gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681107 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 06:29:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1417759 times)
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: December 08, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »

I was at my first big Christmas do this year and it was very big and glam. What comes on after the Christmas lunch......the Beach Boys! I had to keep my excitement to myself though..... The first Christmas song I hear this year and it's the Beach Boys. Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: December 08, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »

on 'I Don't Know', before the final take, who's that saying 'That one was the best I played, in the last, oo, three months' or similar?

Could someone help me out, or at least confirm it's Lyle Ritz? I think it's him.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: December 10, 2011, 11:06:09 PM »

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but I don't have a Kindle so I'll never be able to read it but it's the BB on CD 1961-69...the cover is interesting that it has a faceless Brian (from PS cover) feeding a CD.

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-CD-1961-1969-ebook/dp/B004XNNF2U/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1320684586&sr=8-40

Anyone seen this?
Ah, I just found the paperback edition...is this worth getting? (mind you I basically own every BB/BW book that's on Amazon, besides the Leaf book)

Anything Master Hickey writes is worth reading.

Well thank you! It was nice to see that pop up in my feed reader. (I read this board but haven't the free time to keep up well enough to post here on any regular basis).

For anyone who's wondering, the book (which, yes, is available in both paperback and hardback as well as ebook versions - Amazon don't seem to want to make it easy for people to find the paperback on this one though) doesn't have any new facts or anything in it. Rather, it's a song-by-song critical analysis of each track. Several people have told me they enjoyed it and it helped them appreciate the music more, but it's not a big piece of heavily-researched scholarship, just a critical appreciation of the music.

I've just finished reading Andrew's book and it's a fine read indeed; top shelf.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: December 11, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »

I was at my first big Christmas do this year and it was very big and glam. What comes on after the Christmas lunch......the Beach Boys! I had to keep my excitement to myself though..... The first Christmas song I hear this year and it's the Beach Boys. Smiley
So what's the question here?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: December 18, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »

Can we make a definative list of songs/riffs/vocals that were recorded specifically for the BB An American Family mini-series?

I'm guessing Brian recorded vocals for In My Room and I Get Around in 98/99?
Did he record the piano riffs? I wanna say the WIth Me Tonight riff is played during the Pet SOunds era, Shortenin' Bread riff is playing when Marilyn is in labor....I'm unsure of the riff played after the guys are recording vocals for Add Some Music to Your Day.

The other non-BB songs?:
-Geromino Leaps and Bounds over the glory of the Dustbowl (Alan Boyd, right?)
-Be My Baby-like track when Brian meets Spector (??)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1980 on: December 18, 2011, 04:54:49 PM »

So what's the question here?
Obviously, "What comes on after the Christmas lunch". There's no question mark but it is in fact a question, and, fitting to this thread, is quite insignificant. Smiley

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1981 on: December 19, 2011, 01:51:40 AM »

Can we make a definative list of songs/riffs/vocals that were recorded specifically for the BB An American Family mini-series?

I'm guessing Brian recorded vocals for In My Room and I Get Around in 98/99?
Did he record the piano riffs? I wanna say the WIth Me Tonight riff is played during the Pet SOunds era, Shortenin' Bread riff is playing when Marilyn is in labor....I'm unsure of the riff played after the guys are recording vocals for Add Some Music to Your Day.

The other non-BB songs?:
-Geromino Leaps and Bounds over the glory of the Dustbowl (Alan Boyd, right?)
-Be My Baby-like track when Brian meets Spector (??)

Ah, this takes me back to the days when Bobby California/Walfisch was being a complete dick on both the Bloo and Ego (no mean achievement, come to think of it !): he was insisting that it was an unreleased Spector fragment, and vanished in a puff of exasperated smoke when several of us got in touch with the person who actually did compose it, specifically for the project and proved him to be... well, a dick. Happy days.  Grin

"Geronimo Leaps" was Boyd (words) and Gary Griffin (music). I'm told a full version has been recorded. Love to hear that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: December 21, 2011, 12:51:13 AM »

In the liner notes of the Pacific Ocean Blue/Bambu set, it says that the mix of POB was kept as it was on the original lp, except for a "surprise". What is this "surprise"? Is it the part in Thought Of You that suddenly gets louder? I've never heard any other version of POB besides the deluxe set, so I don't know what the original would have sounded like.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: December 22, 2011, 12:54:01 PM »

Is there any truth to my notion that Bob Dylan's Rainy day women influenced the use of horns, trumpets and strings on Smile (as well as on Beatles Yellow Submarine)?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: December 23, 2011, 03:10:39 AM »

When was the last time Al sang lead on "Don't Worry Baby"?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: December 25, 2011, 12:29:02 AM »

"You've Been So Good to Me" on the Cocaine Sessions sounds really similar to another song (especially the version without vocals), but I can't put my finger on it. Did this get turned into a Brian solo song?

A large part of it seems like it evolved into "Love Ya" from Sweet Insanity (complete with the heehee, heehee bits).
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: December 29, 2011, 04:20:05 AM »

Does anybody know the exact places where the BB's lived when they were living in Holland?

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: December 30, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »

I know this will have come up many a time in the past but could someone explain to me the projects that the band/BW were involved with in the mid-to-late 90's? I get confused by all the names and dates and reading them on the internet makes my brain ache.

I'm talking the Wilson/Paley, Don Was sessions stuff plus the Sean O'Hagan/V2 album and where Stars and Stripes fits into the equation. I often get confused between the project that Carl walked out of and assume it's the ill-fated O'Hagan stuff, someone set me straight.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: December 30, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »

I know this will have come up many a time in the past but could someone explain to me the projects that the band/BW were involved with in the mid-to-late 90's? I get confused by all the names and dates and reading them on the internet makes my brain ache.

I'm talking the Wilson/Paley, Don Was sessions stuff plus the Sean O'Hagan/V2 album and where Stars and Stripes fits into the equation. I often get confused between the project that Carl walked out of and assume it's the ill-fated O'Hagan stuff, someone set me straight.

AGD--correct me if I am mistaken.  Here is my best recollection of the time in question as I remember it unfolding.  O'hagan was suggested as a potential producer for the band and was brought in by Bruce Johnston to meet with the Boys, perhaps it was only Mike and Brian. If memory serves, neither got a good feeling to say the least. O'hagan never actually worked with or produced anything with Brian or the band. At around the same time (1995) Don Was was working with Brian  on the IJWMFTT documentary and soundtrack.  I believe they even played a few shows together (the China Club in LA for one).  Brian asked Don if he would approach the band about producing an album for them. Was did approach the group, which I believe occurred  at a BB concert at Jack Murphy stadium in San Diego.  The reception was apparently lukewarm. Sometime in 1995 ( I believe late spring/early summer) Brian and Mike wrote  a song together which they recorded with Carl at Mark Linnett's studio.  This was presented to the TV show Baywatch Nights for consideration as the theme song but was not chosen.  In the Fall of 1995 (I believe that is right) Virgin records approached the group with an offer to record an album for their new V2 label, the stipulation being that Brian be involved in the project. There MAY have also been a suggestion (or at least a request) that Brian and Mike collaborate on some of the material, which I take from a quote from Bruce Johnston after the deal fell apart . Recording began with Don Was producing.  From these sessions came the BB versions of Soul Searchin' and You're Still a Mystery. These are the sessions that Carl "walked out on" or so the legend goes. Rather than continue work on this album at that time, the band decided to go forth with the Stars and Stripes project in early 1996.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 01:25:58 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: December 30, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »

Very much appreciated southbay Smiley Makes much more sense to me now.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1990 on: December 30, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »

AGD--correct me if I am mistaken.  Here is my best recollection of the time in question as I remember it unfolding.  O'hagan was suggested as a potential producer for the band and was brought in by Bruce Johnston to meet with the Boys, perhaps it was only Mike and Brian. If memory serves, neither got a good feeling to say the least. O'hagan never actually worked with or produced anything with Brian or the band. At around the same time (1995) Don Was was working with Brian  on the IJWMFTT documentary and soundtrack.  I believe they even played a few shows together (the China Club in LA for one).  Brian asked Don if he would approach the band about producing an album for them. Was did approach the group, which I believe occurred  at a BB concert at Jack Murphy stadium in San Diego.  The reception was apparently lukewarm. Sometime in 1995 ( I believe late spring/early summer) Brian and Mike wrote  a song together which they recorded with Carl at Mark Linnett's studio.  This was presented to the TV show Baywatch Nights for consideration as the theme song but was not chosen.  In the Fall of 1995 (I believe that is right) Virgin records approached the group with an offer to record an album for their new V2 label, the stipulation being that Brian be involved in the project. There MAY have also been a suggestion (or at least a request) that Brian and Mike collaborate on some of the material, which I take from a quote from Bruce Johnston after the deal fell apart . Recording began with Don Was producing.  From these sessions came the BB versions of Soul Searchin' and You're Still a Mystery. These are the sessions that Carl "walked out on" or so the legend goes. Rather than continue work on this album at that time, the band decided to go forth with the Stars and Stripes project in early 1996.

Pretty much as it was, all I can add is that Brian's management thought he was better served by recording a solo album than work with the BB, so they pulled him out. The session dates are on 10452, btw.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1991 on: December 30, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »

Does anybody know the exact places where the BB's lived when they were living in Holland?

Sure: Dennis camped out in the Canary Islands. As for the others:

Carl and Blondie in Hilversum
Brian in Laren
Ricky in Vreeland
Mike and Al in Bloemendaal
Jack in Amsterdam

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: December 30, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »

Pretty much as it was, all I can add is that Brian's management thought he was better served by recording a solo album than work with the BB, so they pulled him out. The session dates are on 10452, btw.
Thanks AGD, 10452 was naturally my first stop. My mind is at ease.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: December 30, 2011, 03:49:32 PM »

Sure: Dennis camped out in the Canary Islands. As for the others:

Carl and Blondie in Hilversum
Brian in Laren
Ricky in Vreeland
Mike and Al in Bloemendaal
Jack in Amsterdam

And they recorded in a converted barn in Baambrugge.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:57:01 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1994 on: December 30, 2011, 08:10:40 PM »

In the liner notes of the Pacific Ocean Blue/Bambu set, it says that the mix of POB was kept as it was on the original lp, except for a "surprise". What is this "surprise"? Is it the part in Thought Of You that suddenly gets louder? I've never heard any other version of POB besides the deluxe set, so I don't know what the original would have sounded like.

That's  a good question, Jay. Anybody know?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: December 30, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »

That's  a good question, Jay. Anybody know?

I always thought the "one overdubbed suprise..." was the version of Holy Man, with vocals by Taylor H.  If you read back 5 or so sentences in that section, we're told how Jon Hanlon was haunted for 31 years by the unfinished Holy Man - rough mix, but no vocal track.
Would love to hear from those in the know!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: December 30, 2011, 11:01:50 PM »

So, does anyone know why the BB's, or their producers de jour, specifically choose "Here comes the Night" to rehash as a Disco number?

As opposed to "I'd love just once see you", "Wind Chimes" or a nice quiet song like "Deirdre"  LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1997 on: December 30, 2011, 11:16:54 PM »

As opposed to "I'd love just once see you", "Wind Chimes" or a nice quiet song like "Deirdre"

If you've ever heard how bad the disco remake of Deirdre from Going Public was....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: December 30, 2011, 11:22:16 PM »

deirdre more like Rock!:         
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: December 30, 2011, 11:52:08 PM »

This surprised me and am now curious how or why this happened: I noticed on bellagio that Mike was apparently at the Friends of Chile benefit, a musical protest rally organised by Phil Ochs to decry Pinochet's coup and the murder of Victor Jara (also a personal friend of Ochs's, I believe).

So... what was Mike, of all people, doing there? I never got the impression he was much of a leftist at all, let alone a socialist! What's the story behind that?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx