gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 03:22:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson playing with "the best band I ever worked with."  (Read 13758 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »

The BW band plays the songs closer to the studio versions like Brian wants. The BBs had to change the songs since being five guys Playing live during the glory days.

+1. And that's not a slight against the BBs either, anymore than Brian using the Wrecking Crew as his preferred instrumental musicians (either entirely or partially) during the '60s is a slight against the Boys.
Hell, I like the 1964 live shows with raw punk energy a lot. But BW wanted something different in the studio, and the BW band is great for carrying that out in a live setting.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »

you are correct, sir.  Call it raw punk garage energy '64.
and BM, Blondie is KILLING this 2015 tour.  I was amazed !
Brian was 4Fresh.   Dennis was great, but not a musician.

- energy and rock came from 11 & 13 yr old David and Carl
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »

I duno the BW band is amazing and awe inspiring... but they don't know how to "rock." Brian doesn't either. Rocking was a strictly Carl/Dennis thang.

Have you been to one of the current shows?

yah it's like a chamber orchestra featuring a guy that rocks (blondie). not complaining! just callin it how i sees it. brian's never been interested in rocking the f*** out.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 04:24:17 PM »

When Brian says something controversial, he's given the benefit of the doubt that he didn't mean it, and instead it was totally innocuous and twisted by the author or reader.

Mike gets taken at face value.

Isn't this slightly degrading? Are we saying Brian can't speak for himself and we have to interpret everything he says?

Brian said he's playing with the best band he ever worked with. He worked with the Beach Boys. Unless he clarifies that he's speaking as a solo artist, then I believe he should be interpreted at face value.

And once again, imagine of Mike said this. Granted, Brian has a much better claim because of the talent of his backing musicians and vocalists, but you'd better believe if Mike said this, it would be taken as a shot against Brian, Dennis, Carl and Al.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »

Maybe true.  But Brian has a history of being a pretty nonconfrontational guy with a very nice way about him in terms of his demeanor.  Mike?  Perhaps he's been a little more in 'yer' face along the way?

Maybe THAT'S why things are taken the way they are?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 04:38:33 PM »

I think, in 1998, he said "Imagination" was the best album he's ever made. Brian seems to sometimes say whatever he's working on at the current moment in time is his best ... not a bad way to work.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 04:38:56 PM »

When Brian says something controversial, he's given the benefit of the doubt that he didn't mean it, and instead it was totally innocuous and twisted by the author or reader.

Mike gets taken at face value.

Isn't this slightly degrading? Are we saying Brian can't speak for himself and we have to interpret everything he says?

Brian said he's playing with the best band he ever worked with. He worked with the Beach Boys. Unless he clarifies that he's speaking as a solo artist, then I believe he should be interpreted at face value.

And once again, imagine of Mike said this. Granted, Brian has a much better claim because of the talent of his backing musicians and vocalists, but you'd better believe if Mike said this, it would be taken as a shot against Brian, Dennis, Carl and Al.

Wasn't saying that's what Brian actually meant, just playing devil's advocate.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »

Brian can make that comment with a straight face because he never toured with the band during it's Blondie/Ricky peak years.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »

I'm sure Brian also means they are better than the 'Wrecking Crew' not just the Beach Boys.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »

Brian can make that comment with a straight face because he never toured with the band during it's Blondie/Ricky peak years.

Very true.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »

I'm sure Brian also means they are better than the 'Wrecking Crew' not just the Beach Boys.

Wrecking Crew wasn't a live performing band...apples and oranges.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »

In my opinion, Brian Wilson can do and say anything, and largely NOT be held accountable for it, because he is mentally ill. Brian's illness pretty much excuses the negative aspects of his life and career, especially on this board. And, if it becomes too painful to go there, you can always blame "others". That usually works, too, because they didn't give us Pet Sounds.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2015, 05:03:38 PM »

I think Mike is the mentally ill one due to the bile he says about his "cousin" Brian he "loves" so much.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2015, 05:06:46 PM »

In my opinion, Brian Wilson can do and say anything, and largely NOT be held accountable for it, because he is mentally ill. Brian's illness pretty much excuses the negative aspects of his life and career, especially on this board. And, if it becomes too painful to go there, you can always blame "others". That usually works, too, because they didn't give us Pet Sounds.

s'true.  Brian has always played it up as well, he's done a lot of passive agressive stuff over the years himself because he has a ready made excuse.  Just how it is...
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2015, 05:43:10 PM »

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »

Absolutely, SB. He'll go to his grave being a jealous, insecure wannabe with an enormous ego infested inferiority complex.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »

Wrecking Crew wasn't a live performing band...apples and oranges.

Your point is? 

“The guys from The Wondermints are with me. They’re the best band I’ve ever worked with". - Brian Wilson

Where did Brian mention live performing bands?  He worked with a band collectively known by many as the 'Wrecking Crew' in inverted commas.  His current band are like a concert version of the studio guys he had in the 60s. Do you agree?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »

So now that Brian is controlled and on prescription medications (to get that mental illness curbed) can he finally be held accountable for what he says?

But then again, according to Mike, it was hallucinogenic drugs that set Brian back two decades. Or it could've been the indiscriminate use of illegal street drugs. So as a Brianista which of these excuses works best to defend the negative aspects of Brian's life and career?

Give me a f*cking break. Brian is Brian - witty, humorous, doesn't like interviews, and frankly, what Brian says in an interview isn't harming anyone...it isn't tactless personal comments, it isn't passive aggressive snark directly aimed at people who Brian works with. NORBIT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE GOD FORBID WHAT BRIAN. GOK was written in 15 minutes? But the last interview you said 30....what the hell you're doing great damage to everythingggggg

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 06:59:33 PM »

Here's something I don't think anybody has thought of...

ever thought that Brian could be comparing the *current* configuration of his solo band in comparison to the previous incarnations? If so, I would definitely agree, as having Matt on falsetto and having Al and Blondie definitely has made this solo tour sound better than any other solo tour he's ever done.

This is how I took it.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:06 PM »

Once again, very little interview and a lot of interpretation by the writer.

My take away: Brian is enjoying what he's doing now.  As much as he loved his brothers and cousin, I'm guessing he wasn't always happy as a Beach Boy. He seems happy now and enjoys performing with this line up.  That makes this band the best ever.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:47:47 PM by Cyncie » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »

Well said

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 08:23:59 PM »

I take it he is saying the guys from Wondermints that are with him are the best band he has ever worked with.  The rest of his current band and past band not so much I guess.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »

Brian appears to be enjoying performing now more than he ever has before. I can't help but think that it is due, in large part, to having a band that is totally behind him 100%.

1962 - 1964
Brian is touring, writing, producing etc. Too much pressure and the touring is keeping him from what he wants to do.

1976 - 1996
Brian is an occasional member of the touring band shunted off to the side in the hope he wouldn't screw up the show.  When he is there it is like a side show - he contributes little. The band is playing arrangements of songs different from how he produced the music.

1998 -
Brian has a band that is devoted to his vision of the music.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 09:35:11 PM »

Brian appears to be enjoying performing now more than he ever has before. I can't help but think that it is due, in large part, to having a band that is totally behind him 100%.

1962 - 1964
Brian is touring, writing, producing etc. Too much pressure and the touring is keeping him from what he wants to do.

1976 - 1996
Brian is an occasional member of the touring band shunted off to the side in the hope he wouldn't screw up the show.  When he is there it is like a side show - he contributes little. The band is playing arrangements of songs different from how he produced the music.

There aren't many occasions where the Beach Boys played a version of a song radically different than the recorded version. The most obvious example I can think of is the early 70's versions of "Help Me Rhonda". No, I think the guys were pretty faithful to the original versions. Some things do change over time as you play the songs show after show, year after year - and that's not a bad thing IMO. it's part of keeping some life in the music.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 09:40:20 PM »

1962 - 1964

1976 - 1996

There aren't many occasions where the Beach Boys played a version of a song radically different than the recorded version. The most obvious example I can think of is the early 70's versions of "Help Me Rhonda". No, I think the guys were pretty faithful to the original versions. Some things do change over time as you play the songs show after show, year after year - and that's not a bad thing IMO. it's part of keeping some life in the music.

That's actually an interesting topic. "Heroes and Villains" is another notable example from the 70s.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx