gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681107 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 06:29:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1417759 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1275 on: March 28, 2011, 01:26:26 AM »

Question:
Were the Wilsons still at the Hawthorne house during the later part of 1963?  

Which Wilsons ?  They'd all moved out by December 1964. Brian moved out late 1962/early 1963.

Murry and Audree.  

Pretty sure they were still there: I'll check.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 28, 2011, 07:40:33 AM »

Question:
Were the Wilsons still at the Hawthorne house during the later part of 1963?  

Which Wilsons ?  They'd all moved out by December 1964. Brian moved out late 1962/early 1963.

Murry and Audree.  

Pretty sure they were still there: I'll check.

Thank you.    Smiley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 29, 2011, 11:19:52 AM »

The earliest copy of Pacific Ocean Blue I had gotten from a friend online, from the Bloo (many years ago, when it was Blue) had some bonus tracks I'd never seen on any other raritiy package. It had the typical POB backing track (bad quality) that's on a lot of Denny/Rarity packs. It also had the "early cut" of the River Song, and I assume it's not the one with the Beach Boys (which I think is still being hunted down); but that appears on a lot of Denny/Rarity packages....What I'm really wondering about is the backing tracks I have for Time and Rainbows....and I think the End of Show (backing track) is on there as well....I have never seen these on any other raritiy packs...where's the rest of backing tracks? That's what i wanna know...What's Wrong, You and I, & Moonshine being the ones I'd really want.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 29, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »

The earliest copy of Pacific Ocean Blue I had gotten from a friend online, from the Bloo (many years ago, when it was Blue) had some bonus tracks I'd never seen on any other raritiy package. It had the typical POB backing track (bad quality) that's on a lot of Denny/Rarity packs. It also had the "early cut" of the River Song, and I assume it's not the one with the Beach Boys (which I think is still being hunted down); but that appears on a lot of Denny/Rarity packages....What I'm really wondering about is the backing tracks I have for Time and Rainbows....and I think the End of Show (backing track) is on there as well....I have never seen these on any other raritiy packs...where's the rest of backing tracks? That's what i wanna know...What's Wrong, You and I, & Moonshine being the ones I'd really want.

*It may have been Farewell my Friend (backing track) instead of End Of the Show (backing track).

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 01, 2011, 04:15:09 PM »

This is probably a weird question, but what the heck... 

Does anyone know, or can direct me, to a place that has the original lyrics for "He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body To Move?"  On the version I have, the quality is pretty poor, so I can't really hear the words too well.  But from what I have heard, I love them, and thought of doing a cover version of it, so if anyone can help out with this, that'd be great.  Thanks! 
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 01, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »

Try this: http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/lb/guest/hecouldntget.html

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: April 02, 2011, 01:07:50 AM »

Thanks, though the lyrics I'm looking for are different.  The version I have is on the Sessions Volume 3 bootleg.  Brian starts out singing something like: "Now vitamins and minerals weren't enough.  We didn't have... ??... on healthy stuff..." 
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 02, 2011, 04:08:23 AM »

Thanks, though the lyrics I'm looking for are different.  The version I have is on the Sessions Volume 3 bootleg.  Brian starts out singing something like: "Now vitamins and minerals weren't enough.  We didn't have... ??... on healthy stuff..." 

Oops, my bad. You're right, the lyrics are difficult to decipher!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: April 02, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »

Which songs did Al Jardine write or co-write? I'm aware of California from Holland, Take A Load off Your Feet, Lookin At Tomorrow, At My Window but I must be missing a few. Anyone know off the top of their heads? I'm interested in the period up to about 15 Big Ones.

Thanks in advance.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1284 on: April 02, 2011, 01:38:30 PM »

Which songs did Al Jardine write or co-write? I'm aware of California from Holland, Take A Load off Your Feet, Lookin At Tomorrow, At My Window but I must be missing a few. Anyone know off the top of their heads? I'm interested in the period up to about 15 Big Ones.

Thanks in advance.

Bellagio 10452 album archive

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 02, 2011, 03:08:44 PM »

Thanks in advance.

I think we need a rolling compendium of Al Jardine plagiarism....

California - Bassline from California Girls, 'Cool cool water' lines somewhat reminscent of, well, Cool Cool Water.
At My Window - Hook lifted wholesale from Kingston Trio's Raspberries, Strawberries.
Lookin' At Tomorrow - Apparently v reminscent of a Kingston Trio tune as well, although the name escapes me.
A lot of Cotton Fields lines actually might be original... Listening to Leadbelly's version, the verses are completely different.
Don't Go Near The Water nicks the Heroes riff.
Susie Cincinatti bears a strong resemblance to Little Ol' Lady From Pasadena.

Must be loads more, right?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 02, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »

Thanks in advance.

Bellagio 10452 album archive

Don't know why that didn't occur to me. Thanks andrew - perfect.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 02, 2011, 04:13:21 PM »

California - Bassline from California Girls, 'Cool cool water' lines somewhat reminscent of, well, Cool Cool Water.

By that logic, you can argue that Brian lifted the bass line for California Girls from a great number of blues songs. It's not that original a riff.

A lot of Cotton Fields lines actually might be original... Listening to Leadbelly's version, the verses are completely different.

Good point. That said, there are some aspects of Al's arrangement that just sound like polished versions of Brian's. The echo-drenched intro, some of the backing vocals and guitars, and the horns sound pretty similar to me.

Really? Which part? The piano is played similarly, but I'd hardly call that lifting.

Again, don't hear too many similarities. Unless I'm daft, which I'm not ruling out. Elaborate?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: April 03, 2011, 02:06:26 AM »

By that logic, you can argue that Brian lifted the bass line for California Girls from a great number of blues songs. It's not that original a riff.

Good point. That said, there are some aspects of Al's arrangement that just sound like polished versions of Brian's. The echo-drenched intro, some of the backing vocals and guitars, and the horns sound pretty similar to me.

Really? Which part? The piano is played similarly, but I'd hardly call that lifting.

Again, don't hear too many similarities. Unless I'm daft, which I'm not ruling out. Elaborate?

Susie Cincinatti - Song about little old lady who drives fast... It has the distinct air of a rewrite to me - all the same tricks are there, just a tiny bit different. vocal melody, backing vox, that sort of thing.

I think re: California (Girls) and Don't Go Near The Water, the fact that he's lifting from his own band muddies the issue. The fact that Al sat down and wrote a song called California with that bassline is either some kind of self referencing or just laziness. Not so sure about DGNTW, it is tenous, but then again he KNOWS where he's heard that riff before... which is different than, say, George Harrison and He's So Fine.

I only listened to that dreck once, but doesn't Postcard From California bear a pisstakingly strong resemblance to Rhinestone Cowboy? It does to my ears....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 03, 2011, 02:26:51 AM »

Did the group get bad press during of after the 1981 tour like they did in Australia in 1978?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: April 03, 2011, 08:31:13 AM »

I only listened to that dreck once, but doesn't Postcard From California bear a pisstakingly strong resemblance to Rhinestone Cowboy? It does to my ears....

Not just Rhinestone Cowboy, but also elements of Sloop John B and Hotel California to my ears.

“We live in divisive times.”
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 03, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »

I think re: California (Girls) and Don't Go Near The Water, the fact that he's lifting from his own band muddies the issue. The fact that Al sat down and wrote a song called California with that bassline is either some kind of self referencing or just laziness.

Fair enough. And I believe there's a thread somewhere about DGNTW w/r/t its Smile-ness -- ultimately, probably just more a stylistic thing and not a lift of any specific musical parts.

Whoa. Definitely.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 03, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »

I wouldn't say the California Saga/California bassline is lifted from California Girls. Yes, it is the same root-fifth-sixth-fifth pattern, but that is an extremely common pattern, certainly not invented for California Girls. (Think "cowboy songs.") The chord pattern of California is also not the same, even though the bass is. In California Girls, you have the interesting shift from B to A while the pattern continues as if over the B. Only then does it go to the more traditional IV and V chords. In California, it's just the standard I-IV-V both in the bass and the rest of the instrumentation. That said, Al wasn't exactly creating something anew. He's definitely not the most original composer or arranger. But that's ok. It's just pop--I like a lot of Al's songs, even if the over-referencing of him and Mike tends to grate on me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1293 on: April 03, 2011, 11:23:26 AM »

Whoa. Definitely.

Oh to have been a fly on the wall when Alan played Glen the track for the first time.  Grin

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 03, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »

I wouldn't say the California Saga/California bassline is lifted from California Girls. Yes, it is the same root-fifth-sixth-fifth pattern, but that is an extremely common pattern, certainly not invented for California Girls. (Think "cowboy songs.") The chord pattern of California is also not the same, even though the bass is. In California Girls, you have the interesting shift from B to A while the pattern continues as if over the B. Only then does it go to the more traditional IV and V chords. In California, it's just the standard I-IV-V both in the bass and the rest of the instrumentation. That said, Al wasn't exactly creating something anew. He's definitely not the most original composer or arranger. But that's ok. It's just pop--I like a lot of Al's songs, even if the over-referencing of him and Mike tends to grate on me.

That's true - California Girls is hardly Brian's most complex. Although I tend not to listen to many cowboy songs (a character flaw I intend to sort out) and thus hear California Girls more in that bass. I still maintain that if you're going to go for recognisable riffs, maybe you shouldn't try and do one your own band already used on one of their biggest hits.

Whaddya mean the 'over-referencing'?

Oh to have been a fly on the wall when Alan played Glen the track for the first time.  Grin

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery  Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 03, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »

Whaddya mean the 'over-referencing'?

I should clarify to say "over-self referencing," the dictionary definition of which reads "See: Mike Love, 1969-Present."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 03, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »

Got ya  Grin

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 09, 2011, 09:10:08 PM »

On BWPS Surf's Up, is it Brian doing the falsetto "a children's song", or Jeffrey Foskett? I've heard people say both.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 09, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »

On BWPS Surf's Up, is it Brian doing the falsetto "a children's song", or Jeffrey Foskett? I've heard people say both.
To my ears, it's Brian doing it very well...maybe a bit of support from Jeff but it has (to me anyway), a Wilsonian tinge to it.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 09, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »

Why haven't the full setlist shows in Sacramento that was recorded for the BB Concert album been released on a rarities compilation yet?
Heck, I'd like to hear the songs that were supposed to have been "doctored" before they were even touched....and really, all I know of is Fun Fun Fun's doctored (instrumentally, guitar work) and I get Around (vocal work---I THINK).  Anyone know any others that were worked on?

Songs I'm surprised that haven't been released yet from that concert, unless somebody knows something I don't about:
Little Honda
Hushabye (released on the GV boxed set?)
Don't Back Down
Surfer Girl (GV Box set?)
Be True To Your School (Boxsxet?)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx