gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681003 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 06:40:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun, the hypothetical album  (Read 4344 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2007, 03:22:34 PM »

If there is an album this (or early next) year to go with That Lucky Old Sun, what might we expect it to contain?

TLOS is, what, 3-5 musical segments (I forget, and think I've heard multiple numbers anyway) with narratives, and so probably 15-20 minutes long? Midnight's Another Day is part of it, as is the title song.

There could be:
Live Let Live
What Love Can Do

Previously mentioned (last September, when news of an upcoming album bounced around):
Oxygen to the Brain
I'm Goin' Home
A Message Man
Wonderin' What You're Up to Now
Proud Mary

Have there been other rumors or one-offs out there that we might reasonably expect there? You don't think he'd reuse Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll or Walking Down the Path of Life, do you?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »

Incorrect assumption. According to the press release:

"Brian Wilson teamed with Van Dyke Parks, his old ‘sidekick’ and lyricist behind Smile, over the past year on the narratives for a new album. The piece features ten songs and five narratives which will be interrupted by That Lucky Old Sun, the narrator telling the story. The five narratives are cameos on life and the heartbeat of Los Angeles."

So, in other words, Luck Old Sun, could be a 15-track album. 10 songs, 5 spoken word segments. That sounds like an album-length project. I would very much doubt "Live Let Live" is part of it, given that LLL is specifically about global warming, for a film addressing the topic.

"Goin Home" is a Paley sessions era song. Likewise, "Wonderin' What You're Up To Now" has been floating around awhile.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:46:36 PM »

Well, I wasn't assuming, I was guessing and asking. But thanks for that info about TLOS. I haven't read the press release (obviously, I suppose).

As for when Goin Home dates from, I wasn't debating that. I was just noting that a song titled "I'm Goin' Home" (be it the same or not) was mentioned in a story last fall as being considered for a BW album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 05:14:04 PM »

If there is an album this (or early next) year to go with That Lucky Old Sun, what might we expect it to contain?

TLOS is, what, 3-5 musical segments (I forget, and think I've heard multiple numbers anyway) with narratives, and so probably 15-20 minutes long? Midnight's Another Day is part of it, as is the title song.

There could be:
Live Let Live
What Love Can Do

Previously mentioned (last September, when news of an upcoming album bounced around):
Oxygen to the Brain
I'm Goin' Home
A Message Man
Wonderin' What You're Up to Now
Proud Mary

Have there been other rumors or one-offs out there that we might reasonably expect there? You don't think he'd reuse Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll or Walking Down the Path of Life, do you?
Perhaps it would be best if you waited for the reviews of the performance and the official release of the cd-don't worry. it won't be too much longer-
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 05:18:40 PM »

But speculating becomes annoyingly easy and significantly less fun after the fact...

oldsurferdude
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 07:53:49 PM »

But speculating becomes annoyingly easy and significantly less fun after the fact...
Why speculate at all? What's the point?? It's gonna be what it is-mothing more, nothing less-you're commenting on something you know nothing about-let it be until its released.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 07:58:42 PM »

Why speculate? The same reason people speculated on Smile for 37 years: for fun.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 08:44:06 PM »

Luther: I'm absolutely with you. I didn't mean to be brusque before. Part of the fun is the speculation.

That being said, I would be disappointed if there are too many familiar (to fans) songs in "Lucky Old Sun." Part of the magic of MAD is that it's a melody I genuinely haven't heard before.
XY
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 11:46:45 PM »

...and the heartbeat of Los Angeles.

Cool, so there's a chance that the SMILE-outtake "Smog (in LA)" will finally be released!
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 01:36:57 PM »

does anyone know when this album will be released? or will brian and van dyke parks will say the album is too ahead of its time and release it few years later Roll Eyes
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 01:52:15 PM »

I don't think there's any deal for an album yet.

I think BW and his folks are waiting to see how LOS goes over.

Apparently Brian is also recording more pop songs for a separate project.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 04:16:03 PM »

Well if Mike doesn't like it....they should shelve it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 04:26:23 PM »

Well he is the positivity. The fun. That part was him. :-/
XY
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 12:40:45 AM »

I don't think there's any deal for an album yet.

I think BW and his folks are waiting to see how LOS goes over.

Apparently Brian is also recording more pop songs for a separate project.

To answer this in Brian's words:

"If the crowd reacts really well to it, then we'll know we're on to something good," he said. "If they don't respond, we won't record it."

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070810/ENT02/708100462
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 08:51:20 AM »

Im not sure this is a logical way to decide on whether something should be recorded.  I guess Rite of Spring would never have been recorded if Stravinsi had accepted the public's response to its' first performance, would it?  And a hall full of Brianistas is hardly the place to go for a sense of how the record buying public in general will respond.  Brian should feel it's either good or it's not, and record it or not.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »

I wouldn't assume Brian's responses to an interviewer represent anything close to a true plan. He has hardly been reliable in that regard in the past.

What's more, that particular story doesn't strike me as tremendously reliable, either, considering it references Brian being infamously known for Smile being unreleased until 2005, names his wife Linda and mentions the births of his two daughters, Daria and Delaine. [Obviously, that should be 2004; Melinda; and Daria, Delanie and Dylan.]

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 12:23:01 AM »

does anyone know when this album will be released? or will brian and van dyke parks will say the album is too ahead of its time and release it few years later Roll Eyes

Or 37 years later...  Cool
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx