gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:00:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1417723 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: September 14, 2011, 11:55:26 AM »

Why wasn't "sherry she needs me"  finished back in 1965?
During a vocal session, Mike cornered Russ Titelman and demanded to know the meaning of the line "Sherry she needs me and I think I need her too". Russ said it didn't mean anything and stormed off. Brian felt there was a lack of support coming from the project. also, it had always been Brian's dream to have an adult-contemporary sounding clarinet in the song, and the band was concerned that they'd never be able to pull it off live.

Champion post  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
egon spengler
« Reply #1876 on: September 14, 2011, 01:09:39 PM »

What's the story with the Light Album picture disc? I always assumed it was only released with the postcard-style cover, but just stumbled upon the other version.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: September 14, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »

Why wasn't "sherry she needs me"  finished back in 1965?
During a vocal session, Mike cornered Russ Titelman and demanded to know the meaning of the line "Sherry she needs me and I think I need her too". Russ said it didn't mean anything and stormed off. Brian felt there was a lack of support coming from the project. also, it had always been Brian's dream to have an adult-contemporary sounding clarinet in the song, and the band was concerned that they'd never be able to pull it off live.

Champion post  Grin

Agreed, time for the "sherry she needs me" sessions, with special liner notes with Joe Thomas on how he got Brian to finish it for imagination. Grin
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:44:02 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1878 on: September 14, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »

What's the story with the Light Album picture disc? I always assumed it was only released with the postcard-style cover, but just stumbled upon the other version.

UK/Europe only pressing, I think.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ghost
« Reply #1879 on: September 14, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »

Dialing 409 for information robot AGD 9000
That's 409 for information robot AGD 9000
Do you read me?

i'm a gas man
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: September 15, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »

Why wasn't "sherry she needs me"  finished back in 1965?

Champion post  Grin

Agreed, time for the "sherry she needs me" sessions, with special liner notes with Joe Thomas on how he got Brian to finish it for imagination. Grin
Odd how there's sessions for this song all over the place...from mid 60s to mid 70s to late 80s to late 90s

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: September 17, 2011, 02:22:38 PM »

I know within the past month or so, I asked if anyone had an interest or if there's any way of making a "definitive album musicians/players thread" that would look much like the "definitive vocals thread." ....Well, I finally got my act together and started putting stuff together...The most help is from the the liners of 15 Big Ones, Pet Sounds, some of the BB 85 album, which specifically state who played what instrument on what song...if only the other albums did this...some of the album's liners notes do this to an extent...So, what I've got typed up already are the players for POB, Carl's first solo album, LA, MIU, which only state who played on the album, not on which song. I still have more to research ...but I'm hoping to have what albums I could find the musicians/arrangers by the end of next week...if there's anyone who has more info on these players or wants to submit some posts to the thread about these album players (especially the early albums!), you're more than welcome to throw me a line or help out...

also, I'm using Brad Elliot's Surf's  Up book which has some bits, pieces, odds, and ends.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: September 17, 2011, 03:08:54 PM »

I know within the past month or so, I asked if anyone had an interest or if there's any way of making a "definitive album musicians/players thread" that would look much like the "definitive vocals thread." ....Well, I finally got my act together and started putting stuff together...The most help is from the the liners of 15 Big Ones, Pet Sounds, some of the BB 85 album, which specifically state who played what instrument on what song...if only the other albums did this...some of the album's liners notes do this to an extent...So, what I've got typed up already are the players for POB, Carl's first solo album, LA, MIU, which only state who played on the album, not on which song. I still have more to research ...but I'm hoping to have what albums I could find the musicians/arrangers by the end of next week...if there's anyone who has more info on these players or wants to submit some posts to the thread about these album players (especially the early albums!), you're more than welcome to throw me a line or help out...

also, I'm using Brad Elliot's Surf's  Up book which has some bits, pieces, odds, and ends.
Does anyone know any other good sources (other books/liners/interviews) to find out this kind of info?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: September 17, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »

Does anyone know any other good sources (other books/liners/interviews) to find out this kind of info?

Session tapes would be a good bet, where we have them.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: September 18, 2011, 10:36:13 AM »

Does anyone know why Workshop was tacked onto the end of the album version of "Do it Again"?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: September 18, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »

Craig Slowinski's site has incredibly detailed session info for POB/Bambu, and for Beach Boys Today!
http://beachboysarchives.com/

My new book the Beach Boys FAQ has a good amount of session info for the '62 - '65 period, thanks to Craig. i would expect the new Smile box will have detailed session info too, thanks to Craig.

If anyone could create a definitive sessions book, or website, it would be Craig S. for sure. He's the best.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1886 on: September 18, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »

I would totally buy that book. And yours too.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1887 on: September 18, 2011, 01:34:23 PM »

Does anyone know why Workshop was tacked onto the end of the album version of "Do it Again"?
They had to put it somewhere...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
ghost
« Reply #1888 on: September 18, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »

I think the Workshop sounds are yet another crude sexual joke from The Beach Boys. Do It Again - workshop noises. Coming, the phallic nature of most tools and their use is obvious enough. 20/20 features The Charles Manson Family in orgy, let's not forget.
egon spengler
« Reply #1889 on: September 18, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »

and on a related note, do any boots have the workshop sounds completely isolated from the Friday Night track?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: September 19, 2011, 06:37:03 AM »

and on a related note, do any boots have the workshop sounds completely isolated from the Friday Night track?

I was thinking of that too. As far as I know, no. Maybe the box set will, who knows?
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 20, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »

I was thinking of that too. As far as I know, no. Maybe the box set will, who knows?

I don't know about boots but it's easy enough to do, if you open up the track (the stereo one on Project SMiLE) in an audio editor (such as Audacity) you can split the stereo track into two mono tracks, you then invert one of the tracks and that cancels out the Friday Night track which is in the middle and leaves the Workshop track which was on the right.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:09:27 AM by GuyOnTheBeach » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 20, 2011, 01:17:40 PM »

i read a long time ago that brian wilson paid a guy $100 to give him a handjob during the early 70s

is this true

i wouldn't be surprised if it was but i still think this it's too far even for brian
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 20, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »

I was that man.

ghost
« Reply #1894 on: September 20, 2011, 03:41:13 PM »

I was that man.

How was it?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 20, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »

It was hell down there. Shocked

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1896 on: September 20, 2011, 04:20:38 PM »

"You've Been So Good to Me" on the Cocaine Sessions sounds really similar to another song (especially the version without vocals), but I can't put my finger on it. Did this get turned into a Brian solo song?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 20, 2011, 06:57:32 PM »

"You've Been So Good to Me" on the Cocaine Sessions sounds really similar to another song (especially the version without vocals), but I can't put my finger on it. Did this get turned into a Brian solo song?
is that the one that sounds like This Isn't Love?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1898 on: September 23, 2011, 09:46:11 PM »

Okay, here's a new doesn't-deserve-its-own-thread....

What's with the comparisons between "Had To Phone Ya" and "Trombone Dixie"Huh I just...don't see it.

At least, answer me this: if I were to sing the lyrics to "Had To Phone Ya," where would the vocal come in, and what's the note on the word "had" at that point??

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: October 01, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »

i used to think about this and couldn't see it either...until i was listening to the tracking sessions on the PS boxed set...listen to the guitar (or whatever stringed instrument it is) and you'll hear it...that's how I heard it...for more fun and enjoyment, listen to American Spring's take of Had to Phone Ya...It's gotta be the Love You version with its farty synth

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx