gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680885 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 11:21:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fix any musical/vocal flub on any BB song...  (Read 1176 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2016, 11:01:37 PM »

What would you choose?

I might choose the drum intro to The Little Girl I Once Knew, which has always bugged me that Brian didn't do just one more take to get it better! Also, the second verse's bass being a tad out of sync on I Just Wasn't Made for These Times is a bit annoying (really only audible on the instrumental version).

I am thinking that Brian might choose to have done better vocal syncing on the choruses in California Girls.

I realize that little flaws are sometimes really awesome, and that imperfections can be a great part of the humanity of these songs. Yet some flaws/flubs are just annoying and detracting!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:02:13 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:59:52 PM »

Soulful old man shunshine...   Roll Eyes

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 02:59:59 AM »

No problem with BB flubs at all. The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" is one big flub and it's my all-time favourite pop record. Grin

What I do have a problem with is the "flub" that was "corrected" on "Kiss Me, Baby". You can hear that correction here at 2:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwZQDkA7XU

It's Mike's flubbed double-tracking of that last pre-chorus "Wo baby". It's all part of it, in my opinion----to be left well alone. But no...

The irony is that they've removed the wrong "Wo"!! The "Wo baby" leading into each chorus is syncopated, the ones within the choruses are not. This only adds insult to injury.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 04:22:30 AM »

I'd "clean up" the coda (known as "False Barnyard", I think) in H&V's cantina version. Fantastic bit, but "dirty" recording. The alternate take you hear in the Smile Sessions, with the more prominent plucked strings, is better, imho.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:23:14 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 05:38:18 AM »

I'd fix the lack of lead vocals for "Do You Like Worms", "I'm in Great Shape", "Barnyard", "Cabin-Essence" (circa 1966), "Child is Father of the Man", "Look (I Ran)", "Holidays", "Surf's Up" (circa 1966), "I Love to Say Dada", and "I Wanna Be Around/Workshop"  Wink

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 01:41:43 PM »

No problem with BB flubs at all. The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" is one big flub and it's my all-time favourite pop record. Grin

What I do have a problem with is the "flub" that was "corrected" on "Kiss Me, Baby". You can hear that correction here at 2:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwZQDkA7XU

It's Mike's flubbed double-tracking of that last pre-chorus "Wo baby". It's all part of it, in my opinion----to be left well alone. But no...

The irony is that they've removed the wrong "Wo"!! The "Wo baby" leading into each chorus is syncopated, the ones within the choruses are not. This only adds insult to injury.

I'm totally with you on disliking the tinkering done on "Kiss Me Baby". I think the flub added character to the song, and I always miss it when I listen to the stereo version. Wasn't this song one of the early stereo mixes that had multiple different stereo mixes released? I wonder if any of them still retain the flub. And I wonder whose choice/idea it was to fix it in the first place.

That said, I think tinkering like this can sometimes be ok on a case-by-case basis. For example, the backing vocals are so annoyingly out of sync on Merry Christmas Baby, and it drives me nuts! I wish they could just be nudged into sync, I'd have no problem with a future release that took that liberty - especially if the original version is also digitally available, there's no harm in making a fix like that, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:42:33 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx