gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681052 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 10:08:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416274 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: September 12, 2011, 08:55:38 AM »

While reading through my song files earlier, I found some items that raised a question.

One was on part of AGD's site for Unreleased albums...under the article for Remember the Zoo, it describes Tones and/or I'm in Great Shape as mutating into part of He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move...is that true? I was thinking it was I'm in Great Shape that is part of this pressumption...can anyone clear this up for me?

My other questions will have to be asked later, the kids just got in from recess  Wink
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:56:36 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1851 on: September 12, 2011, 08:56:18 AM »

Close-up of tape boxes.
I'm sorry, I wrote that wrong, I was referring to the 45 itself...the pics of the guys, i've never seen before

Show me the video, I'll 'have a butchers.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1852 on: September 12, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »

While reading through my song files earlier, I found some items that raised a question.

One was on part of AGD's site for Unreleased albums...under the article for Remember the Zoo, it describes Tones and/or I'm in Great Shape as mutating into part of He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move...is that true? I was thinking it was I'm in Great Shape that is part of this pressumption...can anyone clear this up for me?

My other questions will have to be asked later, the kids just got in from recess  Wink

No, not true... or to use the technical term - complete bollocks.  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: September 12, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »

Close-up of tape boxes.
I'm sorry, I wrote that wrong, I was referring to the 45 itself...the pics of the guys, i've never seen before

http://youtu.be/RrFeN16LZZ4

It's on the Wonderful; Carl, Dennis, and Mike are posed with a microphone...kinda looks Smile-esc

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: September 12, 2011, 09:47:45 AM »

Follow up question from a different list of songs...I have a list someone posted of 200 some songs that were submitted in 1999 to the Library Of Congress, by Alexander Morgan (I think)...All credited to Brian...some to Morgan, Landy, Jardine, Paley, Schaeffer, etc....
Anyways, my question is: there's a title called Spanish Girl, co-written with Schaeffer, I'm assuming Paul...would this have been an early version of TLOS' Mexican Girl?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: September 12, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »

Follow up question from a different list of songs...I have a list someone posted of 200 some songs that were submitted in 1999 to the Library Of Congress, by Alexander Morgan (I think)...All credited to Brian...some to Morgan, Landy, Jardine, Paley, Schaeffer, etc....
Anyways, my question is: there's a title called Spanish Girl, co-written with Schaeffer, I'm assuming Paul...would this have been an early version of TLOS' Mexican Girl?
From that list of songs, and on other sources, I always hear about Terri, She Needs Me, which I assume was for BW 88, was the same backing track for Sherri She Needs Me, used for this? or was a completely new track made?
While we're on the subject of that song...I have an instrumental cut of She Says that She Needs Me on the Dumb Angel Rarities (the Brian solo disc), which sounds quite different from the track on the Imagination album, what's the deal? Was it an early instrumental track? While the released version has a prominent clarient line throughout, the instrumental cut has a prominent sax part....anyone have info on this?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: September 12, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »

Without it to hand, I'd say they were Guy Webster SMiLE era shots - They look similar to the H&V cover or booklet photos, but I'm going on memory here.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: September 12, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »

As the song: Wonderin' what You're Up to Tonight also comes from this song list, (as it became California Role), thought maybe there was more than one borrowing from this era.  Roll Eyes

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: September 12, 2011, 10:36:52 AM »

I have a list someone posted of 200 some songs that were submitted in 1999 to the Library Of Congress, by Alexander Morgan (I think)...All credited to Brian...some to Morgan, Landy, Jardine, Paley, Schaeffer, etc....

Alexandra Morgan...she was Landy's wife or common-law wife, and she wrote lyrics to a bunch of stuff with Brian.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: September 12, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »

I have a list someone posted of 200 some songs that were submitted in 1999 to the Library Of Congress, by Alexander Morgan (I think)...All credited to Brian...some to Morgan, Landy, Jardine, Paley, Schaeffer, etc....

Alexandra Morgan...she was Landy's wife or common-law wife, and she wrote lyrics to a bunch of stuff with Brian.
right right

~post of the century~
-Mikie

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1860 on: September 12, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »

Or might "Mexican Girl" have been originally a long-lost missing piece of "Heroes And Villains," the Mexican girl being...Margarita?? OOOoooooooooooh, the can of worms just opens on that one!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1861 on: September 12, 2011, 02:41:16 PM »

Or might "Mexican Girl" have been originally a long-lost missing piece of "Heroes And Villains," the Mexican girl being...Margarita?? OOOoooooooooooh, the can of worms just opens on that one!

Orrrrrrrrrrrr... maybe "Mexican Girl" was written from scratch in summer 2006, as Scotty told me when I interviewed him.  Grin

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1862 on: September 12, 2011, 02:42:19 PM »

D'oh!!!

Okay, okay...then maybe "Oh Mi Amor" was a long-lost missing piece of "Heroes And Villains."  Grin

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: September 12, 2011, 07:33:15 PM »

Orrrrrrrrrrrr... maybe "Mexican Girl" was written from scratch in summer 2006, as Scotty told me when I interviewed him.  Grin
Really? Can I read this interview and any other interviews you've done over the years somewhere?

Perhaps a new section of your site could be opened for this?  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: September 13, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »

Enjoyed the discussion on the GV video location and the then and now shots of the location for the shoot.

Wondering where the Sloop John B promo was filmed and if that location can be found?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: September 13, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »

Am probably wrong, but that looks like one of their houses. Brian's, maybe?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: September 13, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »

AGD, can you ask swwt for us?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: September 13, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »

I tried this a few days ago, but I don't think many people saw it. Sorry to bring this up again, I'm just really curios.  Grin During the fade of the song It's Getting Late, does Carl mess up the words? He sings "You got me", but then immediately stops, and you hear the backing vocals for the rest of the fade. It's just always sounded odd to me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1868 on: September 13, 2011, 10:17:28 PM »

AGD, can you ask swwt for us?

Not sure I need to - wasn't it established that it was the Laurel Way house a while back ?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: September 14, 2011, 12:54:35 AM »

Had a look on google earth but pool a completely different shape and location. Not a surprise after 45 years I suppose!

Thanks anyway.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1870 on: September 14, 2011, 08:11:25 AM »

Had a look on google earth but pool a completely different shape and location. Not a surprise after 45 years I suppose!

Thanks anyway.

Haha, me too! I had a peek at it when looking up the GV film places as well. It really doesn't feel like 45 years ago, but the way some homeowners are obsessed with remodeling and reworking their homes on a regular basis, it's amazing part of the house even looks close to how it did in '66.

Speaking of '66, isn't there a photo to be included in the Smile box of Brian standing in his garage at that house next to a Corvette?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: September 14, 2011, 08:43:51 AM »

Why wasn't "sherry she needs me"  finished back in 1965?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:48:08 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: September 14, 2011, 09:15:45 AM »

Close-up of tape boxes.

http://youtu.be/RrFeN16LZZ4

It's on the Wonderful; Carl, Dennis, and Mike are posed with a microphone...kinda looks Smile-esc

I think your looking for this (I still find t amusing that the videos pople use are mine!). Right click and view image for larger scale

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1873 on: September 14, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »

During a vocal session, Mike cornered Russ Titelman and demanded to know the meaning of the line "Sherry she needs me and I think I need her too". Russ said it didn't mean anything and stormed off. Brian felt there was a lack of support coming from the project. also, it had always been Brian's dream to have an adult-contemporary sounding clarinet in the song, and the band was concerned that they'd never be able to pull it off live.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
ghost
« Reply #1874 on: September 14, 2011, 11:43:49 AM »

During a vocal session, Mike cornered Russ Titelman and demanded to know the meaning of the line "Sherry she needs me and I think I need her too". Russ said it didn't mean anything and stormed off. Brian felt there was a lack of support coming from the project. also, it had always been Brian's dream to have an adult-contemporary sounding clarinet in the song, and the band was concerned that they'd never be able to pull it off live.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx