gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681110 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 09:20:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1417775 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: July 13, 2011, 08:13:36 PM »

I suppose this isn't really a question, more like a matter of opinion. Is it just me, or should Getcha Back have been the group's big "comeback hit", ala 1980's Chicago?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1651 on: July 14, 2011, 03:34:42 AM »

Just discovered this - I kind of like Mike's reaction to Bruce stating Pet Sounds was the best Beach Boys album...  Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDE-NrZsMq0&feature=related

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: July 14, 2011, 04:00:05 AM »

That's COLD  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1653 on: July 14, 2011, 04:36:08 AM »

Lets vote, who thinks Mike should start dressing like this again, and grow the beard back.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: July 14, 2011, 04:50:25 AM »

You have my wholehearted support, sir.   Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 14, 2011, 06:19:46 AM »

Just discovered this - I kind of like Mike's reaction to Bruce stating Pet Sounds was the best Beach Boys album...  Cheesy

Man that's funny...now where's oldsurferdude??  Head Spin

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: July 14, 2011, 01:12:37 PM »

Lets vote, who thinks Mike should start dressing like this again, and grow the beard back.

Trade the robes for the sparkly gold vest and you've got yourself a deal.

No mas, por favor.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: July 14, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »

Bruce: Pet Sounds! The best Beach Boys album!

Mike: Oh well....

GREAT!!  LOL

Bruce also is very funny here.. nice comical chemistry he got going with Mike.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1658 on: July 14, 2011, 11:35:22 PM »

GREAT!!  LOL

It's rather:

Mike (rolling his eyes): Oh well...  Evil

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1659 on: July 15, 2011, 02:23:09 AM »

GREAT!!  LOL

It's rather:

Then fast forward 27 years to the Pet Sounds boxset foreword, and all of a sudden Mike agrees with Bruce.

I think Mike's contribution to the SMiLE set's literature will be the highlight of the box!
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: July 15, 2011, 02:33:45 AM »

GREAT!!  LOL

It's rather:

Then fast forward 27 years to the Pet Sounds boxset foreword, and all of a sudden Mike agrees with Bruce.

I think Mike's contribution to the SMiLE set's literature will be the highlight of the box!

"27 years" and "all of a sudden" seem to cancel each other out. But Mike and Bruce do have a playful chemistry don't they?  Tongue
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: July 15, 2011, 07:05:36 AM »

So we all know how Brian Wilson was famously really into certain musicians, most obviously Spector but also Randy Newman and maybe Fleetwood Mac to comparatively lesser extents. Who were/are some musicians that famously had an infatuation with Brian's music and his mythos, and what if any was Brian's reaction? I've heard Roy Wood is such a fan of Brian's, although I'm not sure how true it is (rather, or if he's merely heavily influenced by him, if such a difference is appreciable) as I don't really know his music at all. Any others?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1662 on: July 15, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

GREAT!!  LOL

It's rather:

Hey, I got it now: When Mike rolled his eyes and said "Oh well", he thought: "Not half as good as SMiLE would have been!"  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1663 on: July 15, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »

So we all know how Brian Wilson was famously really into certain musicians, most obviously Spector but also Randy Newman and maybe Fleetwood Mac to comparatively lesser extents. Who were/are some musicians that famously had an infatuation with Brian's music and his mythos, and what if any was Brian's reaction? I've heard Roy Wood is such a fan of Brian's, although I'm not sure how true it is (rather, or if he's merely heavily influenced by him, if such a difference is appreciable) as I don't really know his music at all. Any others?

Seeing as Roy leapt at the chance to play with Brian when asked back in fall 1974, I'd say he's a big fan.

I hear one James Paul McCartney has expressed a mild liking for Brian's music in the past. R. K. Dwight as well.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1664 on: July 15, 2011, 04:28:41 PM »

Seeing as Roy leapt at the chance to play with Brian when asked back in fall 1974, I'd say he's a big fan.

I hear one James Dirk McQuickly has expressed a mild liking for Brian's music in the past. R. K. Dwight as well.

Dirk had his name changed to Dirk James McQuickly in the 1970's. And what the fuuck is up with this censorship???!!  Huh
oldsurferdude
« Reply #1665 on: July 15, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »

Man that's funny...now where's oldsurferdude??  Head Spin
You heard the man-  "...don't feed the troll." Razz
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: July 15, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »

I don't think Mike's comment meant anything other than to demonstrate his uncontrollable need to provide a "witty" comeback to anything and everything anyone says onstage.

He appreciates Pet Sounds in his own way and probably even more (and in some ways less) than us.

The guy also has the right to his opinion. He's lives in America, right?

OMG, have I become the Mike-apologist version of oldsurferdude?Huh?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:32:01 PM by Erik H » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1667 on: July 16, 2011, 12:35:55 AM »

I hear one James Dirk McQuickly has expressed a mild liking for Brian's music in the past. R. K. Dwight as well.

Dirk had his name changed to Dirk James McQuickly in the 1970's. And what the fuuck is up with this censorship???!!  Huh

Yeah - really juvenile, and it would have been nice to have been told, or even  asked, first. The word 'moderator' doesn't, last time I looked, mean 'imposes unilaterally'. But it's fixed now.

Paulos
« Reply #1668 on: July 16, 2011, 01:56:15 AM »

I finally managed to find and download Runaway (Live 1981) - it sounds almost too good, does anyone know if any studio manipulation occured after recording? Also, was it common for the Boys to cover this song live in the early 80's?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1669 on: July 16, 2011, 02:10:38 AM »

I finally managed to find and download Runaway (Live 1981) - it sounds almost too good, does anyone know if any studio manipulation occured after recording? Also, was it common for the Boys to cover this song live in the early 80's?

Oh, yes, it was heavily sweetened in the studio (Rumbo, probably August 1982): the original recording was June 11 1982 in Cleveland. it was a semi-staple during the early 80s.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: July 16, 2011, 02:47:15 AM »

It has been mentioned before that basically everything but Carl's guitar(I think?) from the Knebworth 1980 show was overdubbed in the studio. Does that include drums? I was wondering if Dennis overdubbed the drums, or if somebody else did. When we see Dennis playing from the show, is it also his drumming that we're hearing? What about the 4th of July HBO special?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Paulos
« Reply #1671 on: July 16, 2011, 02:56:35 AM »

Thanks Andrew, that explains why it sounds so good! Strange that it was recorded in 1982 but i've seen it billed as live 1981? I can't find a  good enough picture of the back cover of 25 Years of Good Vibrations to confirm.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1672 on: July 16, 2011, 03:18:36 AM »

Thanks Andrew, that explains why it sounds so good! Strange that it was recorded in 1982 but i've seen it billed as live 1981? I can't find a  good enough picture of the back cover of 25 Years of Good Vibrations to confirm.

Not billed as 1981 on the back of the Sunkist album.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: July 16, 2011, 07:24:42 AM »

check your pm   Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1674 on: July 16, 2011, 11:11:35 AM »

Purely hypothetical, but fun nonetheless.

People often wonder what would have happened (to the BB's and music in general) if SMiLE had been released.

But how would the BB's have followed SMiLE had it been released and met with the success we would have hoped?

Musically, I imagine a direction much like what actually happened at first. Brian is fried after finishing SMiLE, and decides to record a stripped down, back-to -basics album.  This album, contains many songs like you would find on the Wild Honey LP, but they have the sound and sophistication of Can't Wait Too Long.

I also imagine Dennis coming into his own as a songwriter, but due to the BB's continuing success he is able to find a market for his music. As a result he does not travel down the self destructive route that he did in reality, (though he and Brian still enjoy the odd spliffty well into their 70's)

Brother Records works as planned, and many new acts are discovered. Brian successfully captains Redwood to the top.

Several innovative albums follow for the Beach Boys, but due to artistic differences they split up in the early seventies, and the three Wilsons go on to have illustrious careeres as composers and producers, and Mike, Al and Bruce have happy careers living off of past glories.

The Peedles on the other hand are still touring as a pale imitation of themselves well into the 21st century, though still enjoy a cult following especially amonght sad individuals on the internet with nothing better to do than imagine "what if........."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:12:33 AM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx