gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680909 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 01:20:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Honey on British Airways  (Read 1316 times)
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:16:13 AM »

I'd just like to share that I travelled British Airways recently and on the 'classic albums' selection on in-flight entertainment, one of the half dozen albums is Wild Honey.  I had it with me on my iPod, but still played it through a couple of time just to create ratings.  The description for it said: 'Released 1967 this feel-good summer album epitomizes the spirit of Californian lifestyle - sun, sea, sand.' 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:27:43 AM »

I'd just like to share that I travelled British Airways recently and on the 'classic albums' selection on in-flight entertainment, one of the half dozen albums is Wild Honey.  I had it with me on my iPod, but still played it through a couple of time just to create ratings.  The description for it said: 'Released 1967 this feel-good summer album epitomizes the spirit of Californian lifestyle - sun, sea, sand.' 

Typical description of a Beach Boys album, likely written by someone who didn't even bother listening to it.
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 03:30:12 AM »

That's what I thought.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »

I recently flew QANTAS domestically in Oz and one of the featured albums was BWPS.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »

"Wild Honey makes you feel those Good Vibrations all over again! Turn back time to when things were more simple and all that was on your mind was the beach and the surf. Wild Honey was a breakthrough instant classic that Mike Love definitely came up with the idea when eating Wild Honey and is definitely what happened because he wrote is with his cousin Brian Wilson. "Brian has always been a musical genius in fact I remember when we would do those 4 part harmonies he would have them all laid out in his head and it was all I could do to hold onto one!".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:30:31 AM »

Brian Wilson and crew specialized in summer concept albums – All Summer Long in 1964, Today and Summer Days in 1965, the decidedly more downbeat Pet Sounds in 1966. But Wild Honey is where the Beach Boys really capture the grimy feel of beer-soaked California sand under your feet, even if they released it in December 1967. It cruises through the yearning Carl Wilson soul of "Aren't You Glad," the beach-party shindig "How She Boogalooed It," the a cappella finale "Mama Says." Wild Honey has it all – the hedonistic rock & roll spirit and humor of their early cars-and-surfboards hits, plus the pensive depth of Pet Sounds, all in one 24-minute blast.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-10-coolest-summer-albums-of-all-time-20120718/the-beach-boys-wild-honey-1967-20120717

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx