gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681117 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 24, 2024, 04:41:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1417829 times)
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #2625 on: July 24, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »

It might be.  At times it sounds like Carl...but then at other times it sounds like Brian.  I guess I always assumed it was Brian.
It's Carl & Brian both.  Wink

Yeah, I listened to it again when I got home.  Even with its flaws...it's still just a punchy, bouncy track...and the lyrics are great! 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: July 24, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »

Through all the books and research I've done, I recall reading very little about how Carl and Mike got along with one another. Does anyone have any insight on their relationship?
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: July 25, 2012, 06:59:20 AM »

I can only imagine the look on Mike's face when Brian played that one for him!  It must have been priceless!  God bless, Brian Wilson!

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: July 25, 2012, 12:01:32 PM »

Hey, All!
I was thinking about checking out Endless Harmony Soundtrack, and Hawthorne, Ca.
Which would you recommend more?
Thanks!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: July 25, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »

Hey, All!
I was thinking about checking out Endless Harmony Soundtrack, and Hawthorne, Ca.
Thanks!
Definitely both! Each at a time.  3D
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: July 25, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »

Hey, All!
Thanks!

I agree...get them booth.  Lots of neat stuff to listen to if you want to dig a little deeper into their catalog.  The Beach Boys have been blessed in recent years to have their vaults cared for by some really good guys.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: July 25, 2012, 02:25:07 PM »

Hey, All!
Thanks!

Both essential. They can't be too expensive on ebay or Amazon.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Paulos
« Reply #2632 on: July 25, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »

Should the "vocals thread" remain as a sticky?

Yes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: July 25, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »

Is Life's Suite apart of Rio Grande? Or Saturday morning/evening in the city? Also, if Brian ends up doin life's suite for the next album, will they re-record the last 3 tracks from TWGMTR? Being they're a part of that suite.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: July 26, 2012, 12:55:34 AM »

I was hoping that the "Life Suite"(is that the proper name?) would be the final track on the "career spanning box set".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: July 26, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »

Is Life's Suite apart of Rio Grande? Or Saturday morning/evening in the city? Also, if Brian ends up doin life's suite for the next album, will they re-record the last 3 tracks from TWGMTR? Being they're a part of that suite.

You're getting several wires crossed. 'Life's Suite' was the original title for what Gene Landy wanted to do when Lenny Waronker requested a suite. It was conceptually supposed to be awful, and I don't know much got written if even recorded (was Saturday Morning In The City really part of it? I can't recall). Brian wrote Rio Grande instead with Waronker (who suggested the cowboy theme), Paley, and others.

Now in 2012, Brian might well have thrown around 'Life Suite' as a title (but it's probably more of a description, like we give the 'suites' on BWPS names) but I don't think he's claiming he wrote Summer's Gone for BW88 (that's not true, anyway) or that any of the songs from TWGMTR had germinated there. Most of these tunes came from 1998 sessions with Joe Thomas and touched up last year, or freshly written in 2011/2012.

Also, no they will not re-record those songs. Given that we know more of the suite has been recorded than was released, if not the whole thing, it's possible that they will either re-record the unreleased portions if they need more BW material for the next record, or just not use it at all if BW writes a dozen more good songs.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:56:11 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: July 26, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »

You're getting several wires crossed. 'Life's Suite' was the original title for what Gene Landy wanted to do when Lenny Waronker requested a suite. It was conceptually supposed to be awful, and I don't know much got written if even recorded (was Saturday Morning In The City really part of it? I can't recall). Brian wrote Rio Grande instead with Waronker (who suggested the cowboy theme), Paley, and others.

Now in 2012, Brian might well have thrown around 'Life Suite' as a title (but it's probably more of a description, like we give the 'suites' on BWPS names) but I don't think he's claiming he wrote Summer's Gone for BW88 (that's not true, anyway) or that any of the songs from TWGMTR had germinated there. Most of these tunes came from 1998 sessions with Joe Thomas and touched up last year, or freshly written in 2011/2012.

Also, no they will not re-record those songs. Given that we know more of the suite has been recorded than was released, if not the whole thing, it's possible that they will either re-record the unreleased portions if they need more BW material for the next record, or just not use it at all if BW writes a dozen more good songs.
I see, thanks!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: July 26, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »

While listening to H&V live from 1967 in Hawaii on the Concert/Live in London twofer, I've always been bugged by the part around the end of the song where it's slowed down and someone does a fake sneeze during the vocals (kinda sounds like Al, I know that's hard to tell)...but is this Brian's sense of humor that we kinda received when Mike ranted about H&V being "an atomic bomb"? Was Brian sneezing or somebody else doing that to be funny during the song? I've always been annoyed by it.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: July 26, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »

I was pretty sure it was about male ejaculate
I too have heard that the lyrics of 'Feel Flows' are, at least in part, about man fat:  "unfolding, enveloping missiles of soul....white, hot, glistening, shadowy flows".

I also heard a coke binge was involved.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: July 26, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »

I see, thanks!
So does anyone know the track order for Life's Suite?

Also, are there dates for when all the tracks for TWGMTR were written?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2640 on: July 26, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »

I was pretty sure it was about male ejaculate
I too have heard that the lyrics of 'Feel Flows' are, at least in part, about man fat:  "unfolding, enveloping missiles of soul....white, hot, glistening, shadowy flows".

According to JFR III, that's "white puff glistening".  Which kinda removes any doubt.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: July 26, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »

What can we expect from Al in the future? Will he submit some of his own solo material for the next BB album or will he do another solo album? I read on the recent interview with David Beard Al about Postcard from California that he wants to take a break from recording a solo album and I think that's a bad idea but then again, I'm a fan, and I always want more, because there was mention of more songs, and I'd love to hear em. stuff he did with Larry Dvoskin, that new song (life's a wave) and others like Jennifer Clover, Wish, and Good Good Feelings. Not to mention anything else he has out there, that recording of California from 98 (on the EH doc), and other's he wanted to re-record like Don't Go Near the Water and I could see him re-recording or at least performing in concert Santa Ana Winds or Lookin' At Tomorrow.

I've come to appreciate Al more than I have in the past few months with frequent listening to his album, his involvement at the reunion concerts, and great vocals on the newest BB album...so now that I appreciate him more, I want to expect more from him, because he's that good.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: July 26, 2012, 11:19:50 AM »

I see, thanks!

I just checked the Carlin book and I was in fact, wrong - he says that 'Life's Suite' was only an alternate set of lyrics to Rio Grande, and doesn't imply that it was a piece unto itself.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: July 26, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »

I see, thanks!

I just checked the Carlin book and I was in fact, wrong - he says that 'Life's Suite' was only an alternate set of lyrics to Rio Grande, and doesn't imply that it was a piece unto itself.
This was also to be called Child, Adult, Parent? Something like that?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: July 27, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »

One question, who is Terry Sachen? Was he close friends with Brian or any BB member? Or did he come across The BBs area by chance? Will be glad to know a little about him, IKTAA has probably the hippest words & phrases above the rest of PS!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: July 27, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »

One question, who is Terry Sachen? Was he close friends with Brian or any BB member? Or did he come across The BBs area by chance? Will be glad to know a little about him, IKTAA has probably the hippest words & phrases above the rest of PS!

He was the Beach Boys road manager at the time.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: July 27, 2012, 08:24:33 PM »

This is more of an observation than a question, but I didn't know where else to post it....ever notice that over half of the songs on Pet Sounds start with the word "I"?

-I know perfectly well I'm not where I should be
-I had to prove that I could make it alone....
-I can hear so much in your sighs....
-I came along when he broke your heart....
-I may not always love you....
-I know so many people who think they can do it alone...
-I keep lookin' for a place to fit in...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: July 27, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »

When was H.E.L.P. Is On The Way recorded?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: July 27, 2012, 10:51:52 PM »

While listening to H&V live from 1967 in Hawaii on the Concert/Live in London twofer, I've always been bugged by the part around the end of the song where it's slowed down and someone does a fake sneeze during the vocals (kinda sounds like Al, I know that's hard to tell)...but is this Brian's sense of humor that we kinda received when Mike ranted about H&V being "an atomic bomb"? Was Brian sneezing or somebody else doing that to be funny during the song? I've always been annoyed by it.

I always thought it was Mike "sneezing" at the Sunny Down Snuff line... snuff is known to produce sneezing, and we all know how Mike likes to act out lyrics in a completely literal way. Sunny Down Snuff was also Van Dyke's nickname was it not? so the sneeze may have been a subtle or not-so-subtle dig as well.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2649 on: July 28, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »

When was H.E.L.P. Is On The Way recorded?

8/17/70

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx