gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 01:35:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if there were no Stamos?  (Read 20391 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »

having Stamos around only contributes to the farce that is the touring band.

the current situation of Mike & Bruce performing as The Beach Boys with frequent Stamos appearances would be akin to Paul and Ringo performing as The Beatles with frequent Joey Lawrence appearances. it wouldn't sit well with most people, whether they're fans or not. for damn good reason.

Or a bit like ALF joining the Ramones?

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »

LOL

HA! is right  Wink
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2015, 09:37:18 PM »

I am sad that Screech never crashed Beastie Boys shows.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
KDS
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2015, 05:23:28 AM »

I have to side with the Sheriff on this one. 

While it would be near impossible to truly determine how many more fans John Stamos brought to The Beach Boys, it seems fairly obvious that he's done far more good than harm to the legacy of The Beach Boys. 

Dave Coulier, on the other hand, has had almost zero impact.  Did he even have a line in that Beach Boy Bingo episode? 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2015, 05:37:58 AM »

I believe Stamos has helped with BBs' exposure but imo people only buy BBs' product because they like the product not because they were exposed to it on TV or radio or a video or movie.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
KDS
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2015, 05:44:16 AM »

I believe Stamos has helped with BBs' exposure but imo people only buy BBs' product because they like the product not because they were exposed to it on TV or radio or a video or movie.

That's partly true, but in this day and age, a well placed song in a movie or TV show can do wonders for a band's career. 

When Journey's Don't Stop Believin was used on the finale of The Sopranos, that became the number 1 song on iTunes.

Europe's The Final Countdown has been used in a Geico ad, and downloads of that song have skyrocketed. 

Maybe a few of those fans dive deeper into the catalog, start buying concert tickets, full albums, etc. 

If you take personal opinion and bias out of the equation, you can deny that Stamos in almost three decades has helped expose many people to Beach Boys music. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2015, 06:31:06 AM »

That's partly true, but in this day and age, a well placed song in a movie or TV show can do wonders for a band's career. 

When Journey's Don't Stop Believin was used on the finale of The Sopranos, that became the number 1 song on iTunes.

Europe's The Final Countdown has been used in a Geico ad, and downloads of that song have skyrocketed. 

Maybe a few of those fans dive deeper into the catalog, start buying concert tickets, full albums, etc. 

If you take personal opinion and bias out of the equation, you can deny that Stamos in almost three decades has helped expose many people to Beach Boys music. 

I think we are agreeing.

People were exposed to the song on TV etc. but they download/buy it because they like it, not because it was on TV etc..  I don't have a study or anything but from my own experience, I am exposed to lots of songs on equally popular TV and movies but most don't strike my fancy so I don't bother to download them or even seek more info on the song or band. I didn't dislike it because it was on a popular show/movie and I don't like songs that I see/hear on TV/movies just because they are on a show/movie. The shows only bring the songs to my awareness and then I either like or dislike them.  Maybe it's just me.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2015, 09:16:12 PM »

i don't think anyone is denying that. does it give him the right to perform as a member of the band and appear in their promotional photos?

sure doesn't, but we live in a world where Brian Wilson is not nearly as welcome at a Beach Boys concert as John Stamos. and really only one person to thank for it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2015, 09:25:01 PM »

having Stamos around only contributes to the farce that is the touring band.

the current situation of Mike & Bruce performing as The Beach Boys with frequent Stamos appearances would be akin to Paul and Ringo performing as The Beatles with frequent Joey Lawrence appearances. it wouldn't sit well with most people, whether they're fans or not. for damn good reason.

But Stamos didn't just come along in the M&B Years - he was there when Carl and Al were active in the group - and Brian occasionally. So your comparison would only hold if Joey Lawrence had also jammed with George...and maybe John.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »

the point is that a teen idol actor has no place in a legendary band
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »

What if said legendary band was made up of teen idols?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »

then maybe they could all start a sit-com together
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »

Mike Love is no teen idol. Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »

But it's ok for actor Steve Martin to play bluegrass on banjo with Edie Brickell, Steel Canyon Ranchers and Martin Short on tour, or  former President Bill Clinton to jam on sax on Arsenio Hall or with indie electronica band M83?

Everyone has to stay "in their place?"

Seriously.  LOL
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »

Right, and never was back in the day either. He conjured up the older uncle or perhaps grandfather image that made him not fit in with the rest of the group.  Old Man

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2015, 12:14:08 PM »

While Dennis was the man!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »

But it's ok for actor Steve Martin to play bluegrass on banjo with Edie Brickell, Steel Canyon Ranchers and Martin Short on tour, or  former President Bill Clinton to jam on sax on Arsenio Hall or with indie electronica band M83?

Everyone has to stay "in their place?"

Seriously.  LOL
This post actually clarified the Stamos controversy to me. I think the fans' reaction to the guest celebrity depends on their feelings for the band compared to their feelings for the guest celebrity. If the guest celebrity causes an "ugh" feeling and the band causes a "yay!" then the fan will not be happy with the guest celebrity. But if the guest celebrity also causes a "yay!" then the fan will be happy.
I think the Clinton references are not comparable because they were one-offs, but if Steve Martin actually tours with Edie Brickell and is at times treated like a quasi band member, I think some people would be excited by that and some put off. Similar with Stamos. If a BB fan has as much of a "yay" for Stamos as the BBs, then happy. I think Stamos has a more mixed public reception than Steve Martin and there are a lot of people who think of Stamos more along the lines of Joey Lawrence, so they think his presence is more of an "ugh" - that he brings down the band and its reputation.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »

This Steve Martin and Edie Brickell vs Stamos and the Beach Boys 'comparison' may well be the absolute weakest argument I have EVER seen in any forum dealing with ANY topic whatsoever on-line... ... ...and I do mean ANY TOPIC...ever.

A quick comparison of the Brickell and Beach Boys discography suggests not a b or c player but really an x or y player going head to head with the A-team.  Even if the wild and crazy guy re-donned the arrow through his noggin and somehow wormed his way onto an awful Edie Brickell album in order to sing lead on 'What I Am' [and further murder it to shreds] there would be NO comparison to be made.

But hey!!!  Now that ol' Steve's a well known New Bohemian around 'these parts'...let's get him properly shellacked and 'corked' and give him some car keys.

Geeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  The ends some will go to to completely and totally miss making ANY KIND OF A valid POINT. Roll Eyes

It's  LOL able.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:26:45 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2015, 01:32:45 PM »

This Steve Martin and Edie Brickell vs Stamos and the Beach Boys argument may well be the absolute weakest argument I have EVER seen in any forum dealing with ANY topic on-line... ... ...ever.
A quick comparison of the Brickell and Beach Boys discography suggests not a b or c player but really an x or y player going head to head with the A-team.  Even if the wild and crazy guy re-donned the arrow through his noggin and somehow wormed his way onto an awful Edie Brickel album to sing lead on 'What I Am' [and murder it to shreds] there would be NO comparison to be made.

But hey!!!  Now that ol' Steve's a well known New Bohemian...let's get him properly 'corked' and give him some keys.

Geeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  The ends some will go to to miss making ANY KIND OF valid POINT. Roll Eyes

It's  LOL able.
Hey, I totally agree that Stamos is nowhere near the caliber of Steve Martin. I just don't know if everyone agrees on that.
I don't know anything about Stamos' musicianship. I know Steve Martin is an excellent banjo player.
I don't know anything about Edie Brickell fans and how serious they are about her work.
I have no idea how much time Martin spends with Brickell on the road or in studio.
My furthering the comparison would only be based on a bunch of ifs: if one is a die-hard I-take-Edie-Brickells-music-very-seriously and if I want to hear her music undiluted and if Steve Martin (whom in this scenario "I" don't have a lot of appreciation for) repeatedly shows up and distracts from and dilutes the music, then it won't please me.
My personal opinion, if Edie Brickell fans are lucky enough to get a live guest spot from Steve Martin, they should be thrilled and I'm jealous. And if I see the Beach Boys and Stamos is there diluting and distracting, I'd be irritated.
To me, Stamos is hacky and schmaltzy and brings the rep. of the Beach Boys down, but I think there are authentic Stamos fans out there who are probably happy about his presence.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »

This Steve Martin and Edie Brickell vs Stamos and the Beach Boys 'comparison' may well be the absolute weakest argument I have EVER seen in any forum dealing with ANY topic whatsoever on-line... ... ...and I do mean ANY TOPIC...ever.

A quick comparison of the Brickell and Beach Boys discography suggests not a b or c player but really an x or y player going head to head with the A-team.  Even if the wild and crazy guy re-donned the arrow through his noggin and somehow wormed his way onto an awful Edie Brickell album in order to sing lead on 'What I Am' [and further murder it to shreds] there would be NO comparison to be made.

But hey!!!  Now that ol' Steve's a well known New Bohemian around 'these parts'...let's get him properly shellacked and 'corked' and give him some car keys.

Geeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  The ends some will go to to completely and totally miss making ANY KIND OF A valid POINT. Roll Eyes

It's  LOL able.
Though also, I really enjoyed your post. It cracks me up. But only, I think, because I'm where you are with Edie Brickell. But maybe she has a die-hard following (?)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2015, 01:37:54 PM »

Geez...I thought I'd put it more clearly.  In this argument neither Martin or Stamos mean a whole lot.  They're just potential ink stains on the sheet music.   It's the stature and discography and legacy of the Beach Boys towering sky high while down there at the foot of the awe-inspiring skyscraper, barely ever even noticed, toils teenie-weenie little Edie.

I think your point about Stamos fans is valid.  BUT...I'll bet they're fans of his TV show...NOT of his Beach Boy-itis.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:40:42 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »

Geez...I thought I'd put it more clearly.  In this argument neither Martin or Stamos mean a whole lot.  They're just potential ink stains on the sheet music.   It's the stature and discography and legacy of the Beach Boys towering sky high while down there at the foot of the awe-inspiring skyscraper, barely ever even noticed, toils teenie-weenie little Edie.
Ok. I agree with that too. But I leave room for people who don't take the Beach Boys very seriously (of which there are many) and for those who take Edie Brickell seriously (of which I have no idea). I know of a few bands that are barely noticed that I would be very upset if John Stamos started showing up all over the place.
I think I'm perhaps being a little selfish though and thinking about how the celebrity guest would affect my personal enjoyment rather than general reputation. General reputation: stamos brings BBs down and Martin can only bring Brickell's up - because it's almost nonexistent.
Edited to add: yes, I totally missed focus on my first reply to your post. Sorry about that. I think I'm actually a little more exercised by the comparison of stamos to Martin than Brickell to BBs. People who are into M&B BBs I assume are going for the fun, fun, fun while I'm assuming that if Brickell is drawing an audience at this time it's because she's done some work that I don't know of that might be really good.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:54:33 PM by Emily » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2015, 01:45:15 PM »

Sad world where Stamos is more welcome than BW& Al to tour under the BBs name.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2015, 01:49:33 PM »

Sad world where Stamos is more welcome than BW& Al to tour under the BBs name.
This is true.
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2015, 01:59:44 PM »

Right, and never was back in the day either. He conjured up the older uncle or perhaps grandfather image that made him not fit in with the rest of the group.  Old Man

That's interesting.  Video footage of him has him pantomiming away like crazy and making out like he's really hot.  I sort of assumed he was considered cool, but not even in 1964? 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx