gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680891 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 03:31:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lei'd In Hawaii  (Read 15400 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »

Come on, dudes. It's a forum. Lighten the hell up and stop being shits to each other. I am obviously interested in rational discourse and chatting facts (when i remember them correctly), but i also come here because I enjoy chatting with people who share my passion for Mike Love's shiny bald head. Let's keep it cool.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »

Come on, dudes. It's a forum. Lighten the hell up and stop being fecess to each other. I am obviously interested in rational discourse and chatting facts (when i remember them correctly), but i also come here because I enjoy chatting with people who share my passion for Mike Love's shiny bald head. Let's keep it cool.

I think that's why Mike wears hats

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jason
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 04:39:14 PM »

Yeah folks, let's be cool, calm down, and take a few steps away from the internet. Let's all go out and give some lucky f*cker a piping hot clam chowder enema!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »

Politician or musician?

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »

Politician or musician?

Politicians really like getting stuff for doing nothing... So musician.

No mas, por favor.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »

:D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »

Yeah folks, let's be cool, calm down, and take a few steps away from the internet. Let's all go out and give some lucky phucker a piping hot clam chowder enema!

Yes!!! Nobody likes an ice cold clam chowder enema (at least not that I know of)......
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »

As far as the plea for rational and intelligent discourse is concerned: might I remind us all who we're here to discuss???

Perhaps we've only learned from the masters  Razz

And AGD, would you consider referring to Mike as "Myke" an example of text-speak or troll-speak?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »

And AGD, would you consider referring to Mike as "Myke" an example of text-speak or troll-speak?

I would. At the very least, Mad Magazine-speak.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 11:00:14 PM »

I hate to go off topic( Roll Eyes  Grin), but I have a question. The Real Beach Boy mentioned that one of the Hawaii recordings that circulates is incomplete because of a tape change. Is it known what song(s) were not recorded?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2011, 11:02:02 PM »

Well, assuming they didn't perform anything after Barbara Ann, the tape of the 8/26 show ends about 35 seconds into Barbara Ann. As it was a mobile recording unit which the band brought with them, I doubt the Boys had access to two tape decks to record off of. The mobile recording unit, the Baldwin organ, the band's gear, PLUS the long flight...let's just say it's amazing that the gigs were ever recorded. I would have told Brian to either nix the organ or bring something more portable like Bruce was doing in 1966 into May of 1967. By all accounts the mobile recording unit was a pig to travel with.

If Steve Desper is still around, I wonder if he has any thoughts about that mobile rig they took with them. We know it was built by Wally Heider, of course.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:07:51 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2011, 11:35:06 PM »

... and if you're going to post in this forum, please use English and not txt spk.  We have standards.

If my regard for accuracy somehow offends you, NMP.

As a non-native English speaker, may I politely ask what the abbreviation "NMP" stands for?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »

The sound quality isn't the greatest for those shows (especially the first night), but I've always figured they were left unreleased because of the slightly drugged-out nature of the performances and the annoying crowd noises that plague both shows.  The first live album has girls screaming at the top of their lungs, but it's basically just cacophonous background noise that can be tuned out and doesn't diminish the overall performances.  The stuff like the girl shouting Carl's name throughout God Only Knows basically made that recording unfit for commercial release, and similar stuff is present on the other songs to varying degrees.

I do think they could have released the Heider sessions as a sort of Beach Boys version of "Let It Be".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2011, 11:41:35 PM »

I've always wondered what the "technical issues" were with the recordings. Is that phrase used as a way to excuse the audience noise, or were there really technical flaws in the recording, like bad microphones, poor amp connection causing "buzzing", etc?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Nicko1234
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2011, 01:14:44 AM »

... and if you're going to post in this forum, please use English and not txt spk.  We have standards.

If my regard for accuracy somehow offends you, NMP.

As a non-native English speaker, may I politely ask what the abbreviation "NMP" stands for?

Not my problem?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2011, 01:39:57 AM »

As far as the plea for rational and intelligent discourse is concerned: might I remind us all who we're here to discuss???

I'd consider that as the poster being a complete f*ckwit.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 01:44:23 AM »

Well, assuming they didn't perform anything after Barbara Ann, the tape of the 8/26 show ends about 35 seconds into Barbara Ann. As it was a mobile recording unit which the band brought with them, I doubt the Boys had access to two tape decks to record off of. The mobile recording unit, the Baldwin organ, the band's gear, PLUS the long flight...let's just say it's amazing that the gigs were ever recorded. I would have told Brian to either nix the organ or bring something more portable like Bruce was doing in 1966 into May of 1967. By all accounts the mobile recording unit was a pig to travel with.

If Steve Desper is still around, I wonder if he has any thoughts about that mobile rig they took with them. We know it was built by Wally Heider, of course.

For the Hawaii gigs, they hired 3M 8-tracks from Wally Heider - there's an interesting article on the WH site about the whole thing written by one of the engineers. As for the Baldwin... Brian insisted it made the trip.

And I apologise profusely for the entirely factual content of the preceding sentence: to those who find such things distasteful, may I suggest you don't read anything with my name on it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 05:14:35 AM »

Seems to me that the 25/08/67 pre-concert rehearsals would be worthy of a larger audience if Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring, Good Vibrations and Surfer Girl are anything to go by.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2011, 06:20:28 AM »

One could gather that your 8200 posts here would constitute somewhat of an extreme excess in sitting a good part of your day-hence the expanded girth I suppose. Hello
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2011, 09:06:56 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFITa9eYoQ&feature=related

Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2011, 09:16:31 AM »

Is AGD in there somewhere?

Jason
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »

One could gather that your 8200 posts here would constitute somewhat of an extreme excess in sitting a good part of your day-hence the expanded girth I suppose. Hello

Take it to PMs, please.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2011, 09:42:52 AM »

Is AGD in there somewhere?

And speaking of poo stirrers.  No names here, but Bgas is uh........he likes to uh.......well, you know.  Tongue

I'll take it to PM.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »

It has to be pointed out that the mobile equipment shipped to Hawaii to record those shows was apparently the finest and most technically advanced mobile recording equipment and setup you could find for hire in 1967. The engineers were highly skilled and experienced, the gear from Wally Heider was top of the line as he all but cornered the mobile recording rental/for-hire business in the 60's since he was so damned good at what he did. And if you see photos or still shots of the control room, they even had a TV monitor set up to watch the action on the stage - whereas many mobile operations consisted of the engineers sitting in a plain truck outside the venue.

So I never bought into the "technical difficulties" line, I always thought it was used to cover the poor quality of the performances and the songs - which just wouldn't cut it for a wide, full-concert live release. Which is why they tried to re-record them anyway. If there *were* technical issues, does anyone hear them on the tapes? Or do we hear something the band was hoping exceeded their notions of what they had just played over the course of 2 shows and fell short when they heard the playbacks?

Again, that's not knowing the full story - maybe there was a bad mic somewhere or a tape issue but with Heider's crew and top-of-the-line gear on hand, how would they muck up not only one but TWO live show recordings due to tech issues?

Answer is, they (Heider's crew) probably didn't.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2011, 05:32:28 PM »

Could somebody please PM me where I might find the best/most complete version of Lei'd? That has both the live and studio stuff together? I've only ever heard the latter...thanks in advance...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx