gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 10:12:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145623 times)
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2011, 02:04:25 PM »

The Wilson brothers' memory has been honored sufficiently elsewhere. Let's see what The Beach Boys 2012 sounds like without dwelling on Carl's & Dennis' legacy. A simple dedication in the liner notes should suffice.

I'm amazed that people would actively oppose the inclusion of one of Carl or Dennis' solo songs.

This is a commemoration of what this band *has* achieved. This is a band with a storied past, not a long future. Does 'Celebration' as the title for this campaign not give you a hint? If you oppose Brian paying tribute to his brothers or Mike paying tribute to his cousins if thats what they want to do all I can wonder is who the f*** you think you are.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »

I have a feeling the new album will, in fact, be titled DO IT AGAIN.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »

From Rolling Stone:

Jardine also says that the group will present a diverse setlist. "We haven't played together in a long time," he says. "The fans are going to want to hear the hits. But there should also be lesser-known ones that are so important."

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »

The fact that I'm on a Beach Boys fan forum on the day a Beach Boys reunion and new album has been announced to celebrate their half century and some fans are actually admonishing the idea of Dennis and Carl being commemorated/acknowledged beyond liner note dedications blows my mind quite frankly. And makes me sick.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »

Autotuned Jeff = death.

Why can't he ever sing a note as it was written instead of f*cking with it in the same way every single time? "DU-UM BE DO-OO RON!" or "I WISH THEY ALL CO-OULD BE CALIFORNIA GIRLS"?

Even besides that, I just can't stand his tone. I've heard people say he sounds just like Brian did in the 60s, which is almost offensive. There are people involved with the band who can do those parts worlds more justice, and they were probably not utilized solely because Jeff is acting as one of Brian's minders. If people want to accuse, say, Christian Love of not singing with any "feeling", we should instead start with Jeff.

That is why people don't like Jeff and are, like me, probably fairly upset that he's gonna be on this.

some of us are tired of hearing his voice mixed up front so prominently

THIS, too. I bet anything he'd be more tolerable if he wasn't at the very top of the mix on almost every song he's included on.

That all said, I'm excited for the new album, excited for the re-releases, I'm very glad David's there, and I think Mike and Brian sound really good.

I'm also all for a reworking of a Carl and Dennis song. I don't understand those who fault the idea, but that's just me.

The Jeff hate is getting old, man. Really.

The falsetto is one of the key parts in BB harmony. That's why it's mixed up. It has nothing to do with Jeff personally, and everything to do with how Brian's music works.

You're so obsessed with Jeff -- for reasons I can only begin to imagine -- that you're losing sight of any bigger picture.

The Wilson brothers' memory has been honored sufficiently elsewhere. Let's see what The Beach Boys 2012 sounds like without dwelling on Carl's & Dennis' legacy. A simple dedication in the liner notes should suffice.

I'm amazed that people would actively oppose the inclusion of one of Carl or Dennis' solo songs.

This is a commemoration of what this band *has* achieved. This is a band with a storied past, not a long future. Does 'Celebration' as the title for this campaign not give you a hint? If you oppose Brian paying tribute to his brothers or Mike paying tribute to his cousins if thats what they want to do all I can wonder is who the f*ck you think you are.

We're Beach Boys fans, that's who we are. As a group we always know better than the band or its constituent members.

The fact that I'm on a Beach Boys fan forum on the day a Beach Boys reunion and new album has been announced to celebrate their half century and some fans are actually admonishing the idea of Dennis and Carl being commemorated/acknowledged beyond liner note dedications blows my mind quite frankly. And makes me sick.

They are dead and gone. For many years. Nothing would make the album less relevant (than it likely already will be) than pulling back-from-the-dead shtick.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »

They are dead and gone. For many years. Nothing would make the album less relevant (than it likely already will be) than pulling back-from-the-dead shtick.

What part of '50th anniversary celebration' is tripping you up? What you'd prefer 'relevance' like Summer In Paradise tried to be relevant to the early 90s? And covering a song your brother wrote is hardly trying to bring them 'back from the dead' any more than the local orchestra is trying to revive Beethoven.

This is a 50th anniversary celebration of the Beach Boys. Unless you think Carl and Dennis' contributions were minimal, I fail to see how the occasion can be properly commemorated without their inclusion and acknowledgement in some small way.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:21:09 PM by elnombre » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2011, 02:26:36 PM »

Some above have surmised that perhaps David is "in the video" but not on the track due to the fact I reported he wasn't at the initial "Do It Again" vocal session months ago. But there were multiple sessions, or multiple days of recording and filming. I can confirm David did record multiple guitar tracks for this recording at Brian and Mike's request. I am not exactly sure what order everything came together in...but all the boys are on the track.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »

1 - permission to be exceedingly smug for about a week...

2 - will those already picking it apart kindly SHUT THE f*ck UP. Don't like the idea, fine, just go away and leave those of us who can to enjoy the prospect.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:37:54 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2011, 02:28:17 PM »

Let me also take this opportunity to apologize to AGD.  
I'd zinged him (incorrectly) for erroneous reporting as well as not being a diligent journalist
(by not interviewing Brian as to what he was up to in the studio with a possible new BB album.)

Obviously there was a plan, AGD knew that, and he did a splendid job of not letting the cat out of the bag.  
Once again, my apologies Sir!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:32:54 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »

Some people need to realize that this isn't the rebirth, it's the last hurrah. Join in and enjoy while you can.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »

Some above have surmised that perhaps David is "in the video" but not on the track due to the fact I reported he wasn't at the initial "Do It Again" vocal session months ago. But there were multiple sessions, or multiple days of recording and filming. I can confirm David did record multiple guitar tracks for this recording at Brian and Mike's request. I am not exactly sure what order everything came together in...but all the boys are on the track.
that is great news!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »

2 - will those already picking it apart kindly SHUT THE f*ck UP. Don't like the idea, fine, just go away and leve those of us who can to enjoy the prospect.

I'll second that, its only rock n roll folks.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »

Awesome!  We have half of the original guitar sound back.  Bravo to Brian and Mike for having David play.  Kind of a no brainer though seeing he's such a great guitar player.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2011, 02:32:37 PM »

Some people need to realize that this isn't the rebirth, it's the last hurrah. Join in and enjoy while you can.

Well put. One thing the Beatles have the BB never had was a nice tidy end to their group-story. It's good to see that the BB are going to let one be written for them as well.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2011, 02:33:20 PM »

I wanna wade in 2012 right up to my neck.

New album, archive releases, re-union tour…  we all knew it but now we KNOW!   And so GLAD that Dave is on board. Authenticity and integrity!

Darn!

I want suggestions for the name of my new baby, due January 2, please guys! Gender to be confirmed!

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »

The Jeff hate is getting old, man. Really.

So is Jeff wailing over songs I love.

We're talking two of 10-12 songs, here, and I doubt there's much mainstream appeal in "We brought Dennis (aka the guy you likely know as the dude who knew Charlie Manson if you know him at all) back from the dead!" like there was with the Beatles "We brought John motherfuckin' Lennon, world hero, back from the dead!"

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2011, 02:39:46 PM »

2 - will those already picking it apart kindly SHUT THE f*ck UP. Don't like the idea, fine, just go away and leave those of us who can to enjoy the prospect.

Andrew, we're Beach Boys fans. What else do we do besides pick things apart? And complain about Foskett?

We're talking two of 10-12 songs, here, and I doubt there's much mainstream appeal in "We brought Dennis (aka the guy you likely know as the dude who knew Charlie Manson if you know him at all) back from the dead!" like there was with the Beatles "We brought John motherf*ckin' Lennon, world hero, back from the dead!"

This is a very good point. I could go for either the original Soul Searchin' or It's Still a Mystery, I suppose. Dennis seems harder, though ... so much more time has passed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:40:38 PM by Wirestone » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »

http://www.billboard.com/news/beach-boys-reunite-for-album-50-date-tour-1005690352.story#/news/beach-boys-reunite-for-album-50-date-tour-1005690352.story

Billboard. there is heaps of press about this!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »

This is a good point. I could go for either the original Soul Searchin' or It's Still a Mystery, I suppose. Dennis seems harder, though ... so much more time has passed.

I will say, if we're talking a Dennis track, there's potential for the "double-edged sword" element. Imagine "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again?" on the new Beach Boys record, utilizing Dennis' vintage vocal, but the original still being left in the vaults.

Who knows. I do see the likelihood of Carl appearing being much stronger than Dennis.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »

I'm sure Carl or Dennis' presence will be felt during the performances on stage.  There are some creative opportunities to achieve this like having an image of them on the big screen during a particular song (or section of songs)---most likely "God Only Knows" for Carl and "Forever" for Dennis.  Paul McCartney did that for both George and John during his shows and was a nice way to pay homage to them.  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:44:38 PM by Justin » Logged
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2011, 02:43:47 PM »

GRANTED!

Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »

I'm happy to be around for the last hurrah. I'm afraid next year I will spend the highest amount of money ever for a single concert ticket...

Some people need to change their attitude. Sad

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »

This is absolutely fantastic news on all fronts, and then within hours we are picking the whole thing apart. I also lost my best buddy today, my 14 year old dog, Rocky. It was great having a reason to celebrate on such a sad day for me and the wife.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2011, 02:55:26 PM »

Must buy tickets to this tour! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »

This is absolutely fantastic news on all fronts, and then within hours we are picking the whole thing apart. I also lost my best buddy today, my 14 year old dog, Rocky. It was great having a reason to celebrate on such a sad day for me and the wife.

Sorry to hear about your dog, Doc.  Now he's up in dog heaven with Shannon......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx