gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681052 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 09:50:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416271 times)
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2350 on: May 12, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »

During the opening segment of Saturday Night Live [SNL] tonight with Will Ferrell as guest host, it featured a sketch with Joe Biden, Obama, & George W. Bush. Right in the center of Biden's bedroom was a classic, oversize photo of The Beach Boys from 1964, in black and white.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: May 12, 2012, 08:45:35 PM »

Brian once said that he wrote the song "Cry" after he told Melinda he wanted a divorce, and she started to cry. Does anybody know why he wanted a divorce?

I believe he said they were just having a simple argument about something (he's never said the exact cause, although he said it wasn't important), and that he wanted a separation. I don't know if he actually said divorce.

Now I recall recently, we were discussing Brian's "R&R" album and that he worked on this with Mr. Scotty Bennet...I also recall that Proud Mary and You're Still A Mystery were re-recorded around this time....were there any other titles around that time? And I'm not crossing the rules by asking because I'm not asking to recieve them, but did they ever "make the rounds" like the TLOS demos?

Also, the two tracks I indicated above, were they re-recorded, or did Darian bring out his Paley demos and work from there?  Wink

-- I don't believe any more Wilson-Bennett material has surfaced.

-- Other titles include "Angels In Love" which is an unreleased Wilson-VDP tune. They cut some oldies as well.

-- Proud May was newly recorded. I don't believe they redid YSAM (that was recut by Brian and Joe during the Imagination sessions, and again in the GIOMH sessions).

I keep hearing(well, reading) about an unreleased recording called Dancin' The Night Away from the aborted beach boys album from the mid 1990's with a Carl Wilson lead. Does it circulate? You all know what the second part to that question is, yes?  Cool

Carl sings about two lines on it. There is a bit of harmony. Vocals weren't recorded for the rest of the song (98 percent of it, in other words).
When you say "surfaced", do you mean as public knowledge or on some type of recording heard by boot wearing listeners?

The latter. They definitely recorded more. Some of the songs have been heard by interested parties, but I don't think they circulate.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2352 on: May 12, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »

Brian once said that he wrote the song "Cry" after he told Melinda he wanted a divorce, and she started to cry. Does anybody know why he wanted a divorce?

I believe he said they were just having a simple argument about something (he's never said the exact cause, although he said it wasn't important), and that he wanted a separation. I don't know if he actually said divorce.

Yup, in an interview at the time of the album he used the D word.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: May 12, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »

Who plays the guitar solo in 'Dreamer' ?
John Hanlon
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2354 on: May 12, 2012, 10:25:24 PM »

Does Carl Wilson play the guitar on "Student Demonstration Time"? Did he produce the track with or for  Mike?  Is Brian singing?
Yes. Not sure. No. not sure if any BBs are on the track other than Carl.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: May 12, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »

Does Carl Wilson play the guitar on "Student Demonstration Time"? Did he produce the track with or for  Mike?  Is Brian singing?

c-man made the following observations in 2009:

"Student Demonstration Time" lists Bruce as the "leader", and the players listed are Bruce, Brian, Carl, and Dennis.

The most obvious omission is that of Daryl Dragon, who by Desper's recollection played bass & tack piano on "Student Demonstration Time".  But the sheets do appear somewhat accurate in that they only list Dennis on the contract for the one song he's known to have played on "SDT"), then his name is missing from the later ones (presumably due to his hand injury preventing him from playing).  Steve says the other players on "SDT" were Carl (on both guitar parts) and Mike on tambourine (plus horns and sirens).

Mike Kowalski once said he played drums on some of that album...there ARE two drum tracks on "SDT", so maybe one is his.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2356 on: May 12, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »

From Steve's book Recording The Beach Boys:

drums - Dennis
bass, piano - Daryl Dragon
guitars - Carl
tambourine - Mike

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 13, 2012, 12:26:18 AM »

Do any interviews of Dennis exist from the last three or so years of his life? The last real comments that I've read about were his comments about hating MIU, and pretty much blaming Mike for it. What was Dennis's last "official" press interview? I'm talking about something that might have been printed in a magazine, or something that would have been accessible to the general public or press. There are some pictures that exist of The Beach Boys with Dennis at some sort of press conference. Did Dennis speak at all?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 13, 2012, 06:42:31 AM »

Who plays the guitar solo in 'Dreamer' ?
John Hanlon

Thank you.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 13, 2012, 06:45:14 AM »

Do any interviews of Dennis exist from the last three or so years of his life? The last real comments that I've read about were his comments about hating MIU, and pretty much blaming Mike for it. What was Dennis's last "official" press interview? I'm talking about something that might have been printed in a magazine, or something that would have been accessible to the general public or press. There are some pictures that exist of The Beach Boys with Dennis at some sort of press conference. Did Dennis speak at all?

This is the last filmed interview with Dennis that I'm aware of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjnuj22Wunw
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2360 on: May 13, 2012, 09:04:09 AM »

c-man made the following observations in 2009:

"Student Demonstration Time" lists Bruce as the "leader", and the players listed are Bruce, Brian, Carl, and Dennis.

The most obvious omission is that of Daryl Dragon, who by Desper's recollection played bass & tack piano on "Student Demonstration Time".  But the sheets do appear somewhat accurate in that they only list Dennis on the contract for the one song he's known to have played on "SDT"), then his name is missing from the later ones (presumably due to his hand injury preventing him from playing).  Steve says the other players on "SDT" were Carl (on both guitar parts) and Mike on tambourine (plus horns and sirens).

Mike Kowalski once said he played drums on some of that album...there ARE two drum tracks on "SDT", so maybe one is his.

This is interesting given that, according to Jack Rieley (according to Badman): "SDT digusted Dennis, who walked out, and had me and Carl blushing with embaressment".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2361 on: May 13, 2012, 01:20:26 PM »

according to Jack Rieley (according to Badman)

two strikes, you're nearly out.  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 13, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »

AGD, have you ever had a "talk" with Badman about his book's "research"? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2363 on: May 13, 2012, 02:35:56 PM »

Believe it.  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 13, 2012, 04:43:35 PM »

Believe it.  Grin

Duel in Farnham for the BBs honor? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 13, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »

I had a question about the Dennis/Carl videos/vocals during the 50 tour.

Obviously they give Cowsill a click track to keep the band with Carl and Dennis' voices, but since the vocals are from live videos (and Carl's is with Dennis drumming in 1980) how exactly do they keep up with the live imperfections?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 13, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »

Obviously they give Cowsill a click track to keep the band with Carl and Dennis' voices, but since the vocals are from live videos (and Carl's is with Dennis drumming in 1980) how exactly do they keep up with the live imperfections?
I was wondering about something along those lines as well. During God Only Knows the video that is played is from Knebworth, so I assume that that's where Carl's  vocal is from. My question is, is Carl's guitar playing also being heard?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 13, 2012, 08:01:16 PM »

I was wondering about something along those lines as well. During God Only Knows the video that is played is from Knebworth, so I assume that that's where Carl's  vocal is from. My question is, is Carl's guitar playing also being heard?

Hmm, I doubt it. I'll bet they just took out his vocals. I just watched that Knebworth DVD and Dennis is definitely not always perfectly on time.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 13, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »

I'd imagine they isolated the vocal, and time stretched it here and there to make it fit to a specific BPM.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2369 on: May 14, 2012, 02:15:48 AM »

Believe it.  Grin

Basically, what happened was, I bought the book at the RFH in summer 2004, started reading, noticed the SS numbers and then realised that parts of the text seemed familiar. Very familiar, especially the post 1976 year capsules. So, back home, I emailed Badman and pointed out that my site had been used extensively, often word-for-word, without either my permission or any proper credit: his response was a sort-of apology, explaining that he assumed his researchers had sourced everything properly and that if I had a continuing problem, contact the publishers, which I did. Their initial response was "there's only so many ways you can say 'Joe Bloggs died', it's just a coincidence". So, I copied the post 1976 pages and printed out said years from my time line, highlighting the 'coincidences' in green. There was a LOT of green. Mailed that with a covering letter to the effect that I was prepared to go a lot further if they didn't offer a satisfactory response. Got an email about four days later apologising for the plagiarism, offering due credit if there was a reprint and free copies of same. I understand other authors/researchers had a similar response. That was fine by me.

over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: May 14, 2012, 02:23:16 AM »

Beach Boys poster in Joe Biden's room on SNL!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:24:21 AM by over and over » Logged

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: May 14, 2012, 03:46:46 AM »

I assume its not only my problem when, on my GV Box Set, the first couple of chords/notes are missing from cottonfields...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2372 on: May 14, 2012, 05:05:38 AM »

I assume its not only my problem when, on my GV Box Set, the first couple of chords/notes are missing from cottonfields...

Correct - they're all like that. It was noted at the time in the fan mags, the response from one of the compilers being "that's how it is on the master".

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: May 14, 2012, 05:15:30 AM »

I'd imagine they isolated the vocal, and time stretched it here and there to make it fit to a specific BPM.

That's what I would assume, as well.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: May 14, 2012, 06:01:10 AM »

Believe it.  Grin

Basically, what happened was, I bought the book at the RFH in summer 2004, started reading, noticed the SS numbers and then realised that parts of the text seemed familiar. Very familiar, especially the post 1976 year capsules. So, back home, I emailed Badman and pointed out that my site had been used extensively, often word-for-word, without either my permission or any proper credit: his response was a sort-of apology, explaining that he assumed his researchers had sourced everything properly and that if I had a continuing problem, contact the publishers, which I did. Their initial response was "there's only so many ways you can say 'Joe Bloggs died', it's just a coincidence". So, I copied the post 1976 pages and printed out said years from my time line, highlighting the 'coincidences' in green. There was a LOT of green. Mailed that with a covering letter to the effect that I was prepared to go a lot further if they didn't offer a satisfactory response. Got an email about four days later apologising for the plagiarism, offering due credit if there was a reprint and free copies of same. I understand other authors/researchers had a similar response. That was fine by me.
Well where to do you get all you information on unreleased items and such? I'm not saying you don't give credit to anyone, and honestly, I haven't looked, but do you have more sources than say an "average joe" like myself that owns at least one copy of every BB/BW book and have read/printed many essays/sessions commentetaries/song lists & info from sites like yours and other good ones.

Unfortunately, the only books I don't have is the new 50 sides of BB songs and David Leaf's book.
BTW, of anyone who has read those, am I gonna learn anything new from either book? Not saying I won't buy it anyway is you say no.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx