gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680897 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 05, 2024, 01:52:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recycled musical motifs in Brian's music  (Read 9252 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »

It'd be interesting to know what was intentional, what wasn't, and what's fans just making stuff up.
what songs from the aborted smile made it on later albums?

You can look up the songs on Smiley Smile, but after that it goes something like this:

Mama Says on Wild Honey is the chorus of Vega-Tables
Do It Again on 20/20 uses Workshop
Our Prayer and Cabinessence on 20/20
Cool, Cool Water on Sunflower
Surf's Up on Surf's Up
Leaving This Town on Holland uses a piano bit from CITFOTM
Goin' On from Keeping the Summer Alive uses the descending/ascending vocal bit from the end of Heroes and Villains to wonderful effect.

I think that is it.

u forgot about little bird.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »

What part of Little Bird?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »

The tag at 1:24 borrows much of the "Child Is The Father Of The Man" chorus.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »

this part "The tag at 1:24 borrows much of the "Child Is The Father Of The Man" chorus."
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:15:05 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »

What part of Little Bird?
this part "The tag at 1:24 borrows much of the "Child Is The Father Of The Man" chorus."
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »

Interesting. I had never noticed that before. I still think the loop in Leaving This Town is just as applicable though.

@newguy, are you a little slow?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »

I think it's hard to claim Brian's signature pounding chords on similar sounding progressions as actual similarity..... even if the song in question was written by Brian, which Leaving This Town wasn't, and it's extremely likely Brian had nothing to do with that number.

Whereas 'Little Bird', you have a case - you have a much more active Brian in the studio, for one.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2011, 05:04:54 PM »

I think it's hard to claim Brian's signature pounding chords on similar sounding progressions as actual similarity..... even if the song in question was written by Brian, which Leaving This Town wasn't, and it's extremely likely Brian had nothing to do with that number.

Whereas 'Little Bird', you have a case - you have a much more active Brian in the studio, for one.

True. Still, it just sounds like they too that piano snippet and looped it to my ears. Cool with Little Bird though. I had never heard that.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »

Interesting. I had never noticed that before. I still think the loop in Leaving This Town is just as applicable though.

@newguy, are you a little slow?
at moments i am.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2011, 08:35:25 AM »

is there a site that lists all these? or is it just on this and a couple of other threads?

I'm pretty sure I started one as well

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »

The difference is, though, that Brian deliberately gave that part to Dennis to help finish up "Little Bird" and worked on it with him. Same notes, same chords, a lot of the same instruments, etc. The "Leaving This Town" bit has a similar rhythm but is not the same chords, etc. as "Child", so I think that one is just coincidence. Also, we know how involved Brian was with Holland.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »

I'm unsure if this has been mentioned, so I apologize in advance if it has.

But I know when BW's Gershwin album came out, we were quick to say that I've got Plenty of Nuttin' borrows parts from Three Blind Mice....which I agreed with but now that I listen to Denny's I don't Know from the Smile set...that sounds more like what Brian was borrwing from, especially the banjo part and rhytm parts.

Anyone else hear this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »

The difference is, though, that Brian deliberately gave that part to Dennis to help finish up "Little Bird" and worked on it with him. Same notes, same chords, a lot of the same instruments, etc. The "Leaving This Town" bit has a similar rhythm but is not the same chords, etc. as "Child", so I think that one is just coincidence. Also, we know how involved Brian was with Holland.
I agree, it's not as Smile like as one would hope. I honestly think the coda/ending to Don't Go Near the Water sounds more Smile like than that part on Leaving this Town

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2011, 10:02:53 AM »

When thinking of questions to ask Brian...one would think (as Ken Kerchival once told me) "There's not a question that hasn't been asked...everyone's just asked the same things over and over." While I feel this may be true for someone who starred on the hit series: Dallas, I don't find it true for someone like Brian Wilson. In this case, I wonder if he's ever been asked about all these riffs...for instance: "What's the story on putting the "workshop" on the ending of Do it Again?" "What about borrowing CITFOM riff for Little Bird?" etc. etc.

Have these questions been asked to anyone official?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »

I believe I read somewhere(maybe Desper?) that Carl tacked on the woodshop thing to Do It Again, simply because he felt he had to justify the cost of that recording session to Capitol.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx