gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680995 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 05:29:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thank Godness For Record Collectors - They Save The Record Comapnies  (Read 1345 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2006, 10:57:59 PM »

Re-reading all of the posts about the Rarities LP and it's use of Good Vibes from the Best Summers of Our Lives radio show reinforces the feeling I always have that the record companies (and the artists as  as well sometimes) don't give a damn about caring for the legacy that they are stewards of.

Yes, I understand that no one knew how big groups like the BB and the Beatles would become. But it is still a disgrace that the companies thought so little of these acts that keeping a close inventory on the master tapes was far down the list of company directives.

Heck, EMI and the BBC had to go to collectors to get many of the tracks for the Beatles at the Beeb double CD from 1993. Luckily, collectors had sought out the transcription disc that were regularly thrown away after the broadcast by BBC stations around the world. Both EMI and the BBC had erased or discarded many of their own tapes back in the late '60s.

Same with the BB. The number of muti-tracks missing is really pitful. And the fact that Mark can master PS in 1987 using the PS master and then to have it missing just few years later kind of puts things in prospective. It's not just the way things were done back in the 60s. Some of it contunues today. I grant you that both Cap and Brother have gotten their collective acts together as of late with Mark and Alan as the leaders of the fight.

Just venting. I was reading again about the Beatles CD (and others as well) where collectors have saved the day.

Bob Flory
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx