gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 07:05:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW's "Let's Do it Again"  (Read 4906 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2014, 12:40:36 PM »

Does anyone have any further info on this BW solo track?
It's from the Usher period, right? I'm assuming it was recorded at the same time as "Heavenly Bodies", etc?

I think it's one of his best 80s tunes, and very surprising that this tune hasn't been re-recorded (or even released as-is).
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »

Does anyone have any further info on this BW solo track?
It's from the Usher period, right? I'm assuming it was recorded at the same time as "Heavenly Bodies", etc?

I think it's one of his best 80s tunes, and very surprising that this tune hasn't been re-recorded (or even released as-is).
I think this was actually going to be on the BW88 album before getting nixt. I believe it's a rerecording of Black Widow from the Usher sessions. I'm in the middle of the Wilson project book right now but haven't seen anything about this song yet.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:11:57 PM »

Was going to be on the 1988 album (and indeed was on some pre-promo cassettes) then was going to be the B side of " Melt Away"... and yes, a revision of "Black Widow".

Recorded between June 8-14 and 15-21 in NYC, September 16 in LA, also November 18 & 19, all 1987.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »

Was going to be on the 1988 album (and indeed was on some pre-promo cassettes) then was going to be the B side of " Melt Away"... and yes, a revision of "Black Widow".

Recorded between June 8-14 and 15-21 in NYC, September 16 in LA, also November 18 & 19, all 1987.

Very cool. Since it made it out to some pre-promo cassettes, I would like to think and wish and hope and pray that a decent-ish quality copy of it is floating around somewhere... Wonder why it got cut from both the album and as a B-side.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:20:48 AM »

Did another song replace this, or was it going to be an additional track on the album?  Any idea why it was nixed?
Jason
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »

It's not a bad song. I'd like to see it get an official release one day, but I doubt it'll happen. The original 1983 demo of Black Widow is one of the best things Brian ever did in the 1980s.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:20:08 AM »

It's not a bad song. I'd like to see it get an official release one day, but I doubt it'll happen. The original 1983 demo of Black Widow is one of the best things Brian ever did in the 1980s.

What really needs to happen is a MIC-style box set for Brian's solo material, of which there are tons upon tons of unreleased outtakes. I'd be very surprised if a BW solo box didn't see official release at some point (even if digital-only), though it may be years before that happens. I don't see that not happening. Since this track *almost* saw release a couple of times, I'd venture to say that it will come out eventually. It's certainly top-shelf in the unreleased BW solo cannon, IMO.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:46:08 AM »

What really needs to happen is a MIC-style box set for Brian's solo material, of which there are tons upon tons of unreleased outtakes. I'd be very surprised if a BW solo box didn't see official release at some point (even if digital-only), though it may be years before that happens. I don't see that not happening. Since this track *almost* saw release a couple of times, I'd venture to say that it will come out eventually. It's certainly top-shelf in the unreleased BW solo cannon, IMO.

I would love a BW solo box with unreleased material, but I don't know if it would be a big seller. How many people are really big enough fans of solo Brian to buy a box set? I hate to say it, but maybe after Brian's death and everyone realizes his significance...
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 07:28:19 AM »

I would love a BW solo box with unreleased material, but I don't know if it would be a big seller. How many people are really big enough fans of solo Brian to buy a box set? I hate to say it, but maybe after Brian's death and everyone realizes his significance...

I doubt we will ever get a BW solo box (for the reason you mention, Amy), but I hope for some previously unreleased tracks on the Love and Mercy soundtrack, or maybe on a "Best of BW" CD to coincide with the movie.
Pim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »

I'd love to have a BW-cd which just compiles all the various b-sides and bonustracks released through the years - tracks like Message Man, Believe In Yourself, Let's Go To Heaven In My Car, Listen To Me etc. etc. Even though some of the songs may be throwaways it would be great to have them officially compiled on a CD or a set of cd's instead of just having digital versions of them.

Also - it's a shame there isn't a "Back To Mono"-type of box including all of the productions Brian did in the 60's and 70's. Would make an awesome collection!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »

I'd love to have a BW-cd which just compiles all the various b-sides and bonustracks released through the years - tracks like Message Man, Believe In Yourself, Let's Go To Heaven In My Car, Listen To Me etc. etc. Even though some of the songs may be throwaways it would be great to have them officially compiled on a CD or a set of cd's instead of just having digital versions of them.

Also - it's a shame there isn't a "Back To Mono"-type of box including all of the productions Brian did in the 60's and 70's. Would make an awesome collection!
Good call! I love both your ideas! We need all those single mix/b-side/bonus tracks all in one place. And I've been wanting a Pet Projectw Vol 2 and 3 forever. There's a lot of items from mid to late sixties of his side productions that I've never heard like the Ron Wilson single and the (I think it was called) Bob and Bobby- Twelve
O Four single and other various goodies.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 10:43:56 AM »

I hate to say it too, but I think that's the most likely possibility... years from now (hopefully many).
Pim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:53:26 AM »

The drummer from Queen recently released a 12-CD/1-DVD box and it was sold out almost instantly. I'm sure if something like that can sell, a Brian Wilson boxset will sell as well..?
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »

A B.W box..?!   EVERYONE here would buy it.

Did everyone here buy MIC?  Me a (Avid) Fan since 1981 and I did not purchase MIC.

But B.Widow/LDIA, DTOPE,...  Magic Lanterns, In the wink of an eye, Elbow, So Long............  Love You demo's....?!     C'mon gimme gimme... 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »

What's amazing is that, even with all the recycling he does, Brian has at least three or four albums worth of unreleased tunes from the 80s onward. The volume, when you include the Usher stuff, SI, the Paley sessions, the Asher collabs and the Bennett sessions, is pretty remarkable. And that doesn't even include the stray released tracks, some of which are deeply impressive, and the backing vocal appearances. You could get a five or six disc set really easily ...
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »

Is there really a BW song called So Long? Hmmm.... :/

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 06:04:37 PM »

Yeah, it's from his 80s collab with Gary usher, I always knew it as Turning Point...it's known as So Long in the Proect Wson book.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »

A B.W box..?!   EVERYONE here would buy it.

Did everyone here buy MIC?  Me a (Avid) Fan since 1981 and I did not purchase MIC.

But B.Widow/LDIA, DTOPE,...  Magic Lanterns, In the wink of an eye, Elbow, So Long............  Love You demo's....?!     C'mon gimme gimme...  
I have not bought mic yet, cuz I don't have the money for it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:48:39 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »

I hate to say it too, but I think that's the most likely possibility... years from now (hopefully many).

Maybe he could release a song or two on iTunes and just see how it sells. It's not like the old model is the only one anymore.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »

Here's how I think they should do this, release a 2 cd best of the solo years cd, the first cd will be highlights throughout his solo years, including those rare hard to find songs that are now OOP, disc 2 should be nothing but unreleased songs and demos etc....
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »

Here's how I think they should do this, release a 2 cd best of the solo years cd, the first cd will be highlights throughout his solo years, including those rare hard to find songs that are now OOP, disc 2 should be nothing but unreleased songs and demos etc....

A set like this, at the very least, *will* happen at some point. No doubt in my mind.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »

A set like this, at the very least, *will* happen at some point. No doubt in my mind.

Aren't almost all of the ones he's released "Unreleased and Demos" ?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 06:30:55 PM »

Yeah, it's from his 80s collab with Gary usher, I always knew it as Turning Point...it's known as So Long in the Proect Wson book.

It was released as "You've Touched Me" on GIOMH. The same basic chords and structure, with a bit of a different rhythmic approach.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »

It was released as "You've Touched Me" on GIOMH. The same basic chords and structure, with a bit of a different rhythmic approach.
And different lyrics (obviously)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »

And different lyrics (obviously)

Even though "You've Touched Me" has a few cool melodic touches exclusive to the remake, I think its early incarnation as "Turning Point" (or is the proper title "So Long") is far better. I love those 80s BW synthy demos, even if they have their weak spots.

The only really tough one for me to dig is the demo for "Save The Day", whose Landy-penned (?) lyrics are only about 1.5 rungs on the turd latter improved compared to the lyrics for "Looking Back With Love". Brian should've called that track "Looking Back With Brian". I'll take "Fairy Tale" over "Save The Day" any day..
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:40:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx