Cool

Wish I could take credit but another poster on a M/B thread pointed it out first.

Interesting Mike came up with the song the same year the Eagles had a hit with Heartache. Another case of "My Sweet Lord" oopsy..

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »

You guys keep forgetting that "Heartache Tonight" (aka "Hooortay Tuh-nyght") is a horrible song by a horrible band.
Thusly, GTTB is crap?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »

Fantastic!  Wish I could hear it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ezurnMDfIo

Man, this song is stuck in my head..  Catchy as hell.  If this came out in 1963, so many here wouldn't have such a problem with it.
Narf.

Catchy tune. Better than some of the other songs on KTTA
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2013, 05:20:09 PM »

Ah, that hook sounded familiar but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Good work, Brains  Cool

Wish I could take credit but another poster on a M/B thread pointed it out first.

Interesting Mike came up with the song the same year the Eagles had a hit with Heartache. Another case of "My Sweet Lord" oopsy..

I stand to be corrected because I haven't seen the credits for "Goin' To The Beach", but I thought Brian wrote most of the music/arrangements and Mike wrote the lyrics? Isn't that how they collaborated on Keepin' The Summer Alive?
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »

It is catchy and it's got decent production and it's the Beach Boys. But Mike's lyrics contain no word play in them at all as usual. Imagine if Mike wrote The Hollies song Bus Stop. See I think this is where the difference is.. Lyrics can be simple but the still need to be mildly stimulating..

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2013, 05:54:23 PM »

"Goin' To The Beach" is thought to be a Mike song with a bit of assistance from Brian.

You guys keep forgetting that "Heartache Tonight" (aka "Hooortay Tuh-nyght") is a horrible song by a horrible band.
Thusly, GTTB is crap?

It's better than "Hawtay Tuh-nyght".

I haven't heard that song in years, thank God, but are they really that similar? I'm sincerely asking. Or is it another case of "One person on a messageboard said it and then everyone else started saying it even though it's barely true/not true at all"?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:00:48 PM by CRIED SO HARD, TEEARDROPS ON MY BED. LET'S GO MOTHER FUCKER » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »

"Goin' To The Beach" is thought to be a Mike song with a bit of assistance from Brian.

Thusly, GTTB is crap?
Somebody's gunna hurt someone..... LOL LOL LOL

It's better than "Hawtay Tuh-nyght".

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2013, 06:29:27 PM »

I stand to be corrected because I haven't seen the credits for "Goin' To The Beach", but I thought Brian wrote most of the music/arrangements and Mike wrote the lyrics? Isn't that how they collaborated on Keepin' The Summer Alive?

Well, I think we can safely say Mike made the melody for the main part that sounds like "Heartbreak Tonight". He says something like "I'm walking from the beach one day and I though, 'goin' to the beach, goin' to the beach, God, it's so direct ya know?"

So yeah, we can blame Mike for that I'm pretty sure.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:05:36 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »

The only way to objectively rate new music by a band you love without fantarding is to take a step back and say, "If this were a song from a band I'd never listened to before, would I like it?"

And when asking that question, your answer for "Goin' To The Beach" would surely be "no, it's a complete piece of sh*t"
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2013, 07:00:05 PM »

Well, I think we can safely say Mike made the melody for the main part that sounds like "Heartache Tonight". He says something like "I'm walking from the beach one day and I though, 'goin' to the beach, goin' to the beach, God, it's so direct ya know?"

So yeah, we can blame Mike for that I'm pretty sure.

Another great hook from Dr. Love!

"Round round, get around, I get around..."

"Good night my baby, sleep tight my baby..."

"I'm pickin' up good vibrations..."

"Aruba, Jamaica, ooo I wanna take ya, Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama..."

"Goin' to the beach, goin' to the beach with my baby..."

What if they release "Goin' To The Beach" as a single - and it's a hit. And Mike wrote it! Not Brian. Shocked

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »

What if they release "Goin' To The Beach" as a single - and it's a hit. And Mike wrote it! Not Brian. Shocked

Then David Leaf will finally take human form and be a real boy again, averting the apocalypse. We're sure to sell a million units in January.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:54:14 PM by zatch » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2013, 08:23:22 PM »

Personally I do think the hook is actually quite good. I know I said it before but I think sometime in the late 70s/early 80s the group should've released an album of somewhat dumb but catchy repetitive singalong tunes such as this one, "Mike Come Back to L.A.", "Calendar Girl", and so on. Of course they would've needed the Moog in order to fully realize that vision. It would have become a huge cult favorite I'm sure.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »

The only way to objectively rate new music by a band you love without fantarding is to take a step back and say, "If this were a song from a band I'd never listened to before, would I like it?"

And when asking that question, your answer for "Goin' To The Beach" would surely be "no, it's a complete piece of sh*t"

Thanks for enlightening us on how to listen to music and then making assumptions.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:48:38 PM by CRIED SO HARD, TEEARDROPS ON MY BED. LET'S GO MOTHER FUCKER » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2013, 09:02:03 PM »

This statement doesn't hold up for me because ... while it's nowhere near their best work, this track contains a bit of that Beach Boys magic (just a little of course) ... which is presumably why some of us like the group I would think.

And do we know for sure it's a 100% Mike song? Sounds like some BW changes in there ... I could be wrong, but I kind of assumed it's like 'Let the Wind Blow' or something based on the video. Brian was clearly involved with the arrangement, and I assumed some of those chord changes in there (the way the bassline moves up during the 'staying out partying all night long' bit seems like a typical BW move).

The tune itself actually reminds me of 'Surfin'.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:05:41 PM by DonnyL » Logged

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2013, 09:13:22 PM »

Goin To The Beach is a good hook. But that's the whole song. It was never developed beyond the melody.
Nicko1234
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »

Thanks to a few nice folks I was able to hear this now. I like it OK but I think Brian should have sung the co-lead like he did when they were writing it on the film. Better than Sunshine, WGGT, Endless Harmony, Oh Darlin, and School Days. That said it isn't great. "I Don't Want To Know" and "Too Cruel" are much better Mike songs of the period, but non Beach Boys.

Can`t disagree with this at all. The song could also do with a stronger production but the same could be said for all of KTSA.

I would also place this song above Da Doo Ron Ron (or at least the version I`ve heard).

Starbaby and How`s About a Little Bit were apparently attempted during these sessions so would be interesting to hear how they turned out.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2013, 09:30:14 PM »

Just listened to Heartache Tonight and the GTTB verses seem, to me, to be a straight lift from the middle HT chorus. The Glen Frey part 1:41 of the song. It's no wonder people are finding it catchy...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=db542C4id5A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Ddb542C4id5A

The change at GTTB at 36 secs sounds like a slowed down Ruanaround Sue lift. Think Mike did a "He's so Fine" Harisong.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:40:41 PM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »

3 note melody over a swing beat = BIGTIME PIGTIME ripoff. Time to call up some of your disgusting lawyer friends, Don Henley.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:07:59 PM by CRIED SO HARD, TEEARDROPS ON MY BED. LET'S GO MOTHER FUCKER » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2013, 10:47:22 PM »

3 note melody over a swing beat = BIGTIME PIGTIME ripoff. Time to call up some of your disgusting lawyer friends, Don Henley.
Ha, Henley is too busy getting sued by Don Felder.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2013, 12:18:10 AM »

"That son of a bitch stole my name. The fanbase is so confused. Something needs to be done about this."

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2013, 12:48:51 AM »

Just listened to Heartache Tonight and the GTTB verses seem, to me, to be a straight lift from the middle HT chorus. The Glen Frey part 1:41 of the song. It's no wonder people are finding it catchy...

The change at GTTB at 36 secs sounds like a slowed down Ruanaround Sue lift. Think Mike did a "He's so Fine" Harisong.

Though GTTB is not a very good song and there is a similarity to this Eagles song, I still prefer GTTB over this Heartache thing. Mike's lead is IMHO better than most of his leads in that era. The verses of GTTB aren't good, the saxophone is annoying and the guitars not prominent enough in the mix. The refrain is catchy, I was singing it to myself a lot yesterday Smiley.

I like GTTB better than Kokomo, but it would have been a mediocre effort on MIU or KTSA.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2013, 02:33:40 AM »

Though GTTB is not a very good song and there is a similarity to this Eagles song, I still prefer GTTB over this Heartache thing. Mike's lead is IMHO better than most of his leads in that era. The verses of GTTB aren't good, the saxophone is annoying and the guitars not prominent enough in the mix. The refrain is catchy, I was singing it to myself a lot yesterday Smiley.

I like GTTB better than Kokomo, but it would have been a mediocre effort on MIU or KTSA.
I actually like Kokomo.  Mike's lyrics are clever and Carl nails it.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx