gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 07:22:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideas if there is another new Beach Boys album  (Read 6642 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:14:29 AM »

Don't know if this has been proposed, but two ideas which could lead to two great tracks if another Beach Boys album is recorded.

Get Carl and Dennis (sort of ) on it by:

Taking Carl's Heaven solo track and adding BB vocals to it, and maybe BB-style production.
Taking Dennis's masterpiece instrumental Mexico and either adding good newly written lyrics sung by a BB, or just great wordless harmonies.

Any thoughts? Could there be legal complications?

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:17:29 AM »

I was recently listening to "My Love Lives On" and I could hear where BB voices could have been laid on. It would certainly be the easiest and probably the most meaningful song to "top off" with some new vocals.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »

As long as Blondie is in the picture, why not rerecord another version of Carry Me Home, using Dennis' original vocal?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »

Y'know, I hope that if another album is forthcoming (and I don't think it will be…), I hope they still have the chops to pull some new material together instead of resuscitating ancient stuff. The place for celebrating Dennis and Carl's contributions to the band's heritage is surely on an archive collection like the MiC or GV box sets.

Let's have a vibrant, creative sixth decade for our favourite band. Surely a team such as  Brian, Mike, Al, David, Bruce, Blondie and hopefully Ricky, Beach Boys-all, could come up with an album's worth of material?

Brian's already covered Heaven btw… it was okay.

“We live in divisive times.”
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »

I'm siding with John Manning on this one...removing the doubts that anything new will ever happen, and pure hypothetical speculation...I'm also kind of tired of the rehashing, revisiting, re-recording, and all of that which even had the band mining a box of DAT tapes from the 90's for new material instead of just sitting the hell down and writing new material.

If anything should happen, and I seriously doubt it will, I hope it's something new. And if it sucks, it sucks, and goes into the same bin and dark corner of our album collection as all the "new" Stones, Who, McCartney, and Dick Dale albums since the 90's...but at least it won't feel like a warmed-up leftover entree given new garnish and a fresh buttered roll on the side.

Start with fresh ingredients, work with what you have available in the present rather than mining the past.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:01:22 AM »

I'm siding with John Manning on this one...removing the doubts that anything new will ever happen, and pure hypothetical speculation...I'm also kind of tired of the rehashing, revisiting, re-recording, and all of that which even had the band mining a box of DAT tapes from the 90's for new material instead of just sitting the hell down and writing new material.

If anything should happen, and I seriously doubt it will, I hope it's something new. And if it sucks, it sucks, and goes into the same bin and dark corner of our album collection as all the "new" Stones, Who, McCartney, and Dick Dale albums since the 90's...but at least it won't feel like a warmed-up leftover entree given new garnish and a fresh buttered roll on the side.

Start with fresh ingredients, work with what you have available in the present rather than mining the past.

Ta GF02!  On the basis of our mutually agreed plan I've revised my signature slightly…!

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »

It was tremendous....IMO

Joel Goldenburg, those are really good ideas. Like the others mentioned, I'm not sure I'd want those versions on a new Beach Boys' album, but I think you picked two good songs. I think "Heaven" is Carl's best solo song; I've always loved it. Now, we do have the 1981 solo version, the live version from The Tom Snyder Show, the live version from the 25th Anniversary TV Special, and the aforementioned BW solo version. But, a version with Beach Boys' harmonies intrigues me. I don't know what I'd do with it, though. Bonus track for something? Another comp?

I also like "Mexico" very much. It's a little long and repetitive, but that can be taken care of. Yeah, I can hear BB harmonies on that, too. Good thoughts, Joel!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:27:49 AM »

I have a good idea for a title: "Summer's Back". Grin

(ducks)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 12:14:33 PM »

I also like "Mexico" very much. It's a little long and repetitive, but that can be taken care of. Yeah, I can hear BB harmonies on that, too. Good thoughts, Joel!

That song is so awesomely beautiful, it needs more exposure.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 08:44:01 PM »

As long as Blondie is in the picture, why not rerecord another version of Carry Me Home, using Dennis' original vocal?

This!  Rock!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:39:25 PM by Phoenix » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 08:46:11 PM »

I wouldn't mind if there are no Carl or Dennis on their hypothetical new album, as they're dead.

What I do care about is if Blondie and Ricky would be involved. Now THAT would be awesome!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »

I know the thing these days is to say, "leave Carl and Dennis off since they can't contribute anything new" but I do think there is one song with his vocals that the guys should finish, that song being "Baywatch Nights" or "Dancin' the Night Away". Carl just has that one part, but it's really nice, and it's also a rockin' track by Brian. Get Mike to pen some new lyrics for the rest, and then we're good. I really think it's one of the best unreleased pieces left, and it would be a shame not to put it to use.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »

Definitely a vote for new material that adds to the legacy and is forward looking (especially the lyrics, with a ban on the following words, or derivatives - vibration, sensation, celebration, do it again, fun)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:37:23 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 12:48:22 AM »

Well, if a new Brian Wilson album comes out that includes Al, David, Blondie, Matt Jardine, plus Foskett and the full backing band - not as mere guests, but fully integrated and woven throughout - and stands creatively to TWGMTR as Pet Sounds stood to Summer Days - might that qualify as a new Beach Boys album. Are Mike and Bruce really indispensable or has the very idea of the Beach Boys morphed from a self-contained five piece garage band to a full-fledged rock orchestra in which members come and go?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 01:23:25 AM »

Well, if a new Brian Wilson album comes out that includes Al, David, Blondie, Matt Jardine, plus Foskett and the full backing band - not as mere guests, but fully integrated and woven throughout - and stands creatively to TWGMTR as Pet Sounds stood to Summer Days - might that qualify as a new Beach Boys album. Are Mike and Bruce really indispensable or has the very idea of the Beach Boys morphed from a self-contained five piece garage band to a full-fledged rock orchestra in which members come and go?

Good point… the continued existence of the/a band after the deaths of Dennis and Carl suggests that, in the eyes of their band mates – whose opinion counts more than anyone's – no one is indispensable.

The Beach Boys in all but name?

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 01:51:11 AM »

Taking Dennis's masterpiece instrumental Mexico and either adding good newly written lyrics sung by a BB, or just great wordless harmonies.
That's actually a pretty interesting idea.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:51 AM »

Reading some of the replies here... it's a very valid point that the BBs should be looking forward. But if a next album, if there is one, is absolutely, positively, irreversibly the last collection of new material, I feel everyone should be on board, even the departed, as a worthy farewell.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 07:56:22 AM »

Reading some of the replies here... it's a very valid point that the BBs should be looking forward. But if a next album, if there is one, is absolutely, positively, irreversibly the last collection of new material, I feel everyone should be on board, even the departed, as a worthy farewell.

If they do get another album out, then I wouldn't label it as a "farewell"… just a sign that anything can and will happen in BBLand.

And how will anyone know which "next album" will be the last? Who knows what will happen and when?

The guys should be living like there's no tomorrow and pumping albums out while there's still breath in their lungs.

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 08:13:17 AM »

If they do get another album out, then I wouldn't label it as a "farewell"… just a sign that anything can and will happen in BBLand.

And how will anyone know which "next album" will be the last? Who knows what will happen and when?

The guys should be living like there's no tomorrow and pumping albums out while there's still breath in their lungs.

If that would be the case, great!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 09:12:40 AM »

I believe it may have been proposed to the group during the MADE IN CALIFORNIA track list discussions that they take Carl's unreleased solo track "It Could Be Anything" (aka "Where We Are") and add group vocals to make it a Beach Boys song, but the idea was nixed.

Lee
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »

I believe it may have been proposed to the group during the MADE IN CALIFORNIA track list discussions that they take Carl's unreleased solo track "It Could Be Anything" (aka "Where We Are") and add group vocals to make it a Beach Boys song, but the idea was nixed.

Lee

Interesting that this was thrown out there as an idea. Actually, while we are at it is this song from 1978, as it says on Andrew's site or is it from Carl's solo era?
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 09:16:09 PM »

How about making an album of some new songs about Surfin and dedicate it to the Memory of Dennis Wilson.  I have some new song titles for this album like

Soul Surfer (Dennis Wilson the Lone Surfer of the band)
California Surfer
California USA ( Surfin USA Type Song)

I had a fast Life
bluesno1fann
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:58 PM »

How about making an album of some new songs about Surfin and dedicate it to the Memory of Dennis Wilson.  I have some new song titles for this album like

Soul Surfer (Dennis Wilson the Lone Surfer of the band)
California Surfer
California USA ( Surfin USA Type Song)

Could some just ban this troll already?!
I'm sick of him and his posts!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 03:19:35 AM »

In soccer, players who demand a yellow card for a player of the other team, usually get a yellow card for themselves.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 03:36:16 AM »

Honestly, as of now, I don't want to hear another BBs album.. What's left? Who's left, anyway. TWGMTR, whilst far from perfect, in a sense gave us closure with a great melancholic, yet ultimately life-affirming suite tucked to the end. I don't know if they could pull of another half-way decent LP without Dennis & Carl and with the producers / all the people they are surrounded with today. And - at least that's my impression - most of the individual BBs don't want to. I could be wrong, of course. But Solo-Brian is gathering steam with a couple of new album projects, a high-profile biopic and an autobiography, M&B are back to what's comfortable (and profitable) for them (can't blame 'em) and Al & David kind of tag along or do their own stuff. The 50th anniversary certainly was a high point in the band's entire career and perhaps the fitting moment to release one last LP - ending with "Summer's Gone".

I still expect TWGMTR to grow on me to a certain degree in the next couple of years/decades and at the same time anticipate some really cool stuff still to be released in the wake of Brian's seasoned solo career (along with a new BBs archival box now and then). At the same time I hope to see the M&B show in Germany at some point. Other than that, I've been blessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx