gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680934 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 04:01:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sign the petition to include Blondie and Ricky in the 2012 Reunion!  (Read 37265 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2012, 09:28:54 AM »

The 50th Anniversary Beach Boys band includes members from Mike and Bruce's band, Brian's band, and Al Jardine's band.

Who from Al's group?  Mike was quoted recently as saying 'We're mostly using BW's band,' so I thought it was BW band, + Coswill on drums, & Scott Totten on guitar.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »

The 50th Anniversary Beach Boys band includes members from Mike and Bruce's band, Brian's band, and Al Jardine's band.

Who from Al's group?  Mike was quoted recently as saying 'We're mostly using BW's band,' so I thought it was BW band, + Coswill on drums, & Scott Totten on guitar.

Gary Griffin played with Brian but also with Al. Don't know about any other.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »

As others have mentioned, it seems the ultimate goal from Mike and Brian's perspective is to make this as seamless of a transition as possible.  Yes, there will be songs that will require some band members to have to learn new parts---but nothing is worse than having to go through a whole set of songs with a new drummer--regardless if they've played these songs before or not.  Having a new drummer sit in is like having a completely different band: sometimes it's great but sometimes It throws you off.  Every musician has their own style...who's to say Ricky would really gel with the band?   In Mike's position, I'd be confident in knowing that my guy John Cowsill has and can do the part, there's a sense of security there---I wouldn't dare throw away that guarantee on bringing in someone new--- even if it was an old friend. 

That said, I'm totally for Blondie and Ricky having a full set either as an opener or in the middle of the show.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2012, 10:38:39 AM »

That said, I'm totally for Blondie and Ricky having a full set either as an opener or in the middle of the show.

THERE you go. I knew you'd come around! Fataar is a drummer's drummer. Why do you think he took over for Dennis in the early 70's when he hurt his hand? Both Dennis and Carl knew he could do the job. Guy knew the oldies like the back of his hand and picked up new material in a flash. No wonder Dennis wanted Rick on his album.

Bonghit: The answer is Al himself. And David played in his band at some gigs too.

And isn't Scott Bennett going to go with them on the 50th?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »

isn't Scott Bennett going to go with them on the 50th?

I don't remember noticing Bennett in the "Do It Again" video, but maybe all the personnel details aren't arranged yet.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »

Yup, Bennett was definitely there.  He was at the tail end of the full video.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »

Scott Bennet was playing keyboards, visible at the tail end of the video

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »

That's why I asked if Bennett is joining The Beach Boys on tour this year - because he was in the video. Has it been confirmed yet that pretty much everyone in the video (in addition to Marks) will be in the 50th Anniversary shows?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2012, 09:50:09 PM »

Has it been confirmed yet that pretty much everyone in the video (in addition to Marks) will be in the 50th Anniversary shows?

Presumably.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2012, 03:47:00 AM »

nothing's more reliable than presumable confirmations! on the internet!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2012, 05:55:54 AM »

nothing's more reliable than presumable confirmations! on the internet!

There's a lot of info on the Internet — some of it's true!

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2012, 06:17:48 AM »

Do you think the Stockholm Strings'n'Horns or a similar group will be part of the shows ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »

One day, when the 50th ann celebration passes, I wanna hear the full story on how and why Blondie and Ricky became FULL-TIME BEACH BOYS!!!!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »

From what I just heard, it doesn't look like Blondie (and therefor Ricky) will be part of the reunion/celebration. Things are up to the Boys, maybe someone will have the bright idea to include them.

BTW does Bruce still post on BBBritain ? Maybe someone can ask him what he thinks....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:19:18 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's Blondie performing Sail On Sailor in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reP5gImvF-c&feature=related
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2012, 11:45:46 PM »

I just saw Blondie play the other day. When he introduced Sail on Sailor he said something to the effect of "I used to play in a band called the Beach Boys. They were a bunch of weirdos, but this is a good song."

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2012, 11:55:50 PM »

Pretty hard to argue with that!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2012, 05:50:44 AM »

here's Blondie performing Sail On Sailor in 2011.

A blawst from the pawst.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »

here's Blondie performing Sail On Sailor in 2011.

A blawst from the pawst.

Not everyone speaks English in the same way that you do. What's your point?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »

I just saw Blondie play the other day. When he introduced Sail on Sailor he said something to the effect of "I used to play in a band called the Beach Boys. They were a bunch of weirdos, but this is a good song."
Wondering if he was refering to the weird TM stuff or just Mike Love?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »

Not everyone speaks English in the same way that you do. What's your point?

Did you watch/hear the video? That's not how I speak — it's how Blondie pronounced it — I thought it was cute.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2012, 09:13:14 AM »

Probably that, and more — hard to deny they were 'a bunch of weirdos.'

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »

Probably that, and more — hard to deny they were 'a bunch of weirdos.'
But, they are our weirdos. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SBonilla
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2012, 09:27:43 AM »

The word 'weird' does not make me immediately think of Mike. The are others in line, ahead of him.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2012, 12:00:06 PM »

The word 'weird' does not make me immediately think of Mike. The are others in line, ahead of him.

I disagree — Mike is definitely weird to me — maybe not the top of the list, but certainly higher than Bruce, Al, David, and Carl. Brian, and Mike himself, apparently agreed — check my sig below…  Grin

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx