gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681052 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 10:57:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416278 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2375 on: May 14, 2012, 06:11:41 AM »

Well where to do you get all you information on unreleased items and such? I'm not saying you don't give credit to anyone, and honestly, I haven't looked, but do you have more sources than say an "average joe" like myself that owns at least one copy of every BB/BW book and have read/printed many essays/sessions commentetaries/song lists & info from sites like yours and other good ones.

Unfortunately, the only books I don't have is the new 50 sides of BB songs and David Leaf's book.
BTW, of anyone who has read those, am I gonna learn anything new from either book? Not saying I won't buy it anyway is you say no.

Books, articles, interviews, setlists, AFM sheets, tape box labels, listening to stuff I don't actually have (honest officer...) and information from various sources cultivated these last 35 years.

But most of it I make up.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 14, 2012, 06:20:55 AM »

Now maybe this is wishful thinking but does anyone think Brian was hoping for a BB reunion in 98? With recent revealings that Brian had started writing songs for this album in 98 (I'm only assuming they were intended for the rest of the boys)...but I've often heard folks say that Imagination is Brian's closest to making a solo album sound like an updated BB album, and I believe him. Just think of all the BB references in the album, more than any other solo album besides the obvious IJWMFTT/BWPS....but then again, as I ponder that question, I wonder if TLOS beat Imagination on a solo album if Brian sounding and writing BB-esque songs.

But just think about Your Imagination, the song would sound amazing with all the guys on vocals, although Brian already does (have you heard that vocals only version,WOW!). SHe says that She Needs Me takes us back to Summer Days & 15 Big Ones/Adult Child, and obvious killer ballad that really belongs (if it was finished for Summer Days). South America is obviously the most BB-sounding song Brian ever wrote for his solo career up to this point. Where has Love Been is a great ballad that I think Brian and Al would have a great shared/lead vocal. Keep an Eye on Summer (an obvious BB-relative), idk the story on this but obviously, Joe Thomas or Brian wanted to get back to the S&S Vol. 2, which this is actually really good. I could also hear the BB doing Dream Angel...Cry would be a great lead vocal by Brian (as already is but sound more like Don't Talk) and instead of the Brian, have all the guys harmonize the ending parts, which would sound amazing! Lay Down Burden, I don't think I should have to say much about it, something Brian was gonna do with Carl or at least FOR Carl, I can't remember and did VDP have something to do with this? I can't remember. Again, Let Him Run Wild is another BB-rehash that I think would help Brian's solo track out tremendously. How could he trump the Summer Days version??!?!?!??! (I'm aware he doesn't like that old version, but I really don't dig the backing track on this one, obviously the guys coulda helped this weaker cover out. Sunshine woulda sounded great with the guys too. Could you imagine Mike singing the lead then the coda ("...don't be afraid to call...") would be Brian or Carl.  And I think the guys woulda loved singing Happy Days...sure, Mike would give that ego excuse about the song, but who cares what he thinks. the 2nd half would really be a great ending to the song/album.

Maybe that was just a rambling about Imagination, but anyone wanna join in for the argument?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 14, 2012, 06:23:34 AM »

Well where to do you get all you information on unreleased items and such? I'm not saying you don't give credit to anyone, and honestly, I haven't looked, but do you have more sources than say an "average joe" like myself that owns at least one copy of every BB/BW book and have read/printed many essays/sessions commentetaries/song lists & info from sites like yours and other good ones.

Unfortunately, the only books I don't have is the new 50 sides of BB songs and David Leaf's book.
BTW, of anyone who has read those, am I gonna learn anything new from either book? Not saying I won't buy it anyway is you say no.

Books, articles, interviews, setlists, AFM sheets, tape box labels, listening to stuff I don't actually have (honest officer...) and information from various sources cultivated these last 35 years.

the items I've highlighted, where can I get my hands on those?
are your BB/BW stuff in your will?  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 14, 2012, 06:55:45 AM »

Does anyone have a BB/BW scrapbook?

I think everyone knows I have one, or more than one...really, I have 2 crates full of "scrapbooks" (basically file folders) from 10 years of taking advantage of public printers....all in order by different sections and categories. IDK about you, but I love going back and reading this stuff once in a while, learning, reading, and interpreting different items.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: May 16, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »

Who is singing the "Bow bow bow bow" on Chapel Of Love? And is it Al singing "Yeah yeah yeaahhh" at 1.47?

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:05 PM »

What's really weird is you make up the stuff I'm already thinking. How do you do it so well?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 16, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »

I'm sure this has been gone-over many times so I'm sorry for doing it again: Wikipedia informs me that the "original, unreleased session for the backing vocals [of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"] featured a stellar cast of Bruce [Johnston?], Danny Hutton, Gerry Beckley, Cat Stevens, Dusty Springfield and Brian Wilson: however, the results were disappointing". Considering the song was written (and ostensibly recorded around) January 1974, would Brian's vocals have been in Love You mode yet? Does this session circulate at all? I'm curious what Brian would've sounded like and if he contributed to the dissatisfaction -- it was also the beginning of his first serious bout of drug addiction, was it not?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2382 on: May 16, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »

Who is singing the "Bow bow bow bow" on Chapel Of Love? And is it Al singing "Yeah yeah yeaahhh" at 1.47?
Bow-bows are Mike.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 17, 2012, 08:18:40 AM »

On "let it shine", I read lynne gave brian the song and brian added the chorus.  Does this refer to the chanting at the start and middle or "there comes a burning fire....troubles dissapear" part?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: May 17, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »

On "let it shine", I read lynne gave brian the song and brian added the chorus.  Does this refer to the chanting at the start and middle or "there comes a burning fire....troubles dissapear" part?
IDK, but Brian needs to perform this with the guys on tour...did he ever do it when he was on solo tour?

Folks always say it's too ELO-ish, but I disagree...but then again, I don't really care for the 80's ELO...more of everything from the beginning to Discovery.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: May 17, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »

What's the difference between Carl Wilson's album and single version of Givin' You Up?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 18, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »

What's the difference between Carl Wilson's album and single version of Givin' You Up?
the single was on 45     Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2387 on: May 18, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »

I believe it's the chanting at the start.
SeanMaster150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: May 18, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

Who sings falsetto on the Love You album? I actually have a hard time recognizing Brian's after about 1970. Does he do falsetto on a lot of the albums after that, or was his voice fried?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: May 18, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »

Brian does quite a bit a of the falsetto vocals, but so do Carl & Al.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: May 18, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »

Disney Girls,    why 1957?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2391 on: May 18, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »

I believe it's the chanting at the start.

Brian's only contribution was the intro and outro vocal round... oh, and he hated the song.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: May 18, 2012, 11:37:31 PM »

The single version is edited and not as long. But it's been a while since I've heard it and I don't quite remember exactly what was edited out.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2393 on: May 20, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »

Who was Brian's long-lost cousin who owned land in Argentina? Does he sing or write music? Is he on Murry or Audree's side of the family? Does anyone know more about this guy? His quoted summation of "out of this world without traveling to space" is very Brian-esque.

- B00ts
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: May 20, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »

What's that instrument played in 'Surf's Up' that's supposed to sound like jewelry? A sleigh bell?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: May 20, 2012, 11:46:12 AM »

Who was Brian's long-lost cousin who owned land in Argentina? Does he sing or write music? Is he on Murry or Audree's side of the family? Does anyone know more about this guy? His quoted summation of "out of this world without traveling to space" is very Brian-esque.
Where (literature) is he mentioned?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 20, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »

What's that instrument played in 'Surf's Up' that's supposed to sound like jewelry? A sleigh bell?
Frankie Capp told me it was costume jewelry tossed from hand to hand.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 20, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »

Frankie Capp told me it was costume jewelry tossed from hand to hand.

Now that was unexpected. Thanks a lot.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: May 20, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »

I thought it was a set of keys?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 20, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »

Where (literature) is he mentioned?

An "artist on artist" featuring Brian Wilson & Jimmy Buffett.

No mas, por favor.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx