gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681074 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 07:18:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: History of Mike's reputation  (Read 77116 times)
Wilsonista
« Reply #300 on: January 14, 2010, 07:36:08 PM »

Brian chose to take drugs...... by the boatload

Guess what? Drug use doesn't cause mental illness.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 14, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »

I think we have a problem with the notion of 'Brian knowing what he's doing' after '67. Because very often this notion changes according to who we want him to be and our agenda about the band's saga.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #302 on: January 14, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »

Mentally ill folks do take all kinds of drugs for "self-medication". Very common.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »

17 days and 15 pages later I’m going to throw my two bobs worth into the mix:

Firstly, for many years, I’ve had little respect for Mike but about a year ago I started to reassess my opinion, primarily because of a number of posts on this board. I dug deep, acknowledged within myself that Mike did make some worthwhile contributions to the Beach Boy’s artistic legacy, but, no matter how I tried, I could no rationalise many of Mike’s actions over the years.

Mike is the sum of his parts and his catalogue of ill advised comments and actions (if he ever took any independent advice) backed with a canon of some truly awful recordings, while championing his own credentials makes it very difficult to have any empathy or sympathy for the man. Without that empathy or sympathy it’s very difficult to cut him any slack when he steps over the line that aggravates many fans of the band. For every All This Is That, Let The Wind Blow or Big Sur there is a catalogue of misdemeanours and truly atrocious songs and recordings.

I’ve sat down, weighed the good and the bad of Mike and Brian and I reason that Mike is at best, at the very best, 5% the talent of Brian and frankly that’s just not enough to sing his attributes from the roof top.

What worries me about this thread and many of the previous Mike threads is that they cross the line and try to rewrite the band’s history and credit Mike with more than he deserves, it almost feels like I’m in some sort of zealous, extreme right, conservative Christian, flat earth, creationist, revival meeting that counters ever value and iota of knowledge I posses.  (My apologies to 99% of the global Christian faith who I do not count in that assessment).

Simple: Brian’s a screw up, Mike’s a screw up and in my own way I am the same. I can live with it.
Wilsonista
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »

I’ve sat down, weighed the good and the bad of Mike and Brian and I reason that Mike is at best, at the very best, 5% the talent of Brian and frankly that’s just not enough to sing his attributes from the roof top.

What worries me about this thread and many of the previous Mike threads is that they cross the line and try to rewrite the band’s history and credit Mike with more than he deserves, it almost feels like I’m in some sort of zealous, extreme right, conservative Christian, flat earth, creationist, revival meeting that counters ever value and iota of knowledge I posses.  (My apologies to 99% of the global Christian faith who I do not count in that assessment).

Thank you, Tony.  Honestly, I feel and have felt exactly the way you do.  I always felt it odd that a site that was originally devoted to the lore of SMiLE that Mike would generate more sympathy than Brian.  Totally baffling to me, but then again George W. Bush got to serve 2 terms as US president.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2010, 08:19:42 PM »

Brian Wilson is the cause of Brian Wilson's problems.
Thank you very much for telling the truth once in a while. I'm extremely glad that we have someone like you as a moderator. I love this Message Board.

Wilsonista
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »

Brian Wilson is the cause of Brian Wilson's problems.
Thank you very much for telling the truth once in a while. I'm extremely glad that we have someone like you as a moderator. I love this Message Board.

Funny how people who say the Brianista POV is "simplistic" offer up simplistic bullshit like "Brian Wilson is the cause of Brian Wilson's problems". 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2010, 08:35:52 PM »

I'm assuming he's joking.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 14, 2010, 08:36:55 PM »

What worries me about this thread and many of the previous Mike threads is that they cross the line and try to rewrite the band’s history and credit Mike with more than he deserves, it almost feels like I’m in some sort of zealous, extreme right, conservative Christian, flat earth, creationist, revival meeting that counters ever value and iota of knowledge I posses.  (My apologies to 99% of the global Christian faith who I do not count in that assessment).
Nailed it Tony, Rob as well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:38:49 PM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: January 14, 2010, 08:39:14 PM »

Guess what? Drug use doesn't cause mental illness.

Tell that to my friend Keith's family. He rode home on a bike from a Grateful Dead concert in 90 degree weather, saw some cops and decided to hide his sheets of acid between his sock and his bare leg...... He's been in a mental ward ever since.
Wilsonista
« Reply #310 on: January 14, 2010, 08:39:59 PM »

I don't think he is.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 14, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »

Well, then, all I can say is no one is responsible for his problems but him! Roll Eyes

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: January 14, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »

This "Mike Love-rs" rewriting The Beach Boys history" argument makes me laugh considering how "unbiased" the "official" Beach Boys history has been for the past 40+ years!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:44:16 PM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: January 14, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »

Ok, so, being one of the guilty myself, can we please come up with an official term for us Love Lovers, Lovers Of Love, Lovesters, Make Mike-Not-Love-ers, Mike Love-Not-Brian-ers? Razz
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 14, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »

erik, do you subscribe to this entertaining new theory that Brian caused his own mental illness? Also, what is the official Beach Boys history?  Where can I find it?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:48:28 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 14, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »

Ok, so, being one of the guilty myself, can we please come up with an official term for us Love Lovers, Lovers Of Love, Lovesters, Make Mike-Not-Love-ers, Mike Love-Not-Brian-ers? Razz
Victims of Love?

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Wilsonista
« Reply #316 on: January 14, 2010, 08:50:48 PM »

Baseball Cap Martyrs.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 14, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »

I've got it:

Kokomites.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2010, 08:56:41 PM »

Victims Of Love is great, but Don Henley might sue!

I don't subscribe to any theory other than what I can discern by examining The Beach Boys recorded and live work. David Leaf, Dominic Priore, and others have ammased lovely tomes that worship (correctly) at the feet of Brian but at the expense of the others who have greatly contributed to the wonder that is The Beach Boys. Now, I'm an odd case perhaps because I love EVERTYTHING The Beach Boys have ever done (or everything not entitled "Problem Child") ... Puts me in a weird camp, I know. But I almost innocently can't understand and the bile spewed in Mike's direction. I love the guy and his talent, his voice, his lyrics, him as a frontman. Even his awful fashion. He's about 40% of why The Beach Boys are my favorite band. Brian is the other 40%. Carl, Dennis, Al and (yes) Bruce share the remaining 20%. Carl gets more love as simply being my favorite singer of all time.

This is all just one fan's perspective! But this board is for all of us!  Razz
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:58:41 PM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »

Ok, Kokomites is grand!!!!!!!!!!! Done deal!  Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2010, 08:58:58 PM »

You know this has been one of the most often discussed topics on these message boards and it may be simplistic but to me Brians situation is a unfortunate childhood, immense pressure as a young musician, drug use, more pressure to create, come backs etc. Throw into the mix a probable mental condition (about the only thing he or others couldn't predict or control within reason) and he was bound to crack.

Blaming Mike, Landy, drugs or whatever individually is too easy IMO when a combination of all of the above is the cause.    
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:09:41 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »

yea I am, but not exactly at the expense of our beloved Global Moderator.  Cheesy

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »

Ok, Kokomites is grand!!!!!!!!!!! Done deal!  Grin

Cool!

I have them for breakfast most days myself.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2010, 09:02:31 PM »

I suggest 'Love Campers'.

KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: January 14, 2010, 09:04:13 PM »

Koko-mo-fos?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx