gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 01:10:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 128586 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 24, 2012, 11:38:58 AM »

What other choice is there? The reunion had an end date. Venues booked the non-reunion group. Is the promoter to take a loss by sending a more expensive group for a smaller group contract or are the Boys supposed to take a loss? I don't really know how it works. I suppose they could do whatever they agreed/agree to do.

Again it's kind of all semantics, but the "50th Anniversary Tour" had a end date, not the "reunion." The "reunion" was kind of open ended apart from vague comments about either possibly doing more things after the tour or this being "one final time" (how long that "one final time" would be is open-ended too of course, one final time for five more years?).

As I've said elsewhere, Mike's own camp stated Mike chose to cancel the "Nutty Jerry's" show, so Mike can apparently cancel gigs if he really wants to (which may include some financial loss, we don't know). But the statement that set this all off did not read like "Mike and Bruce just have a few previously-scheduled engagements with their touring lineup." It wasn't a firm in never doing reunion stuff again either, but it seemed like a "forseeable future" sort of statement to me.
I think your pushing the Reunion/50th Anniv. Tour point here, but 6 months down the line, the guys can have a change of heart. What Al said then and how he feels at the end of the tour, surely could and did change. Same with Brian & David. It is cool that this late in life and career that they can be a band again.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 24, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

It is quite likely that Brian wants to do the album with Mike anyway. They should write and record the whole thing in a month.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 24, 2012, 11:40:47 AM »

Mike just wants the old Wilson/Love credit back.

I'd love to see them work together on a full album again

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: September 24, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »

Sure. I understand him somehwat. But to have the credit doesn't mean it'll be good. As someone else mentioned in this thread somewhere, Mike now has to deliver. He can't come up with another "spring vacation, good vibration".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 24, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »

He and Brian can do anything they want, they owe us nothing. But they do owe each other a great album. And some people love Spring Vacation.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: September 24, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »

Brian on the radio just now: "I don't really know what kind of rock n' roll. Something with rhythm and a beat."

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 24, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »

Sure. I understand him somehwat. But to have the credit doesn't mean it'll be good. As someone else mentioned in this thread somewhere, Mike now has to deliver. He can't come up with another "spring vacation, good vibration".
I wish somebody would tell Mike to push himself when writing Lyrics and not fall into the lazy writing mold he has used for 30 years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 24, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »

Mike's post only came about because of the pressure applied by Brian, Al, and Dave. He had no choice but to respond after the negative PR firestorm.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 24, 2012, 12:22:11 PM »

Even between classes I had to check in, and I am glad I did to see this important development; this is mike's way of saying, "yeah, we are still together."  Heard SV on the way to work (played it, I should say) and it's a great reunion song, rockin' with jaunty piano, ass in the grass grove, great group harmonies, and lyrics that fit playfully and perfectly into the music (hat tip to our brother above) and into the reunion theme. I sang it all the way to school.  BIM needs remastering and re-recording: make Dave 10 times louder.

The problem is that they now need to break new ground. They have written the best songs in pop music history on many topics and now need to see what is left, thematically and artistically, to compose.  They need ideas to shape songs around as they did for Do it again so long ago.

on being cool: IGA

on lost love: WOTS
on our home and its joys: CG
on school innocence and celebration of youth: FFF

this list can go on  and spans the decades.  Now it's time for them to sit down and figure what sort of statement they want to make; what are you thinking Mike; what are you feeling Brian. Make it happen; get Al on rhythym; think of Dave''s many skills in composition and genres of guitar; strap the ol bass on Bruce and mak ehim play some piano. Work with the old and new skills and insights that you all now have. Dave is the serious asset; he can play anything and unites the past sounds with any new aspects of composition they might want to explore; he can range freely across sytle and . . . . .

OK, you pick it up from here--got to work.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »

Mike's post only came about because of the pressure applied by Brian, Al, and Dave. He had no choice but to respond after the negative PR firestorm.

Or...maybe they actually sat down and talked about it.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 24, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »

Or...maybe they actually sat down and talked about it.

But isn't this Facebook quote just a REPEAT of MIke's very recent statement that he would like to do another Beach Boys' album if he could write songs with Brian. I don't have the exact quote (the previous one) in front of me, but I don't think Mike ever said that he wanted or demanded to write EVERY new song with Brian.

And, I still think "Spring Vacation" is one of the best songs on the album. I get a good feeling every time I listen to it. A good feeling.
adloc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 24, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »

They sounded in good spirits TOGETHER at the pre-BBC concert interview..... Grin
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 24, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »

What other choice is there? The reunion had an end date. Venues booked the non-reunion group. Is the promoter to take a loss by sending a more expensive group for a smaller group contract or are the Boys supposed to take a loss? I don't really know how it works. I suppose they could do whatever they agreed/agree to do.

Again it's kind of all semantics, but the "50th Anniversary Tour" had a end date, not the "reunion." The "reunion" was kind of open ended apart from vague comments about either possibly doing more things after the tour or this being "one final time" (how long that "one final time" would be is open-ended too of course, one final time for five more years?).

As I've said elsewhere, Mike's own camp stated Mike chose to cancel the "Nutty Jerry's" show, so Mike can apparently cancel gigs if he really wants to (which may include some financial loss, we don't know). But the statement that set this all off did not read like "Mike and Bruce just have a few previously-scheduled engagements with their touring lineup." It wasn't a firm in never doing reunion stuff again either, but it seemed like a "forseeable future" sort of statement to me.

I don't know. Rolling Stone and Nutty Jerry's statement make it sound like Nutty Jerry's cancelled it because it wasn't the reunion group.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: September 24, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »

I don't know. Rolling Stone and Nutty Jerry's statement make it sound like Nutty Jerry's cancelled it because it wasn't the reunion group.

In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter, but this is what the LA Times article states:

"The shift in the touring lineup also has caused some confusion outside the group itself. Texas club Nutty Jerry's had booked a Beach Boys show, which has since been canceled. Love's manager Jay Jones said it was Love's decision to halt the show because it was being inaccurately promoted as part of the reunion tour with the original members."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 24, 2012, 01:22:04 PM »

The Beach Boys don't deserve these drama queens they have for fans.

No, wait. They do.

But this era of immediate information is killing us, seriously.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: September 24, 2012, 01:22:20 PM »

How about this?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/al-jardine-urges-beach-boys-fans-to-petition-to-keep-reunion-tour-alive-20120924

Al Jardine Urges Beach Boys Fans to Petition to Keep Reunion Tour Alive

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 24, 2012, 01:25:47 PM »

"We know" Al and Dave don't run their Facebook pages? says who? do you think some nerd in an office gets paid ten dollars an hour to update Al and Dave's facebook? I'd be really surprised.

I'd say so, since "Al" just posted the petition again on his FB page while the real Al is onstage in London.......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 24, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »

"We know" Al and Dave don't run their Facebook pages? says who? do you think some nerd in an office gets paid ten dollars an hour to update Al and Dave's facebook? I'd be really surprised.

I'd say so, since "Al" just posted the petition again on his FB page while the real Al is onstage in London.......

There's a delay on the concert, because how could our board member present return from the gig whilst they were playing the last song?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 24, 2012, 01:29:55 PM »

In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter, but this is what the LA Times article states:

"The shift in the touring lineup also has caused some confusion outside the group itself. Texas club Nutty Jerry's had booked a Beach Boys show, which has since been canceled. Love's manager Jay Jones said it was Love's decision to halt the show because it was being inaccurately promoted as part of the reunion tour with the original members."

The full group is back, so I think the demand is for full group or no group at all.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 24, 2012, 01:32:55 PM »

F*cking instagram.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 24, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »

How about this?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/al-jardine-urges-beach-boys-fans-to-petition-to-keep-reunion-tour-alive-20120924

Al Jardine Urges Beach Boys Fans to Petition to Keep Reunion Tour Alive

Hilarious

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 24, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »

The full group is back, so I think the demand is for full group or no group at all.
You most likely nailed it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: September 24, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

"The Smile Sessions"-account is posting the petition now as well...

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 24, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »

The Beach Boys can't make a single move without Rolling Stone and NME reporting it..

That petition article is so ridiculous

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: September 24, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »

The Beach Boys can't make a single move without Rolling Stone and NME reporting it..

That petition article is so ridiculous

No.2: right

No.1: that's not too bad.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx