gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 04:57:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW AND IMPROVED LYRICS  (Read 8011 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »

You know, I have always wondered why people have such a hard time with the surfing and car songs.

Who's got a hard time with the surfing * and car songs, especially back in the early 60's?  I can't remember ever having met someone who didn't like those songs. That's really what The Beach Boys are known for.

* With exception to Mackenzie Phillips
Mikey, that was Paul LeMat who didn't like that Surfin' sh*t. Mackenzie thought the Beach Boys were boss! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 01:41:19 PM »

Oh yeah.  Well, who gives a sh*t about Paul LeMat?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »

I only wanna change "If Everybody had an ocean" to

If everybody had a Notion. (actually believed that was right for years.  Azn)

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 06:31:51 PM »

You know, I have always wondered why people have such a hard time with the surfing and car songs.

Who's got a hard time with the surfing * and car songs, especially back in the early 60's?  I can't remember ever having met someone who didn't like those songs. That's really what The Beach Boys are known for.

* With exception to Mackenzie Phillips

Well, I don't know anyone that has that problem, either. People I know love the surf and car tunes and think the Beach Boys were/are cool. That's why it puzzles me to read here about all the board members who feel the need to justify the band to their friends by proving that they're more than a surfing band who sing like girls.
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »

Yeah, good question: who is Tab Lloyd (AKA the yogi from Muskogkee)? And WTF am I doing in these here parts? Well, as the Legendary One so well put, I’m def. no one special, although I probably have the distinction of being the only poster living in India! (No, I’m not on a Mike Love pilgrimage either). Be that as it may, I was only a superficial BB fan who got pulled in by the hoopla surrounding the re-emergence of Brian during the PS tour in the early part of this century. I’m a Til I Die kind of guy, deeply moved at times by Brian’s (only later did I connect to the power of the group) music and voice. There’s really nothing that compares. Sorry to bore you with my background. Anyway I stumbled on to this site after seeing  a reference to it on Brian’s site and have been really impressed by the knowledge, passion, and diversity of opinion here. You guys are really funny! A nice antidote to a long meditation! Cheers.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 10:15:33 PM »

Look out babe
"
Ugh...
Yeah, you should be repulsed. That's by design. The guy who says look out babe who thinks he's dealing with a little girl he once knew should gross you out,  it turns out she's not the little girl he once knew, and it was wrong of him to be all confident like that , sayin' what he said. Can you dig it?
I understand what the song is about, I just find the lyrics dull and stupid. When I hear the fifth millionth time "SHE'S NOT THE LITTLE GIRL I ONCE KNEW!", I'd like to shout back: OH, REALLY? I kinda figured that out already. Anyway, I find the composition amazing and it's just so wrong that the bad lyrics destroy the whole song. Well actually not the whole song, the instrumental break is awesome.

Actually it's one of Brian's very finest pre-Pet Sounds works, but each to their own i guess...
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 10:41:44 PM »

Who's Tab Lloyd?

A person of little to no importance...

Like all of us here.

at first i thought that was a cheesy pun on 'tabloid'. now im confused..

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 11:15:41 PM »

Look out babe
"
Ugh...
Yeah, you should be repulsed. That's by design. The guy who says look out babe who thinks he's dealing with a little girl he once knew should gross you out,  it turns out she's not the little girl he once knew, and it was wrong of him to be all confident like that , sayin' what he said. Can you dig it?
I understand what the song is about, I just find the lyrics dull and stupid. When I hear the fifth millionth time "SHE'S NOT THE LITTLE GIRL I ONCE KNEW!", I'd like to shout back: OH, REALLY? I kinda figured that out already. Anyway, I find the composition amazing and it's just so wrong that the bad lyrics destroy the whole song. Well actually not the whole song, the instrumental break is awesome.

Actually it's one of Brian's very finest pre-Pet Sounds works, but each to their own i guess...
I agree with you, the music is, like I said, amazing. But in the other hand the lyrics are bad and way too repetitive and the song suffers from that.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 11:21:34 PM »

Look out babe
"
Ugh...

I agree with you, the music is, like I said, amazing. But in the other hand the lyrics are bad and way too repetitive and the song suffers from that.

You don't really agree with me then because I don't think the lyrics are remotely an issue and I don't think the song is repetitive at all, or at least certainly not in any negative way. In fact, so gorgeous is the way they sing 'She's not the little girl I once knew' that I wish the fade lasted for another 20-30 seconds or so, it's all over so quick. But then Brian almost always knew to leave the listener wanting more... LGIKN is, to my ears, a genius piece of work.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »

Look out babe
"
Ugh...

You don't really agree with me then because I don't think the lyrics are remotely an issue and I don't think the song is repetitive at all, or at least certainly not in any negative way. In fact, so gorgeous is the way they sing 'She's not the little girl I once knew' that I wish the fade lasted for another 20-30 seconds or so, it's all over so quick. But then Brian almost always knew to leave the listener wanting more... LGIKN is, to my ears, a genius piece of work.
I agree with the bolded part you wrote  Wink
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 11:29:19 PM »

Look out babe
"
Ugh...

I agree with the bolded part you wrote  Wink

Bolded?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 11:47:28 PM »

By the way, here's the rendition of DWB by The Tokens with "improved" lyrics from 1970:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50sdk7df27s

Beautiful singing but the new lyrics seem kind of dull and random.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2014, 12:36:55 AM »

Look out babe
"
Ugh...

I agree with the bolded part you wrote  Wink

Bolded?
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/47470/is-bolded-a-word

Sorry if my English isn't always grammatically correct, but it shouldn't be too hard to understand what I meant.

ps. I still agree with you, LGIKN? is one of Brian's pre-pet sounds masterpieces (composition wise) and that everyone has their opinion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:41:48 AM by RiC » Logged
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2014, 03:13:23 AM »

My poster name is indeed cheesy and self inspired.
Who's Tab Lloyd?

A person of little to no importance...

Like all of us here.

at first i thought that was a cheesy pun on 'tabloid'. now im confused..
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »

Yeah, good question: who is Tab Lloyd (AKA the yogi from Muskogkee)? And WTF am I doing in these here parts? Well, as the Legendary One so well put, I’m def. no one special, although I probably have the distinction of being the only poster living in India! (No, I’m not on a Mike Love pilgrimage either). Be that as it may, I was only a superficial BB fan who got pulled in by the hoopla surrounding the re-emergence of Brian during the PS tour in the early part of this century. I’m a Til I Die kind of guy, deeply moved at times by Brian’s (only later did I connect to the power of the group) music and voice. There’s really nothing that compares. Sorry to bore you with my background. Anyway I stumbled on to this site after seeing  a reference to it on Brian’s site and have been really impressed by the knowledge, passion, and diversity of opinion here. You guys are really funny! A nice antidote to a long meditation! Cheers.

Yeah, AGD was right.   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2014, 11:02:46 AM »

For some reason, these days, when I sing along to "When I Grow Up", I change the lyrics to "Will I choke my wife, or leave her alive?"... no, I'm not married. (Not any more.) (kidding.)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 02:38:27 PM »

Look out babe
"
Ugh...

I agree with the bolded part you wrote  Wink

Bolded?
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/47470/is-bolded-a-word

Sorry if my English isn't always grammatically correct, but it shouldn't be too hard to understand what I meant.

ps. I still agree with you, LGIKN? is one of Brian's pre-pet sounds masterpieces (composition wise) and that everyone has their opinion.

Yeah i got that you meant 'in bold', i just hadn't been able to see anything highlighted in bold. Got to say, i have now noticed the bit in bold and i'm still none the wiser... Smiley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2014, 03:07:14 PM »

I'm not a 'Mike basher'...just like Nixon wasn't 'a crook'....but wouldn't it be nice to see new lyrics for some of the great BB songs? I know this idea borders on sacrelige , but I feel that in some cases great songs suffer from lame lyrics. Sure, Mike had his groovy moments (Warmth of the Sun, Calif. Girls, GV, etc.) where he totally nails the spirit of the song, but I say it's time to stir up the copyrights and create some new/old classics. It takes a bit of de-programming to even consider alternatives to something you've heard a gazillion times, but I would like to know if anyone feels the same about any of the songs? My first inspiration for new treatment would be a non-Mike lyric, DWB, an awesome song about true love: between man and car. This is Brian at his best and he pulls it off despite the insipid words...imagine if the lyrics were equally inspired. Any other suggestions?

Been done already, back in the early seventies.

Have any of the Tandyn Almer lyrics been leaked, either in audio or written down?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »

I think their lyrics only got worse over time. The lyrical nadir was their collaborations with Jack Reilly and some of Dennis's putrid ballads like Barbara, but almost all of it sucked. The best lyricist in the band was Brian by far, because his lyrics are at least charming in their innocence and naivete. They aren't forced.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »

Hear that? EVERYTHING after 1967 sucked. "Barbara" is putrid.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »

Hear that? EVERYTHING after 1967 sucked. "Barbara" is putrid.
I feel so ashamed that I thought Brian was a brilliant composer with severe limitations as a lyricist. He shouldn't have used all of those collaborators when he could have been cranking out "charming" gems like Hey Little Tomboy and Love Is A Woman all along.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »

I think their lyrics only got worse over time. The lyrical nadir was their collaborations with Jack Reilly

As much as I am bored by Reilly's lyrics, you can't get worse than "Summer Of Love" and TPLOBAS.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »

I think their lyrics only got worse over time. The lyrical nadir was their collaborations with Jack Reilly and some of Dennis's putrid ballads like Barbara, but almost all of it sucked. The best lyricist in the band was Brian by far, because his lyrics are at least charming in their innocence and naivete. They aren't forced.

Nice try, but we've come to expect a much higher standard of trolling here.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »

There are good songs lyrically after 67 but there were as many clunkers as before. All of the TM, environmental awareness stuff grates. That doesn't mean I don't love that period of the band. Surf's Up is one of my favorite albums.

And yes, Barbara sucks. It's just too mushy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 05:03:19 PM »

Love is mushy.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx