gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 06:03:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Box set: Ghost melodies, clues, hints, and new mysteries  (Read 43816 times)
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »

And speaking of Darian and his access...didn't he say that the melody for "Song for Children" came from a clarinet line he heard bleed through someone's headphones on the original session tapes??? Whatever happened to that, and how did it elude the box? Can anybody hear it???

Given the space crunch, "Holidays: isolated headphone clarinet bleed" might not have been a top priority for general consumption, despite the historical interest.

And it seems like the DYLW melody-reconstruction process of 2003 might not have gone any further than going by what Brian sang upon being played the track. .  The fact that he did come up with a previously undocumented lead line was probably as far as they felt they needed to go.   Now if they'd made a point of playing him this fragment too, he might have gone "oh yeah!" or he might have just been all like "whatevs, Darian".

I love musing over the idea of hidden intention behind these little fragments.  "Surf's Up 1967" is the same way - "what does this key change mean?!?"
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »

And speaking of Darian and his access...didn't he say that the melody for "Song for Children" came from a clarinet line he heard bleed through someone's headphones on the original session tapes??? Whatever happened to that, and how did it elude the box? Can anybody hear it???

Given the space crunch, "Holidays: isolated headphone clarinet bleed" might not have been a top priority for general consumption, despite the historical interest.

I didn't mean that granular, but...is there any spot in the sessions where if you listen carefully can you actually HEAR the bleed???

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »

Didn't Darian have full access to the Smile tapes in the vault?? Certainly if it was "officially" believed to be THE melody, it would have been properly adapted in BWPS.

Only what had been gone through at the time, in the ongoing process of cataloging and identifying the tapes.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »

I didn't mean that granular, but...is there any spot in the sessions where if you listen carefully can you actually HEAR the bleed???

I tried to listen for it during the Look sessions, but I couldn't hear it. Anyone else?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »

Yeah I was hoping to hear this as well. Has anyone other than Darian confirmed that this exists?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »

Why are we all so sure that scrap of paper contained the final draft of the lyrics? The music seemed to change daily, why not the lyrics? Listen to some early Pet Sounds drafts. Words were excised/added as the songs progressed.

This isn't great, (so no rude comments please) but off the top of my head, what about.....

Once upon the sandwich isle across the sea
And then the social structure streamed upon Hawaii

No idea about verse one though. If you add anything past ocean liner you lose the second line rhyme.

I'm really happy that this box-set has thrown up more puzzles and questions, rather than being the final word.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:13:31 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »

Seems that all evidence we actually have shows that lyrics actually didn't change much at all, except "Good Vibrations."

- All Smile versions of "Wonderful" had the same lyrics.
- The "Heroes And Villains" lyrics pretty much stayed the same, except "for" was sung as "as" in the demo.
- "Vegetables" except the "cornucopia" verse was dropped after the demo

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »

Yeah, but this lyric sheet already had a word (at least a word) missing. So this lyric sheet was hardly the ten commandments.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »

Seems that all evidence we actually have shows that lyrics actually didn't change much at all, except "Good Vibrations."

- All Smile versions of "Wonderful" had the same lyrics.
- The "Heroes And Villains" lyrics pretty much stayed the same, except "for" was sung as "as" in the demo.
- "Vegetables" except the "cornucopia" verse was dropped after the demo

But as less than half the album had completed vocals, that's not saying much.

So to go through your list,

Only one SMiLE version of Wonderful had complete vocals

Heroes still wasn't finished.

And VegaTables, as you rightly point out, had lyrical changes.

So I would say there is no evidence that lyrics didn't change much

IMO
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:30:13 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 07, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »

Before we get wobbly about this -- what's chapter and verse on the DYLW lyrics? What do we have, from when?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #160 on: November 07, 2011, 05:02:08 PM »

A lyric sheet in Van Dyke's handwriting, given to Frank Holmes for reference during his illustrations.
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »

Anyone got a copy or a transcript?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2011, 05:35:47 PM »

I don't think something heard through headphone bleed on a multitrack is able to be mixed into a song without ridiculous amounts of hiss etc. coming into the picture. Like, a legit ridiculous amount, not just "o no wat happen" hiss.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »

Amazing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:49:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »

On Disc 2, for "Heroes and Villains: Whistling Bridge", at 0:27-0:29, when Brian says "Carol, I think you and [unintelligible]" should go home", it sounds very nearly just like his much older self talking... I've never heard "young" brian sound anything like older Brian before until this moment.

Really weird. Maybe he was just really tired at the end of a grueling session or something.

That might be because Dennis says it Smiley

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2011, 09:30:40 PM »

Yeah, it's Denny talking to Carol and Scott.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2011, 09:59:05 PM »

On Disc 2, for "Heroes and Villains: Whistling Bridge", at 0:27-0:29, when Brian says "Carol, I think you and [unintelligible]" should go home", it sounds very nearly just like his much older self talking... I've never heard "young" brian sound anything like older Brian before until this moment.

Really weird. Maybe he was just really tired at the end of a grueling session or something.

That might be because Dennis says it Smiley

Yeah, that's Dennis, I think. But at some spot on the V-T sessions Brian complains about am out of tune piano, and his speech there is slurred like it often is these days...

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2011, 10:28:37 PM »

Why are we all so sure that scrap of paper contained the final draft of the lyrics?

I don't think it was, because DYLW got scrapped altogether, so there is no "final draft". Even BWPS doesn't use all of those lyrics, leaving out the "Having returned to the East or West indies" bit.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2011, 12:06:49 AM »

Why are we all so sure that scrap of paper contained the final draft of the lyrics?

I don't think it was, because DYLW got scrapped altogether, so there is no "final draft". Even BWPS doesn't use all of those lyrics, leaving out the "Having returned to the East or West indies" bit.

Agreed.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:50:21 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2011, 12:19:25 AM »

I've never heard "young" brian sound anything like older Brian before until this moment.

Have you never heard Da Da?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2011, 10:14:25 AM »

Another mystery solved by the box set:  where the "linett tape" version of cool cool water (on Vigotone) came from - the one with three rounds of "cool, so cool, coolin' me" etc.  When only one round appeared on the GV box set I wondered if Mark had just looped it three times to create a "song" back in 88 - but now we know there were three rounds recorded, with the piano child bridge inbetween the second and the third.  so Mark just chopped out the bridge, and voila - the booted Cool Cool Water that we've come to know and love!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »

why does everyone forget that the wah wah hoo wah was slowed down?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »

why does everyone forget that the wah wah hoo wah was slowed down?

Where was this said?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2011, 02:10:52 AM »

they say it everywhere man just listen to it
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate