gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681054 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 01:23:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416286 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3150 on: November 06, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »

Don't think this deserves it's own thread, and don't want to stir up controversy, but highly interesting reading about autographs collectors talking about Brian  autogs (and, the possibility of Jeff signing for Brian) from this tour:

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/brian-wilson-autographs-on-the-current-be-careful?id=3524372%3ATopic%3A239933&page=1#comments

Deserves its own thread, methinks. Very much so.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:18:35 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: November 07, 2012, 02:56:26 AM »

Anyone know what the background music at this point of this video is derived from?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv2iTjYWma0&list=ULsv2iTjYWma0&feature=player_detailpage#t=500s

Initially the Vetetables Ballad insert sprang to mind, then the end of H&V: Children Were Raised, but both are tenuous.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3152 on: November 07, 2012, 03:17:58 AM »

Anyone know what the background music at this point of this video is derived from?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv2iTjYWma0&list=ULsv2iTjYWma0&feature=player_detailpage#t=500s

Sloop John B backing vocals.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: November 07, 2012, 03:27:38 AM »

Sloop John B backing vocals.

Winner.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: November 07, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »

Great stuff cheers, good ears and memory.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Sit badger, sit!
Smiley Smile Newbie

'Oh, wicked Fish,' the Youngest Badger cried.

View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: November 08, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »

Please, tell me your favorite vegetable (I love sweet potatoes myself - they have the sensual characteristics of a starch but are incontrovertibly vegetables).

'Oh, dear beyond our dearest dreams,
Fairer than all that fairest seems!
To feast the rosy hours away,
To revel in a roundelay!
How blest would be
A life so free -
Ipwergis-Pudding to consume,
And drink the subtle Azzigoom!
Transcendental Meditation
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: November 08, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »

Please, tell me your favorite vegetable (I love sweet potatoes myself - they have the sensual characteristics of a starch but are incontrovertibly vegetables).
Broccoli - anywhere, any day of the week.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: November 08, 2012, 05:56:46 PM »

Gotta rep for sweet potatoes.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: November 08, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »

Broccoli - anywhere, any day of the week.

I'll agree - but with loads of cheese sauce. I'm sure Brian would approve.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: November 09, 2012, 12:01:37 AM »

Beets are pretty fuckin' rad.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3160 on: November 09, 2012, 12:15:23 AM »

French fries, haha! but most people don't count that. I guess spinach. Leaf vegetables (spinach, arugala, collard greens et cetera) are great, especially when cooked a little.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: November 09, 2012, 01:20:44 AM »

does this remind anyone of Pet Sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXDJQkuWeA

I've heard a snippet of that song before and when I clicked on it I knew what it was - I was tempted to say 'no', because it has such an overbearingly modern feel that a lot of music I don't listen to has, but I'm listening to the album that track came from, and it's incredibly amazing. I sense a Pet Sounds influence but not in a remotely aural way - just the way that Pet Sounds is different from any other album, these tracks from Grizzly Bear have the same categories - so individual, almost uncategorizable.
You know, opening two windows and playing both twenty seconds apart from each other is a surprisingly awesome experience.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: November 09, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »

David Letterman had a singer named Lianne La Havas on last night. She and her song were very good. And at the end of the song, Dave threw in a nice, out-of-the-blue reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dhpR4kY2vE

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: November 09, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:27:18 AM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: November 09, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »

David Letterman had a singer named Lianne La Havas on last night. She and her song were very good. And at the end of the song, Dave threw in a nice, out-of-the-blue reference:

Haha. Coincidence or not?  Azn
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: November 09, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »

No, not coincidence. Letterman is a huge Beach Boys fan. He's had Brian on a bunch of times. He also had the Beach Boys (without Brian do hit top 10):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4eNAZxl0M

And he had the Boys with Brian and James House in 1996. That has to be one of the last Brian-Carl performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylsOb1oX2SI

I was surprised Letterman didn't have them on this year, but maybe when Fallon offered them half his show, they decided they didn't need to do his show (or maybe Letterman doesn't book people who go on Fallon first).

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: November 09, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »

Holy sh!t she's amazing. Soul and polyrhythms both. And beautiful too. Out of sight.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: November 10, 2012, 05:45:57 AM »

Not a question but a statement. I hate fucking baseball player Brian Wilson for being called Brian Wilson, instead of the great Beach Boy I find lots of pictures of this bearded guy. Freakin' annoying. Worst part is few will remember him in 30 years, the real Brian lives on forever.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: November 11, 2012, 04:46:10 AM »

I've been altering the templates/navigability of Beach Boys albums and singles on Wikipedia this week and I have to say, I laughed quite a bit when I got to "Tears in the Morning" and saw that the only mentioned cover was by Thulsa Doom, a "stoner rock" band. I wonder what Bruce would say about a "stoner rock" band covering his composition  LOL

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: November 11, 2012, 06:10:29 AM »

Thulsa Doom did a excellent job with that cover!!   Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: November 11, 2012, 06:36:16 AM »

Thulsa Doom did a excellent job with that cover!!   Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRHNkDmIfLI

That's a pretty straightforward cover... I would have expected something else entirely from a stoner rock band. But yeah, nice cover.  Smokin
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: November 11, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »

Not a question but a statement. I hate f***ing baseball player Brian Wilson for being called Brian Wilson, instead of the great Beach Boy I find lots of pictures of this bearded guy. Freakin' annoying. Worst part is few will remember him in 30 years, the real Brian lives on forever.
I'm with you there! especially on Amazon!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: November 11, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »

Worst part is few will remember him in 30 years, the real Brian lives on forever.

Don't be so sure.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: November 11, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »

Worst part is few will remember him in 30 years, the real Brian lives on forever.

Don't be so sure.

I agree, Runners. I don't really know anyone in my group of friends who aren't batshit crazy about 60s music (read: just about all of them) who didn't know the name Brian Wilson until I informed them about who he was and then proceeded to ruin our friendship by rambling on non-stop about him whenever we hung out. In 30 years, I don't think anyone except super-duper hardcore music fans will know the name Brian Wilson.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: November 11, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »

To anyone who's watching the new season of The Office, does the new guy (played by Clark Duke) remind you of Brian? It's like they deliberately gave him the Pet Sounds-era look.

That's the kid from Hot Tub Time Machine!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx