gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 10:32:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barnyard Mistake in Pressing of Smile Sessions CD?  (Read 43146 times)
The_Holy_Bee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2011, 12:11:23 AM »

Oh, one more thing - AGD, what's the track missing the vocals? Are you referring to Barnyard? If so, I've probably mentioned that track more than anything else in my posts. If not, I'm sure I'll feel really silly I didn't notice!  Shocked
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:20:20 AM by The_Holy_Bee » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2011, 12:29:25 AM »

Oh, one more thing - AGD, what's the track missing the vocals? Are you referring to Barnyard? If so, I've probably mentioned that track more than anything else in my posts. If not, I'm sure I'll feel really silly I didn't notice!  Shocked

Wasn't pointing my finger at you.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The_Holy_Bee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »

Good to know!  Smiley Even better to know there isn't another track missing vocals! Then this thread could really get interesting!  Grin
Van Dark Pykes
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2011, 12:32:55 AM »

Regarding the fluctuation in hiss:

What do you expect with an edit-record being put together forty-odd years after it was recorded? A consistent hiss level? The options for Mark would have been a. use NR or b. leave it like it is. People would have complained either way. IMO, a slightly fluctuating hiss level is way less annoying than NR.

I don't mean to Dead Horse, or anything
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2011, 12:51:10 AM »

Regarding the fluctuation in hiss:

What do you expect with an edit-record being put together forty-odd years after it was recorded? A consistent hiss level? The options for Mark would have been a. use NR or b. leave it like it is. People would have complained either way. IMO, a slightly fluctuating hiss level is way less annoying than NR.

It's odd bits of hiss straight up popping out (i.e. not gradually) with seemingly no rhyme or reason on "Cabinessence" and "Child" that are really strange. That's all. There were no hiss dropouts on any other mix of "Cabinessence", why is it here?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2011, 01:30:27 AM »

It's odd bits of hiss straight up popping out (i.e. not gradually) with seemingly no rhyme or reason on "Cabinessence" and "Child" that are really strange. That's all. There were no hiss dropouts on any other mix of "Cabinessence", why is it here?

Maybe it's a new edit prepared from different elements to the period version ?

theCOD
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2011, 03:29:26 AM »

Maybe it's a new edit prepared from different elements to the period version ?

The level of hiss before the dropout is the same as the period version, but after that it is a much cleaner mix, which is why I've wondered if this is a watermark. My only problem is with the transition. There's a loud pop and the hiss instantly drops about 10dB, as you can see here:

It's very jarring, on headphones or speakers.

Anyway, I guess I'll shut up and start working on my stereo fold down mix.

Geek
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:31:25 AM by theCOD » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2011, 04:25:08 AM »

'K, just listened to the 2CD disc... and yes, I can hear some of those things that have so utterly dismayed folk...

If I crank the volume up to 11... and because I know what I'm listening for. Is my life blighted, my enjoyment forever soured ?

Nah, 'cause next time, I'll be listening at a sensible level and won't notice it.

If you want to hear about a real problem, the recent Mercury reissue of Incantations had a catastrophic mastering glitch on "Part 3" that was the aural equivalent of stubbing your toe on the bedpost in the dark and about as enjoyable... and that got pressed and made it to the shops. This stuff... small beer.

debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »

I seriously can't hear any of this, not that I've TRIED too but I've listened to the album on headphones a bunch now and not noticed any drop outs or whatever.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2011, 05:57:49 AM »

i already know i won't be able to hear these things
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2011, 06:01:13 AM »

Well, you've come to the wrong place  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2011, 06:43:12 AM »

Out in the barnyard the smiley beats a dead horse... oooooooooooh....

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2011, 06:55:17 AM »

Any serious listening should be done with a pair of good quality studio headphones.

But I don't enjoy listening to music through headphones.  I listen to music through my big, old Marantz speakers.  And I'm not deaf.  I listened closely and I could barely notice some (but not even close to all...I gave up) of the things that you pointed out as flaws.  And that was with the volume at a higher level than I ever listen to music.  I'm not going to tell you how you should listen to music.  You do your thing, but don't try to tell me how to enjoy listening to music.  I'm sorry that you can not enjoy this disc because of all the hiss, snap, crackle, and pop.  Seriously.  I think it's sublime.  This incredible music has never sounded better...to me.  And that's all that matters...to me.

Oh, and for those that are now worried about this release because of the perceived flaws pointed out by some folks here, I say again...listen for yourselves.  I mean listen to the music.  It really is beautiful.  As you can see by some of the responses here, there are people who either don't notice any flaws, or think them to be so minor that they don't care.  Enjoy.....or not.  

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2011, 09:59:40 AM »

You're listening to the signal path, and not the music.

This.

More to the point, you're pulling a Cohen and messing with other's enjoyment of something very special.

Also this.

No one's messing with my enjoyment of anything.  Undecided I'm listening to the music and enjoying it, listening to people nitpick over something you love and that moves you is like asking strangers to critique your girlfriend.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:02:28 AM by elnombre » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2011, 10:32:34 AM »

It just disturbs me that a thread that's supposedly about one mistake in a minute-long song fragment has carried on for four pages.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »

I don't have the set yet.

I've the needledrop of the Mojo single and I couldn't hear anything.
I don't really care that there aren't backing vocals on the instrumental version of Barnyard.
and I've been playing in loud rock bands for a few years and my hearing sucks so I probably won't hear any of the errors.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »

I haven't got the box yet but isn't the mixed version with lead, bvs and animal sounds on CD1?  If so, this isn't a big deal.

I posted this on another thread but the online sample of "I'm in Great Shape" sounds really bad when the vocal kicks in.  Is this the case on the CD or just a result of a bad mp3 conversion?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »

I haven't got the box yet but isn't the mixed version with lead, bvs and animal sounds on CD1?  If so, this isn't a big deal.

I posted this on another thread but the online sample of "I'm in Great Shape" sounds really bad when the vocal kicks in.  Is this the case on the CD or just a result of a bad mp3 conversion?

It doesn't sound amazing as all they had was the radio demo of that and Barnyard to get the vocals from. Not much else they could do sadly.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2011, 06:46:36 PM »

It doesn't sound amazing as all they had was the radio demo of that and Barnyard to get the vocals from. Not much else they could do sadly.

Gotcha.  Thought Barnyard sounded better than my boots so I guess I expected better for "Shape".  Thanks for the info!  Looking fwd to getting my box.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2011, 07:23:19 PM »

Makes the whole "roll your own" thing a bit harder, plus holy f*** - the "Barnyard" vocals in stereo? Yes plz.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2011, 07:45:51 PM »

Speaking of mistakes, the amount of technical/engineering blunders all over disc 1 is staggering. I am planning on writing a lengthy review critique on this aspect of the release because, to me, it is totally inexcusable for a major release of this magnitude to have such sloppy work. It's really disheartening. Although i hate to say it, i totally saw it coming given previous releases.
Please take a breath and get over it sir. Grin
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:50:54 PM by jimmy1949 » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2011, 08:02:14 PM »

Those who are pointing out legit errors on this set should not be criticized. Come on, folks - of course we appreciate the f*** out of this release, but that doesn't mean its exempt from criticisms.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:23 PM »

Has it occurred to anyone that these 'errors' might not be in all copies and that some might be defective? This is a serious question not sarcasm; I got the 2CD set today and so far all I've listened to is SU67, on repeat...like it was Be My Baby and I was mid70s Brian Wilson.

Out in the barnyard the smiley beats a dead horse... oooooooooooh....

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »

Discuss on.  Critique.  This is just too much fun.  Nothing from me to negatively criticize this release.  I think they did a great job in their choice and sequencing for disc 1.  Jaw dropping stuff.  I had heard much of this in various forms but never so well mixed and lovingly assembled.  And I found some surprises.   It is all that I had hoped for.

And a remembrance of Greg .    And a nod to Susan.   (and AGD Wink )   Sorry if I'm rambling in the wrong thread............

This whole package is such a feast and celebration!
theCOD
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »

Has it occurred to anyone that these 'errors' might not be in all copies and that some might be defective?

I was hoping this was the case but I heard them loud and clear on the stream.

I think I'm over it. I found a different mix of "Cabin Essence" released about 40 years ago and it sounds much better.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx