gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680895 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 03:05:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys an american family  (Read 18201 times)
DUMB ANGEL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2006, 01:39:27 PM »

Has anyone out there seen the movie Beach Boys an american family? I liked it pretty well, although there were some inaccuracies.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 01:54:09 PM »

Wrong forum

I saw the second half of it (Smile era - onward) and loved it. Though at times it seemed the actors had only read snippets of their characters, they did a great job. I'd very much like to see it again, whole thing, next time.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:19:01 PM »

Second half, unbelievably awful and completely inaccurate, first half passable.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »

DUMB ANGEL,

you'll find that Ian is our supreme leader here and his word goes without question.

I will now be dunking my head in a bucket of cold water to re-think my opinions of the movie.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 03:23:07 PM »

*sigh*
You just liked the second half because it had your spiritual avatar Chuck in it.

carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 04:50:59 PM »

I love this movie.  But....Van Dyke was a blonde? Nick Stabile played Dennis and he was excellent!  So was the actors/actresses who played Murry, Audree, Brian and Mike. I had kinda strayed away from the BB for a few years, and that movie brought me right back to the good side!
Carly
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 05:00:07 PM »

I think Van Dyke being blonde was a much less inflammatory slander than him being portrayed as Brian's drug connection.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 05:05:39 PM »

Anyone have this on DVD? I doubt ABC will ever release it Sad

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 05:10:59 PM »

If it was, there'd be more lawsuits.

carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 07:35:41 PM »

I saw a vhs set of this movie for sale on Ebay a few months ago, but haven't seen it on DVD, it was some special vhs set that the stations got or something to that effect.  It doesn't play too often, but probably when you see it on TV, tape it so you'll have it.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 07:49:12 PM »

Wasn't "Tommy Schaeffer" his drug connection?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 08:04:50 PM »

Heh heh.

Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 08:13:17 PM »

I gotta agree with Ian. 

(And I worked on the darned thing!)

Alan
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 08:16:11 PM »

Your Van Dyke words were amazing, though, man. Hilarious perfection.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 05:52:02 AM »

I saw the first half (up to Pet Sounds) and it made me want to get the Pet Sounds Sessions box thanks to the part where they're cutting the track to Wouldn't It Be Nice (Josh later convinced me to get it and I'm glad I did!). I missed the SMiLE part and I was annoyed because I was so interested in SMiLE but I still hadn't really learned much about it. I guess it's a good thing I did miss it, though. I must say that I was liking it and I would definitely like to see it again.

Watch out for snakes!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 06:26:55 AM »

How much, if any, BB involvement was there on this film?  I notice that Alan Boyd (director of Endless Harmony) is listed as a co-producer and John Stamos as an executive producer.  It's interesting because it's certainly doesn't present a very flattering portrait of Brian Wilson.  From the start he's shown as an ineffectual, if gifted, nerd.  During the making of PS and Smile he's shown as drug-addled and virtually insane.  Mike Love meanwhile is shown as the good guy keeping everything together.  But funnily enough, for those who believe Mike loved PS and Smile all along, this is not the line pursued here.  Mike is actually shown dissing PS as 'Brian's ego music' and Smile is virtually written off as the crazed doodlings of a babbling imbecile.  Doesn't seem to be the ML line nowadays.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 06:49:34 AM »

I wanted to throw something at the TV during the portion where Brian (with a beard and housecoat) has lost it during the making of Good Vibrations and is flailing helplessly, and Mike swoops in and saves the day with his lyrics. 
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 06:57:18 AM »

I watched it when it aired, but gagged most of the way through.
Best feature- Kevin Dunn & his creepy job with Murry. Gave me the boo-boo geebies...
...1 step, 2 step, talk about a new step...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 07:01:05 AM »

How much, if any, BB involvement was there on this film?  I notice that Alan Boyd (director of Endless Harmony) is listed as a co-producer and John Stamos as an executive producer.  It's interesting because it's certainly doesn't present a very flattering portrait of Brian Wilson.  From the start he's shown as an ineffectual, if gifted, nerd.  During the making of PS and Smile he's shown as drug-addled and virtually insane.  Mike Love meanwhile is shown as the good guy keeping everything together.  But funnily enough, for those who believe Mike loved PS and Smile all along, this is not the line pursued here.  Mike is actually shown dissing PS as 'Brian's ego music' and Smile is virtually written off as the crazed doodlings of a babbling imbecile.  Doesn't seem to be the ML line nowadays.

Mike's involvement is clearly to be seen.... Sad  Roll Eyes
Brian did some singing to the piano when his character did sing "In my room" and "I get around"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 07:23:49 AM »

Other than Kevin Dunn's performance as Murry, actually being very good, I thought the movie was OK for a beginner fan of the BB's, but that's about it. 

Lorne being regarded as "Tommy Schaffer" and no mention of Tony Asher, but Van Dyke being the indirect collaborator on PS. 

I thought, overall, it was your typical "made for TV movie based on true facts" - which basically means, the characters say each other's names about 500 times in a 5 minute period in the script.  Ever notice that in the Made For TV movies based on famous people? 

You have the Wonder Years Mom saying "Murry, I can't do this Murry" and "Murry, you never showed any appreciation to those boys, Murry!"  and whoever the chick played Marilyn saying "Brian" about nine hundred times.

I just find that whole "say the name a lot of times" very annoying.

Feh.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 08:21:04 AM »

The portrayal of Brian was awful.  Sounded and acted like Pokey on the Gumby claymations.  That had already been done when Nicholas Cage ruined Peggy Sue Got Married.

So bad I can't bring myself to watch it again, let alone share it with anyone. 

And the ending was worse than awful.  A stupid, senseless, abrupt, misleading, anticlimax.  Did that come from ML or Stamos?

While we're mentally recasting this film, who do you think would have been a better choice or choices (young Brian/older Brian) to play the Brian Character?

Consider this before laughing or immediately dismissing it:

Jason Lee.
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 08:42:22 AM »

I missed this movie when it aired... but based on everyone's comments, it doesn't sound like I am missing much.  Huh

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 08:51:48 AM »

I think some people might be confusing the movie with another BB movie...there are two movies

An American Family

and

Summer Dreams

I havent seen AAF (I saw bits of it on ABC but I was a lot younger and don't remember much) and I recently watched Summer Dreams a billion times, its nothing special...but anything to do with the Beach Boys is fun.

Anyways, back to recasting...As much as I love Jason Lee, he doesn't have the baby face Brian has, but if you watch Summer Dreams, the guys who played Brian, Carl, and Bruce were great. Mike's actor was alright too...and as much as I like Bruce Greenwood, he did a terrible job playing Dennis.

--
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 10:04:46 AM »

I don't think anyone is confusing "An American Family" with "Summer Dreams". SD may have been weak, but compared to the mean-spirited inaccuracies of AAF, it was an enjoyable trifle. As a character, Brian retained his dignity in SD; not so in AAF. Almost as bad as Mike's character repeatedly saving the day from blithering idiot Brian was that absurd moment where Brian's character cruelly dismisses Dennis' songwriting saying he'll never be anything more "than a clubber".
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 10:33:39 AM »

Word! Best parts in SD for me were the recording of GOK and their little version of the Cocaine Sessions (which im still trying to get a hold of)

--
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx