gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 06:00:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Midnight's Another Day  (Read 27695 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2007, 12:09:42 AM »

I agree that there are hints of Carl in his voice

I can definitely imagine Carl singing the line "A Flag without the wind".

The bit where I can really hear that it's a demo is when he's echoing lines like "chapters missing, pages torn". I think some of his new band backing vocals could make this song magnificent but I do hope they keep the relatively sparse sound that the demo has at the moment. The Flugelhorn or whatever is beautiful.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2007, 01:33:15 AM »

All things being equal, that vocal is still cleaner than anything he did on IJWMFTT, Orange Crate Art or GIOMH. And I like those albums!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2007, 04:59:47 AM »

Wonder if this represents then his untouched voice in the studio?  If it's just a demo (and it obviously has imperfections in the lead) maybe he didn't use autotune? 
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2007, 06:48:32 AM »

Uh-oh……Perhaps the official, fully-produced recordings of the project will fail to meet the hopes and expectations inspired by the demo?  Which will leave us praying for the release/circulation of the other That Lucky Old Sun demos (assuming they exist)?

Sure, I’m getting way ahead of myself……but is it SO difficult to foresee this scenario? Wink

Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2007, 06:49:27 AM »

I think all of us enjoy or have views on certain demos and unreleased recordings. I'm just bringing back that fact that I think is being pushed aside somewhat in the rush to praise (yet another of?) Brian's comebacks. I like the song, and I like the demo. But it might end up being another should've/could've been, that's all.

Point well taken! But the post-Smile output from Brian has been a cut above most of what immediately preceeded it IMHO. WIRWFC, Christmasey, WDTPOL, What Love Can Do, and now this - I see it in a very positive light. No, it won't be the 1960s again (and maybe it shouldn't be), but clearly this is a move in the right direction. I think in the context of post-Smile this demo deserves the praise its getting as yet another indication that Brian can indeed make music that moves people.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2007, 07:04:36 AM »

Uh-oh……Perhaps the official, fully-produced recordings of the project will fail to meet the hopes and expectations inspired by the demo?  Which will leave us praying for the release/circulation of the other That Lucky Old Sun demos (assuming they exist)?

Sure, I’m getting way ahead of myself……but is it SO difficult to foresee this scenario? Wink

Well, if Brian messes too much with this version of MAD, at least we will still have this demo in good sound quality...  Smiley

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2007, 07:23:34 AM »

Wonder if this represents then his untouched voice in the studio?  If it's just a demo (and it obviously has imperfections in the lead) maybe he didn't use autotune? 
Oh, his voice is processed.  I don't hear any auto-tune, and I am not sure what they used, but there is definitely some sort of time shifting thing going on, as well as plenty of digital reverb.  I think it sounds great, though.  I really don't think they should mess with it too much, but of course who am I to suggest what should or should not be done with someone else's song.  Sure, there are a few things that could be tightened up, but on this recording, on this song, Brian's lead is fantastic.  Yeah, it's imperfect.  In fact, it's perfect in it's imperfection.  I listened to this song in my car about five times last night.  I couldn't get enough.  Whether this recording remains a demo (even though it was 'released' on Brian's website), or is used on an eventual release of That Lucky Old Sun (which may or may not happen), we have this recording now to listen to forever.  If they re-record the tune, and put in a bunch of strings or bass harmonicas or vibes or whatever, then we'll have that version, too.  But we will still have this aural document of a Brian Wilson that was engaged, interested, and singing with as much emotion and passion as I've heard from him in a long time.  The lyrics have come from the pen of Scott Bennett, just as most of Pet Sounds lyrics came from the pen of Tony Asher, but the sentiment in this song, as in the Pet Sounds material, is pure Brian Wilson.  I found myself crying like a baby as I listened last night...the first time Brian sings 'All these voices'...the break after 'I had to chase the sun' where all of the sudden there's the Beach Boys style vocals, the tinkley bells of the Glockenspiel, the sleigh bells, as if Brian were remembering the glory days...then everything goes dark again and we're back to 'All these voices'...until the final glorious crescendo to 'Make me feel so alone'...wow.  I can't imagine how anyone who knows of Brian's past and present struggles would not be moved just a little bit by this 'demo'.  I hope I get to hear the whole piece someday, and I'm pretty sure I will, but if I am not that fortunate, I still have this recording of Midnight's Another Day to enjoy for the rest of my listening days.
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2007, 08:09:47 AM »

Johnny Cash's voice for 'Hurt' was far from perfect as well.  But it still made for one hell of a song.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2007, 09:29:47 AM »

Oh, his voice is processed.  I don't hear any auto-tune, and I am not sure what they used, but there is definitely some sort of time shifting thing going on, as well as plenty of digital reverb.  I think it sounds great, though.  I really don't think they should mess with it too much, but of course who am I to suggest what should or should not be done with someone else's song.  Sure, there are a few things that could be tightened up, but on this recording, on this song, Brian's lead is fantastic.  Yeah, it's imperfect.  In fact, it's perfect in it's imperfection.  I listened to this song in my car about five times last night.  I couldn't get enough.  Whether this recording remains a demo (even though it was 'released' on Brian's website), or is used on an eventual release of That Lucky Old Sun (which may or may not happen), we have this recording now to listen to forever.  If they re-record the tune, and put in a bunch of strings or bass harmonicas or vibes or whatever, then we'll have that version, too.  But we will still have this aural document of a Brian Wilson that was engaged, interested, and singing with as much emotion and passion as I've heard from him in a long time.  The lyrics have come from the pen of Scott Bennett, just as most of Pet Sounds lyrics came from the pen of Tony Asher, but the sentiment in this song, as in the Pet Sounds material, is pure Brian Wilson.  I found myself crying like a baby as I listened last night...the first time Brian sings 'All these voices'...the break after 'I had to chase the sun' where all of the sudden there's the Beach Boys style vocals, the tinkley bells of the Glockenspiel, the sleigh bells, as if Brian were remembering the glory days...then everything goes dark again and we're back to 'All these voices'...until the final glorious crescendo to 'Make me feel so alone'...wow.  I can't imagine how anyone who knows of Brian's past and present struggles would not be moved just a little bit by this 'demo'.  I hope I get to hear the whole piece someday, and I'm pretty sure I will, but if I am not that fortunate, I still have this recording of Midnight's Another Day to enjoy for the rest of my listening days.

Hey great post!

I'm not one to praise everything BW puts out, in fact I got the new Xmas album he did and took it back as it wasn't really my cup of tea.
I've found myself listening to this song again and again though - I do find it to be as beautiful in parts as other favourites of mine such as The Night Was So Young. It just transports me to another place in a way that only a BW tune can - that "no shades of grey" bit is just outstanding. And the little doo doo doo break. I think the man's on form and can't wait to hear the other Lucky Sun stuff.

At the risk of sounding naiive, surely with the team he has around him at the moment - Darian and all that, the chances of them wrecking this are slim?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »

Well sure, the band won't wreck it. But who knows how interested and engaged Brian will stay with the project? I mean, one of his best unreleased vocals is on the original version of "Gettin' in Over My Head" (the song). It's marvelous. The released version does not sport one of his best vocals. It's not awful, indeed it's pretty good, but there's a certain something missing.

I think that's the fear some are expressing. I don't know if I share in that fear, but I understand it. Brian and consistency are mortal enemies. But that's part of what makes him so interesting.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2007, 12:18:08 PM »

Johnny Cash's voice for 'Hurt' was far from perfect as well.  But it still made for one hell of a song.

I just watched that video lst night with my wife and it still blows me away.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2007, 03:03:50 PM »

Yeah, Johnny Cash went out great.  I hope Brian accepts his voice and uses it to his advantage as it ages and gets more weary... look @ how Willie Nelson is like 10 times the singer he once was. 
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2007, 07:43:27 PM »

I listened to this song in my car about five times last night. 

You have the internet in your car?

Has someone recorded the stream and turned it into an mp3? If so, I would be super-greatful to get a copy... Wink

For what its worth, the song is fab, with only a few too many background parts in it from Brian, though he has shown an admirable restraint in this area.

The horns are almost certainly samples or emulations - you can do wonders with virtual instruments these days, and they'er ok with me.

I've never stopped believing that BW had it in him to do great things, rather than just good things that are slightly embrassing.

Rolll on September the 10th (I'll be there!) Smiley

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2007, 08:24:55 PM »

Someone care to email a copy of the demo to me?  Obviously I could spend weeks trying to figure out how to snag it from the site (not my cup of tea), but would rather have some kind soul email to me.  My email address: chadzwo@myway.com.

Thanks!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2007, 11:30:03 PM »

Someone care to email a copy of the demo to me?  Obviously I could spend weeks trying to figure out how to snag it from the site (not my cup of tea), but would rather have some kind soul email to me.  My email address: chadzwo@myway.com.

Thanks!
Uhh....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2007, 02:28:37 AM »

Thanks!

I've spent a couple of years trying to become a "pro" with the World Wide Web, so I could for example record audio streams such as this one.  Tongue

But FYI the track is floating around...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 02:31:42 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
XY
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2007, 11:43:18 PM »

Rolling Stone about the Midnight-track, although the roses should be given to Scott B. instead of Van Dyke P. of course:

Wilson and Van Dyke Parks pick up where Smile left off

Three years after resurrecting their 1967 magnum opus, Smile, Brian Wilson and lyricist Van Dyke Parks set out to prove they are still capable of creating beautiful music together. This gorgeous piano ballad - a track from their forthcoming three-part suite "That Lucky Old Sun ( A Narrative)", streaming off Wilson's site - invokes the heartbreaking yearning of Beach Boys classics like "I Wasn't Made For These Times" and "'Till I Die". Wilson's voice is nowhere near as sugary-sweet as it was in those days, which makes vulnerable lines like "All these people make me feel so alone" all the more poignant. If the rest of the album matches up, we could be looking at Brian's strongest new work in years.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »

Wow! That is a pretty glowing write-up.... No pressure Brian... No pressure...  LOL
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2007, 01:35:17 PM »

Thanks!

I've spent a couple of years trying to become a "pro" with the World Wide Web, so I could for example record audio streams such as this one.  Tongue

But FYI the track is floating around...

May I suggest "WM Recorder 11" Works very well at ripping streaming audio or video from any webpage. Worked for me with Midnight's Another day, brian's bio video and the Getting In Over My Head promo video.
Wilsonista
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »

This is quite lovely.  Oddly enough, it's reminding me of Elton's Someone Saved My Life Tonight.  If this is just a "demo", I'd say leave it - it's strong enough as it is.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2007, 06:21:53 AM »

As for the piano part:  Scott Bennett posted over @ the blueboard and said that he's recorded 18 songs with Brian, Scott played piano on this song, and one other, and Brian played "Beautiful, layered piano" on the other 16.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2007, 08:48:24 AM »

I mentioned on Susan's site that this music reminds me of John Williams soundtrack material,  somehow.

Possibly some of the Home Alone instrumental tracks and filler.

Anybody else feel/hear that?

Not to be misconstrued here, I really like the John Williams Home Alone soundtrack. 

Gershwin, Copeland, Williams..........Wilson.
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2007, 01:27:40 PM »

As for the piano part:  Scott Bennett posted over @ the blueboard and said that he's recorded 18 songs with Brian, Scott played piano on this song, and one other, and Brian played "Beautiful, layered piano" on the other 16.

Layered piano?  Brian's traditional style has always been the old "plunk, plunk, plunk" which I much prefer to the sweeping, grandoise sound on MAD.  Makes me wonder who wrote the "layered piano" that Brian plays on the other 16...

In my own opinion, the lyrics on MAD sound more to me like someone else's version of what /who/how Brian is/must be now and seem quite contrived (to me).  This song sounds flat out sad, where I usually find Brian's sad songs to be eloquently disguised under a cheerful, bouncing melody.

I have listened to this track a dozen times now and the only part of it that sounds anything like Brian (to me)is the background harmony arrangements, which I am sure was his only involvement on this track outside singing it.  If Brian must collaborate with someone else, why not VDP?  I really think it's time to cut the Wondermints loose and work with VDP or focus all attention on a Mike Love collaboration.  His gigs with Al really sparkled and you can almost see Brian re-inspired by the presence of another BB singing with him.  It would be a great move at this point in ALL of their careers and to the Legacy of the BB's.

While MAD is a very nice song, it doesn't sound like Brian (to me, anyway) and I will hold faith for the reminder of the Lucky Old Sun setlist to include some more Brian-esque style songs...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:34:04 PM by NightHider » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2007, 02:44:47 PM »

I really think it's time to cut the Wondermints loose and work with VDP or focus all attention on a Mike Love collaboration.  His gigs with Al really sparkled and you can almost see Brian re-inspired by the presence of another BB singing with him.  It would be a great move at this point in ALL of their careers and to the Legacy of the BB's.

After all, there's nothing better than half a dozen (depending on who is included) older men whose voices are mostly lost to the decades standing on stage (or sitting, in Brian's and probably Bruce's case) in Hawaiian shirts and mangling old songs. Oh, but it would be beautiful because they're the originals. That blend, see. The magic of it all. I literally couldn't care less about ever seeing such a thing. I'd rather that Brian adds whatever he can to whatever he wants--especially if those people can actually create and perform with some shred of credibility.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »

I really think it's time to cut the Wondermints loose and work with VDP or focus all attention on a Mike Love collaboration.  His gigs with Al really sparkled and you can almost see Brian re-inspired by the presence of another BB singing with him.  It would be a great move at this point in ALL of their careers and to the Legacy of the BB's.

After all, there's nothing better than half a dozen (depending on who is included) older men whose voices are mostly lost to the decades standing on stage (or sitting, in Brian's and probably Bruce's case) in Hawaiian shirts and mangling old songs. Oh, but it would be beautiful because they're the originals. That blend, see. The magic of it all. I literally couldn't care less about ever seeing such a thing. I'd rather that Brian adds whatever he can to whatever he wants--especially if those people can actually create and perform with some shred of credibility.

My sarcast-o-meter just went through the roof!  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx