gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 11:49:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke Parks' final "pianistic" performance?  (Read 2793 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »

https://twitter.com/thevandykeparks/status/570056784246734848

A little while ago in the course of his Twitter musings and meditations, Van Dyke announced that on May 2, he'll perform a free concert at the South Pasadena Public Library's auditorium. That in itself wouldn't be all that exceptional - he performed there two years ago.  But this occasion, VDP says, will mark his "last pianistic concert."

Which might be true.  Some time back VDP reported he was had suffered a hand injury and was undergoing surgery for it.  I thought the operation had taken care of the problem, but this suggests such isn't the case.

If Van Dyke really means this, then it marks a radical change in his career.  As far as I know he's been at a piano every time he's performed as a solo artist.  While he could continue as a strictly vocal frontman, it's still kind of hard to imagine.  Having seen him perform a half dozen times I can say - and I think YouTube abundantly attests - that his instrumental approach is so thoroughly tied in with his singing that it's kind of like trying to imagine Doctor John or Randy Newman never playing again.  Anyway, if you're in the LA area at that time, this sounds like a must-see.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »

It's sad, but it also sounds like something I don't want to miss. I think I can probably make it up there for this.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:02:01 PM »

That's quite saddening, but it makes me even more glad that I went to see him on Halloween 2010 on a whim.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:49 PM »

https://twitter.com/thevandykeparks/status/570056784246734848

A little while ago in the course of his Twitter musings and meditations, Van Dyke announced that on May 2, he'll perform a free concert at the South Pasadena Public Library's auditorium. That in itself wouldn't be all that exceptional - he performed there two years ago.  But this occasion, VDP says, will mark his "last pianistic concert."

Which might be true.

I hope not.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:20:21 PM »

It would be a very sad day if it is indeed his last piano performance

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »

A very sad day indeed. Cry

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 06:33:36 AM »

I'll never be able to see Van Dyke, just doesn't seem to be in the stars.   
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx