gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681052 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 09:54:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416272 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: October 22, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »

I think we have speculated on this before, and it kind of ties into the Surf's Up discussion above....but why was Brian so loathe to do leads starting around the Sunflower/Surf's Up area? He was still obviously involved in many of the tracks they were cutting at the time in some way or another. Mickey Mouse syndrome? Self-confidence or drug issues?

I think it came down to his physical shape deteriorating (which was helped by the drugs, cigarettes and most likely lack of exercise - which go hand in hand) literally making it physically difficult for him to sing after he hit his mid 20's

That'd be it. I love Brian's late 60s/early 70s vocals (it may be my favorite era of his voice, honestly), but by then, Carl was better suited for songs like "Surf's Up" than Brian was. I don't doubt there was emotion in his voice in his leads, but singing something like that is pretty taxing if you're out of shape (if you can do it at all). Desper posted recently that Brian was not able to hit the notes in the "Columnated ruins domino" part anymore, at least not effectively. I really hope his attempts at the lead still exist somewhere, but I doubt it.

Right on, to say that his voice was completely devoid of emotion would be inaccurate. Maybe he thought he had his run and being that pretty much all of the other Beach Boys at the time were more on top of their game vocally, it'd be better for them to do the majority of the leads. Which.. is kinda cool because it makes it special when you spot a BW vocal on any the early 70's stuff. The few moments he had on record were perfect (the ending of "Forever" for instance, his line in "Add Some Music", some of the Spring LP backgrounds, etc). That tone man!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: October 22, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »

This isn't specifically Beach Boys related but it seems like here'd be a wise place for this kind of tangent: You see a lot about LSD in the 1960s but, it seems to me, very little about shrooms. Why is that? Is this just the drug that the popular media and culture focused on? I know it wasn't until the late '60s that LSD hit the streets in the first place which surely has something to do with it? Any good social histories of psychedelic drug use around? LOL
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: October 23, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »

I was watching the Al Jardine- Postcard from CA promo video and it has Brian singing part of the title song, does he have a vocal line on the album? I thought he was only on 3 tracks: Don't Fight the Sea, Drivin', and Honkin down the Highway.

Also, Macca's "cameo" where he just says: "don't fight the sea" and that's it, was that from another documentary or was that aimed at Al and/or Beach Boys?

And finally, besides the version of Waves of Love that was on the Postcard album, wasn't there another version going around? Not the backstage version...anyone know what I'm talkin about? Where does this come from?

Here's the video I'm discussing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8vx2njD_EU
Thanks for reminding this utterly cracking video, punkinhead! Al's definitely cool having all these famous musicians on his record! I'm glad to know that he owns studio in such a beautiful area.

Re questions: I can only answer to your first one. According to my ears, Brian is absent on the title track. So I think it's early takes when Al at first only suggested the leads to one or another singer & checked how it all sounds. So I dare to say that initially Brian was supposed to sing one of the lead vocals on the said song but eventually it didn't worked or something.
Perhaps he sang what became Glen C's lead vocal? Though it'd be cool to hear Brian, Glen's vocal is top notch!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: October 23, 2012, 11:14:33 AM »

In trying to lose weight currently, how did Jeff lose all his weight?

I know I'm bound to view a sea of silly responses but I'm actually really curious how he did it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: October 23, 2012, 11:27:53 AM »

I've heard he had a gastric bypass somewhere round these parts, although as always someone should confirm that for you.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: October 23, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »

He listened to "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way". The song's message, while relevant to weight loss, wasn't what helped him. Hearing the song just made him extremely ill for a long period.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3031 on: October 23, 2012, 01:05:40 PM »

In trying to lose weight currently, how did Jeff lose all his weight?

I know I'm bound to view a sea of silly responses but I'm actually really curious how he did it.

As previously stated, gastric bypass.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: October 23, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »

Has Al ever sung lead on God Only Knows?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: October 23, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »

Has Al ever sung lead on God Only Knows?

He does a bit of it in his own band!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35bxpiMAX7s

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3034 on: October 24, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »

Would Elvis Presley have liked the Love You album?

Or would he have put a bullet in his turntable?

I can imagine him singing his own version of Honkin' or Rolling Skating Child.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3035 on: October 24, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »

I'd like JD Sumner and The Stamps to sing a lovely Brian Wilson song now, it's  called Ding Dang...
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3036 on: October 24, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »

...sing it fellas
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: October 24, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »

I now have Elvis singing Roller Skating Child stuck in my head. lol The power of suggestion is a weird trick.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: October 24, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »

I think we have speculated on this before, and it kind of ties into the Surf's Up discussion above....but why was Brian so loathe to do leads starting around the Sunflower/Surf's Up area? He was still obviously involved in many of the tracks they were cutting at the time in some way or another. Mickey Mouse syndrome? Self-confidence or drug issues?

I think it came down to his physical shape deteriorating (which was helped by the drugs, cigarettes and most likely lack of exercise - which go hand in hand) literally making it physically difficult for him to sing after he hit his mid 20's

That'd be it. I love Brian's late 60s/early 70s vocals (it may be my favorite era of his voice, honestly), but by then, Carl was better suited for songs like "Surf's Up" than Brian was. I don't doubt there was emotion in his voice in his leads, but singing something like that is pretty taxing if you're out of shape (if you can do it at all). Desper posted recently that Brian was not able to hit the notes in the "Columnated ruins domino" part anymore, at least not effectively. I really hope his attempts at the lead still exist somewhere, but I doubt it.

I love the almost metallic sound to his falsetto on Sunflower (particularly his backing falsetto on This Whole World).  IIRC I read somewhere that in the 2000s someone bet Brian a steak dinner that he couldn't hit the high note in Surf's Up anymore.  Brian won the bet apparently.

Some of his leads during this era are still very nice, like his lead for Sail Plane song.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3039 on: October 24, 2012, 11:47:22 PM »

IIRC I read somewhere that in the 2000s someone bet Brian a steak dinner that he couldn't hit the high note in Surf's Up anymore.  Brian won the bet apparently.

Someone who posts on this very board, and yes, they lost.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3040 on: October 24, 2012, 11:55:12 PM »

IIRC I read somewhere that in the 2000s someone bet Brian a steak dinner that he couldn't hit the high note in Surf's Up anymore.  Brian won the bet apparently.

free steak dinner = domino
adloc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: October 25, 2012, 01:17:50 AM »

free steak dinner = domino

Took a few seconds there, but  LOL
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3042 on: October 25, 2012, 04:29:04 PM »

In your fantasy world, what would be the perfect Vinyl release?

halblaineisgood
« Reply #3043 on: October 25, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »

In your fantasy world, what would be the perfect Vinyl release?

Smiley Smile

Disc 1: Mono, cut from the tape
Disc 2: Stereo remix
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:31:24 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3044 on: October 25, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »

Right on, to say that his voice was completely devoid of emotion would be inaccurate. Maybe he thought he had his run and being that pretty much all of the other Beach Boys at the time were more on top of their game vocally, it'd be better for them to do the majority of the leads. Which.. is kinda cool because it makes it special when you spot a BW vocal on any the early 70's stuff. The few moments he had on record were perfect (the ending of "Forever" for instance, his line in "Add Some Music", some of the Spring LP backgrounds, etc). That tone man!

The last complete leads of that era I can think of are "Good Time" and "Games Two Can Play", which both sound fine. "Til I Die" is IMHO already a step downwards.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: October 25, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »

The last complete leads of that era I can think of are "Good Time" and "Games Two Can Play", which both sound fine. "Til I Die" is IMHO already a step downwards.

Ahh, yes. Good Time is indeed a cool vocal and it demonstrates that BW was still able to weave in and out of falsetto in 1970 - although he never really lost that ability. His voice is a little more matured here, but still youthful. Falsetto is leaning a little towards being Frankie Valli-ish, but it still retains the classic BW sound. Games Two Can Play is okay, if a little sloppy. I can see why it didn't make an official release prior to the GV box set. Fun record tho, I enjoy it.

And Til I Die - I hear what you're saying - on the "hey, hey, hey"'s, it's like he's in falsetto but in an extremely low register. If he had sang it in '66, the tone would've been deeper & fuller.

But, I gotta say the "Until I diieeee" is one of my favorite BW falsetto parts! .. Chills! Maybe the last great officially released falsetto?

Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: October 25, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »

Til I Die is where I first thought hang on, there's something going on with his voice.  It does sound a lot weaker than say something like Good Time (is there one or two years between these recordings?).  Having said that, he still nails the lower falsetto line in the round at the end.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: October 25, 2012, 10:48:42 PM »

I always thought that the "aahhh-ah-huh" background in Be Here In The Morning sounded a little "nasally", or flat or possibly thin. There is also an alternate version of Do It Again where Brian sings the middle eight in a high/falsetto voice. It's been a while since I've heard it, but if I remember correctly he sounded ever so slightly strained.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: October 25, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »

Brian sounds great on "'Til I Die". That's no "love it or leave it" bullsh*t either, he really sounds great (to me), and I'm not hearing much in the way of his voice sounding weak or anything in comparison to contemporary material of the time. Honestly, for that particular song, the mix is a little odd in comparison to "Good Time" or something. If I recall, his voice is kind of buried and panned to the left a bit. Also bone dry (a rarity) and not doubled like it is on "Good Time".
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:53:27 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: October 26, 2012, 01:00:31 AM »

When was the first film or picture of the beach boys shot/taken? My guess would be this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOg1MxozVPc

This looks Fall 1962.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx