gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680909 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 02:57:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1064993 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: May 09, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »

I actually like American Spring's version the best.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: May 09, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »

If this album is a smash, what are the realistic chances they actually do a follow-up? I know Brian still wants to do his 'rock n' roll' album, and although there's no better time than now to make that a reality, there seem to be indications that "TWGMTR" is the perfect swan song.

If the album does well, I think they will definately make a follow up album.  Brian digs hits, and if he has a hit he won't be able to resist doing another one.  If Brian's down to do it, the others will do it definately. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2077 on: May 09, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »

Question for those who have heard the new cd.... are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka:save the day/fairytale, Christine/Living doll..etc?

Couldn't say, as I have heard no such CD.  Roll Eyes

Pedantry man, pedantry.

Question for those who've heard the advance review stream: are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka: Save The Day/Fairytale, Christine/Living Doll..etc?

Grin

My impression is, nothing recycled from previously circulating material.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2078 on: May 09, 2012, 10:32:45 PM »

As for Cali Feeling mentioned in the posts above, I agree, Al's version is by far the best to date. I can never get over the line "pick a grapefruit from a grapefruit tree" though. Must be one of the clunkiest in the BBs repertoire.

what the hell, I hate Al's version. the normal 70s with Carl singing is the best, followed by Brian's version on Classics Selected by Brian Wilson

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 09, 2012, 10:37:43 PM »

As for Cali Feeling mentioned in the posts above, I agree, Al's version is by far the best to date. I can never get over the line "pick a grapefruit from a grapefruit tree" though. Must be one of the clunkiest in the BBs repertoire.

what the hell, I hate Al's version. the normal 70s with Carl singing is the best, followed by Brian's version on Classics Selected by Brian Wilson

carl's doing that vocal thing where he sounds like he has a cold, and i've never liked that, it sounds better lower in the throat.  Al's voice and arrangement make the melody pop better than the original and definitely better than brian's. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 10, 2012, 02:10:35 AM »

Question for those who have heard the new cd.... are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka:save the day/fairytale, Christine/Living doll..etc?

Pedantry man, pedantry.

Question for those who've heard the advance review stream: are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka: Save The Day/Fairytale, Christine/Living Doll..etc?

Grin

That's quite an achievement for these guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian's had some of the melodies in his portfolio for a while, that' the nature of the guy, but for there to be nothing from PCM (previously circulating material) is gosh-darn cool.

“We live in divisive times.”
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 10, 2012, 02:37:23 AM »

What's wrong with the Classics version of California Feelin'?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:38:14 AM by Yorick » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 10, 2012, 07:07:51 AM »

Ditto. I quite like the "call and answer" arrangement he gave it.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 10, 2012, 07:57:08 AM »

Nothing.  I just don't think we need any more versions, particularly taking up space on a new album

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 10, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »

In terms of Beach Boys songs, it is one with the most unrealised potential - They never seemed to care about what could have been, produced right, one of their iconic tunes. I bet you if they'd released it on, IDK, 15 Big Ones or MIU they'd still be playing it today. But if even Brian didn't care about it, I guess motivation was low. A missed opportunity.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2085 on: May 10, 2012, 10:03:16 AM »

Pedantry man, pedantry.

Grin

That's quite an achievement for these guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian's had some of the melodies in his portfolio for a while, that' the nature of the guy, but for there to be nothing from PCM (previously circulating material) is gosh-darn cool.

OK, hold that thought - I'm 97.423% that "Daybreak" uses at least part of the Mike Love Not War recording: some of the bvs are identical, especially the ones that sound a lot like Christian.

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: May 10, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »

Pedantry man, pedantry.

Grin

OK, hold that thought - I'm 97.423% that "Daybreak" uses at least part of the Mike Love Not War recording: some of the bvs are identical, especially the ones that sound a lot like Christian.

I kinda figured they'd build on that anyway. The harmony sound on that was incredible, sounded just like the BB's.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 10, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »

I'm in the camp that would rather see new material than reworks of unreleased songs, or even marginally released songs.  I don't understand why anybody would want to hear a (by most accounts) mediocre song reworked or rewritten because it has 'potential'.  Just write something new (which it appears they have! I win). 
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: May 10, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »

I'm in the camp that would rather see new material than reworks of unreleased songs, or even marginally released songs.  I don't understand why anybody would want to hear a (by most accounts) mediocre song reworked or rewritten because it has 'potential'.  Just write something new (which it appears they have! I win). 

Yeah, same. I'd like to hear new songs. That one from Mike's solo album is not very good.

No mas, por favor.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 10, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »

Where can i listen to Mike Love solo version of Daybreak ?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: May 10, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »

Where can i listen to Mike Love solo version of Daybreak ?

Same here, googled it and everything.

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: May 10, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »

You cant because its not "offiially "released yet  Roll Eyes Grin
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 10, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »

Of all the reviews i've found via google tho, lots of people are sayin' good stuff about it?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 10, 2012, 12:54:11 PM »

New album is 100% amazing. Seriously, a reviewer friend of mine sung some harmonies from "FHTBA" (the first part) and holy shoot... Definitely some amazing sh*t!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:01:22 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: May 10, 2012, 01:04:57 PM »

When will the 30 seconds samples appear on amazon? :/

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2095 on: May 10, 2012, 01:08:12 PM »

New album is 100% amazing. Seriously, a reviewer friend of mine sung some harmonies from "FHTBA" (the first part) and holy shoot... Definitely some amazing sh*t!

Can't agree with you there - I'd rate it at about 71% amazing.  Grin

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2096 on: May 10, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »

New album is 100% amazing. Seriously, a reviewer friend of mine sung some harmonies from "FHTBA" (the first part) and holy shoot...

Would you hum a little for us ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: May 10, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »

Yeah, same. I'd like to hear new songs. That one from Mike's solo album is not very good.

I dunno. It's nothing earth-shattering, but it sounds very classically Beach Boys. If it fits with the flow of the album, I'm cool with it. Mike is sitting on so much unreleased stuff it's not funny ...
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: May 10, 2012, 01:23:31 PM »

I'd rather the album contain at least a few good songs that I'm already familiar with either from bootlegs or unreleased recordings than have to worry about them padding out the record with some newly-written, over-nostalgic tripe just to meet the quota of a 12-13 track album.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: May 10, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »

Can't agree with you there - I'd rate it at about 71% amazing.  Grin

Haha, agreed, it was a hyperbole, he said it's very good though, maybe like 75-80%

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx