gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681075 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 01:32:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stevie  (Read 10550 times)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »

This song really reminds me of God Only Knows and also the opening verses to Good Vibrations, in its melody. I can't put my finger on it but it just sounds similar. I find it fascinating that Brian can still write a melody reminiscent of his peak songs at this stage, whatever his intake was. Just imagine Stevie with Pet Sounds style production!!
It's been said that the melody has a resemblance to the so-called Indian Wisdom instrumental.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »

This song really reminds me of God Only Knows and also the opening verses to Good Vibrations, in its melody. I can't put my finger on it but it just sounds similar. I find it fascinating that Brian can still write a melody reminiscent of his peak songs at this stage, whatever his intake was. Just imagine Stevie with Pet Sounds style production!!
It's been said that the melody has a resemblance to the so-called Indian Wisdom instrumental.

now you mention it I can hear that. I tell you what else it reminds me of in the verse melody: baby I love you by the ronnettes. Maybe it's the "whoah oh oh" but I think there's a lot ofsimilarities between the two.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »

I've always said that. The melody of the verses is quite similar to the melody of that instrumental song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »

Was this song part of the sessions that Brian and Dennis did that are known as the "cocaine sessions"? If so, was this the most completed song that was worked on?
Yes and yes. The financial plug was pulled right after they did the "Stevie" demo.
What a shame. They could have really done something special. But here lies the moral dilemma. In 1980-82, Brian and Dennis were each other's worst enemy, as far as their lifestyle's are concerned. Letting them have free reign could have only ended in disaster. But musically, they were amazing. So it's a shame that they couldn't be supported enough to make more recordings. These were two people that belonged in a studio.  But it's also a good thing that somebody had the sense to separate them from each other.

You know, it really was more than a shame; it was a bit of a tragedy...  And, while there was definitely a tinge of madness to their behavior, there was also an interesting element of discipline within them both.  Brian, who had done his share of drinking back in the 60's, not only didn't join Dennis in that side of things, but even expressed his concern about it to me often, and occasionally even told it Dennis himself!  And Dennis had the wherewithal to get studio time, pull sessions together, get musicians...  But by that time he was always only one step ahead of someone pulling the plug...

Truly tragic, Ed, both so close to getting the support they needed. Brian eventually got it (and his life saved, but at great cost to his creativity and mind via over-medication, courtesy of Landy, then) and now with Melinda. Dennis never got it, and his demons finally got the better of him. At least one story has had a relatively triumphant ending.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 01:19:23 AM »

Has the video of Stevie Nicks' own "cocaine sessions" ever leaked?  I would mind checking it out, if it exists?
What's this about?

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »

Stevie's a MTT.

Remember to log out of your computer at work.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »

Huh?

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 06:23:13 PM »

During a recent interview with Brian I asked him his memories on "That Special Feeling," which had said that he "had heard -- but didn't remember". He had zero recollection of writing or recording "Stevie" -- "STEVEN?" No, "Stevie." He laughed and explained, "No, I don't remember that one for sure!!!" After I sang the wordless chorus to him, he innocently exclaimed "That's a nice little melody!!! That's a good melody!!!"
MBE
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »

I bet he hasn't heard those since he cut them.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 06:52:02 PM »

Is there a realistic chance of "Stevie" seeing an official release? 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »

I bet he hasn't heard those since he cut them.
I have often wondered about that, regarding "the cocaine sessions". Songs like "Oh Lord" and "Why Don't You Tell Me?", specifically.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 09:07:07 PM »

During a recent interview with Brian I asked him his memories on "That Special Feeling," which had said that he "had heard -- but didn't remember". He had zero recollection of writing or recording "Stevie" -- "STEVEN?" No, "Stevie." He laughed and explained, "No, I don't remember that one for sure!!!" After I sang the wordless chorus to him, he innocently exclaimed "That's a nice little melody!!! That's a good melody!!!"

Where is this interview? Have you released it yet? It sounds like you asked about some really interesting stuff! Any other interesting titles you asked him about?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »

Where is this interview? Have you released it yet? It sounds like you asked about some really interesting stuff! Any other interesting titles you asked him about?
I'd also like to hear about this too!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 10:57:39 PM »

Resurrecting this topic, I hope that's okay…

Was Denny still in a relationship with Christine when this song got recorded?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 11:42:46 PM »

So, that random moment when you suddenly find a thread you have no memory of ever making.  Grin

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 01:05:45 AM »

I wanted to say something here. It is so cool to read some of the responses about Dennis, Brian and there issues. When alot of this first came to light in the 90's (Cocaine Sessions), there was alot of "Well, Denny did self-destruct and die early, but it was so FREAKING COOL how he lived. He rocked!" Even Mr DP thought that about him at least some what. Now people are taking a reassessment and that is good. Denny had SO MUCH FREAKING TALENT it wasn't even funny. He just had it under that same black cloud as all the Wilson boys did. I just wished he and Brian could have cleaned up together and come out on the other side.

I have always had this fantasy about Dennis. It was that he got clean AND got his underlying issues dealt with. Then slowly, he would extract himself from the group and become one of those great Phil Ramone type producers that we here about. Probably alot like Don Was in the '80's and '90s. Cuz the boy KNEW the studio and how to make it sing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 03:35:00 AM »

It was right around the time they split...varying reports say they broke up in late '80 or early '81. The "Stevie" sessions were 1/9 and 1/14 of '81.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 07:07:41 AM »

Fascinating to hear Brian's reaction (and lack of recollection) - thanks for sharing.

I always think this song, more than so much of the unreleased material, is a little hidden gem. It surprises me that it hasn't seen release or hasn't been reworked for one of Brian's recent albums.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 08:11:37 AM »

Could it be that this is another one of those songs that just has too many bad memories associated with it for the BB collectively to release it? I mean, that was the insinuation about 'Carry Me Home' if I remember rightly (and possibly, I don't!)... ie. that the surviving members of the group couldn't stand to release a Denny tune on which he sings about being scared to die.

We're all at least one stage removed from that kind of position, and just want the songs out there, but I can imagine that one or other band members might veto certain tracks for personal reasons. And 'Stevie' is loaded with those, both for Dennis and Brian. Maybe it's just *too* loaded?

Having said that, I don't think Stevie is that great a track anyway. The music trades on previous Brian successes too much for me; I heard the nods to Good Vibrations the first time I heard the track. And the delivery isn't great, either. Brian's vocal is in as great shape as *he* was by the early 80s.

My personal take on Stevie (your mileage, as usual, may and probably does vary...) is that it's an OK track from a time in the Beach Boys' history when most of their material was dreck, so it stands out. If you were trying to find something listenable from their 80s career, this is a reasonable choice in something of a desert period for good songwriting. But it's not like it's a Wild Honey outtake or something. It's a track with some spirit and energy, a fun horn arrangement, a bit too much of a debt to the melodies and arrangement of the verses from Good Vibrations and a sub-Love You quality Brian vocal. Ho hum, yawn... I think I preferred St Etienne's take on it on Caroline Now!

(In fact, some of those Caroline Now tracks sound way better than the BB originals — see: Go Away Boy, Rainbow Eyes, Lines... and the version of Lonely Sea, with its extended coda, is awesome, too, even if it can't quite top Brian's original)...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 09:17:53 AM »

It was right around the time they split...varying reports say they broke up in late '80 or early '81. The "Stevie" sessions were 1/9 and 1/14 of '81.

Wow. Timeline-wise, that is just so bizarre for Denny to produce a track specifically about a Stevie, a bandmate of the girl who just broke up with him (I'm assuming that's how it went down?), just weeks before (or right during) the time of the breakup. I'm wondering if maybe it was some sort of odd attempt at keeping a relationship going with Christine, or with Fleetwood Mac in general, in some fashion - or perhaps a love letter to Stevie, since Dennis was the guy who initially (pre-Christine) had hit on Stevie Nicks, right?  Almost like Dennis' version of My Diane, with the other brother singing.

Also odd to think of what must have been going through everyone's minds while being in the studio just weeks after Lennon was shot.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:05 PM »

Wow. Timeline-wise, that is just so bizarre for Denny to produce a track specifically about a Stevie, a bandmate of the girl who just broke up with him (I'm assuming that's how it went down?), just weeks before (or right during) the time of the breakup. I'm wondering if maybe it was some sort of odd attempt at keeping a relationship going with Christine, or with Fleetwood Mac in general, in some fashion - or perhaps a love letter to Stevie, since Dennis was the guy who initially (pre-Christine) had hit on Stevie Nicks, right?  Almost like Dennis' version of My Diane, with the other brother singing.

Also odd to think of what must have been going through everyone's minds while being in the studio just weeks after Lennon was shot.

I think it was just an attempt to help his brother Brian lay down a new song he'd written. So happens it was about Christine's bandmate.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »

I think it was just an attempt to help his brother Brian lay down a new song he'd written. So happens it was about Christine's bandmate.

Maybe was as simple as that. I can't imagine the irony was lost on them at the time though!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx