gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 03:38:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calling all Gershwin fans!  (Read 1065 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:15:29 PM »

I would like to get some Gershwin music in my collection, but I quickly realised through an e-bay search that there are thousands and thousands of people who have recorded Gershwin stuff. Could anybody give me a few suggestions of what to start out with? Keep in mind that I know next to nothing about Gershwin. I only really know some of his more "famous" works, like Rhapsody In Blue, Summertime, etc. All I know is that I would like to get more examples of something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U40xBSz6Dc

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:23:58 AM »

This collection http://www.amazon.co.uk/George-Gershwin-Collection-Various-Artists/dp/B000I2KPHS has a lot of, well, not quite contemporary, but 'almost' versions of the classics. And has the 8 minute version of Rhapsody with George at the piano.

This other collection http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-George-Gershwin/dp/B00008GEOT/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1313065058&sr=1-1 has some shoddy contemporary readings of songs, but also the best versions of a few of them, like Gene Kelly's 'Love Is Here To Stay'.

Also, picking up a copy of Bernstein's Rhapsody In Blue/American In Paris/Concerto in F (The triple bill Gershwin's orchestral work is usually sold in, although there's more and it's good) will be one of the best things you ever did. Accept no Previn, although he's good. But Bernstein is better. It is, after all, BW's preferred Rhapsody.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:09:13 AM »

It really depends if you are more interested in listening to Gershwin's songs, or in his longer compositions. I would agree that Bernstein's recording of Rhapsody in Blue is a nice place to begin. If you want the original flavor of RiB, Paul Whiteman's recording of it is sassy and true to the premiere. This is because it was arranged by Ferde Grofe for live performance by Whiteman's band. His songs are nicely done by Ella Fitzgerald in her Gershwin Songbook series. There is a beautiful 8 cd set that I gave Brian as a gift at Smile's premiere,  that I can let you know about if you pm me.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  Smiley As I said before, I don't really know much about Gershwin. I just found that YouTube video I linked and really loved. I would like to get recordings that are a fairly faithfull reproduction of the original music as Gershwin wrote it. After I get familiar with the music then I'll probably want to collect stuff along the lines of BWRG.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx