gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 02:11:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great BB songs yer don't like...?  (Read 13908 times)
thomasogg
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2007, 01:20:06 PM »

"you Americans"?

Please, don't tar any population with one brush for the whole lot. Would it work for your country?

Probably, yeh. Especially if u were saying, 'why are you all so witty, charming and outrageously attractive? With big cocks.'
thomasogg
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2007, 01:39:47 PM »

Probably, ye. Especially if u were saying 'why are you all so witty, charming, and attractive? With big cocks.'
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2007, 02:08:00 AM »

"And vulgar."  Tongue

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2007, 02:26:42 AM »

...unless he refers to a rooster (mail chicken)....le coq....but that would probably be insulting for the French amongst us... (or not, Sloop JB?  Cheesy )

I think we should keep this discussion to where it started with: great BB-songs you don't like.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2007, 02:47:32 AM »

With big cocks.'

What? Everyone? Even the women? Ew...
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2007, 02:54:10 AM »

Good lord... Good Vibrations? Really?

I suggest a warning for everyone who mentions GV here and a permanent ban in case anyone would dare to say God Only Knows...  Cool
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »

God Only Knows....I mean, give me a break. If I have to hear this song one more time I'm going to throw up. Pure Sap. The lyrics are boring, my dog could've came up with the melody, and the french horn is WAAAYYYY too high in the mix. The tag is nothing but a ridiculous children's round. The ba ba baaaa-  ba ba ba baaaa part in the middle should be reason enough to hate this song. Again, this shouldn't even be included because the title of the thread is "Great BB songs...". Obviously this song falls well short of "greatness". just kidding, I love this song.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2007, 09:19:38 AM »

OK, I'll play.   I will keep it to the "classics", as I think the subject was intended.

1) California Girls.  Used to like it, I mean it's a great song.  It just hasn't worn well over time for me.

2) Let Him Run Wild. Sorry, but like Brian I just hate the vocal on this one.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Reggie Dunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2007, 09:01:17 PM »

Here Comes The Night - Bruce's Disco version.  Suitable for skeet or discus practice.
Decades later, the question remains: "Why Bruce, Why ?" ( see "Pipeline" on "Going
Public" for the answer: Disco sells.) I never heard the Smiley version the same again.

When I Grow Up to Be A Man - Pubescent schlock at it's pinnacle of misery. And I refer
to the audience rather than the performer's lamentations and wide - eyed wonder.

I'll Bet He's Nice - A landfill of musical refuse captured on magnetic tape, should have
never been unleashed on a gullible and starving fan base.

Honorable Mention: So many, the aforementioned have stuck in my craw lately.

No Wilson's = No Beach Boys.

Beware of Imitators. Est. 2006
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2007, 06:26:56 AM »

I'll Bet He's Nice - A landfill of musical refuse captured on magnetic tape, should have
never been unleashed on a gullible and starving fan base.

Wow!  Just curious.....anything else on LOVE YOU that causes you such revulsion?
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2007, 06:47:44 AM »

I know its solo, but everyone goes on about 'Lay down burden', I think its boring and bland.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2007, 08:24:10 AM »

From Love You, I understand that the CIA use "Love is a Woman" and "Airplane" to get confessions out of prisoners.

OTOH, to me "I'll Bet He's Nice", while a bit cheesey, does feature singing that conveys more of the emotion described in the lyrics than much of what has come to us from Brian-land since 1974.
El Goodo
Smiley Smile Associate

coffee man

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2007, 09:38:10 AM »

Sorry to say it but the worst GREAT BB song for me is Good Vibrations. I feel like its too short and doesn't take advantage of some really cool things. That being said, a re-edit of Good Vibrations to make it more structurally similar to the BWPS version pushes it out of my worst category.

OH FFS Roll Eyes the worst.............. Shocked Shocked
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2007, 09:39:36 AM »

lay down burden on the live at the roxy album is so much better than the Imagination album cut....speaking of that album, i think the Keep and Eye on Summer sounds like a Nashville sounds outtake...but i doubt it is...i think more people would like the song had it been on a different album rather than SD vol. 2...it sounds dated on there...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2007, 11:47:23 PM »

Ok, as BB fans and fanatics all, does anyone else have a BB song - a well-loved, obviously great, highly-regarded BB song - that they don't like, and more to the point that they dare admit a disliking too on this site? With me it'd have to be 'Breakaway'. I know it's a good tune, but except for the brief 'found out it was in my head' interlude in the middle, it just really does nothing for me - i just don't get it! The verses are ok, the chorus leaves me cold, and then it just sort of fades out, very anti-climatic. I much prefer it's B-side - now THAT is a fade!!
I'm not posting this link so everyone can get into a big slanging match ('You don't like Breakaway? You sub-BB fan! What a LOSER!' etc). It'd just be interesting to see what BB songs people actually don't like, away from obvious crap like 'Student Demo Time', and why it is they don't like 'em! Who knows, maybe theirs even a fan somewhere who doesn't rate 'Good Vibrations' or 'God Only Knows'...? 

Excluding some of the truly horrible songs the Beach Boys have recorded, I can't say that there is any good/great song by the group that I don't like.  I would say that there are a number of songs (mostly the bigger hits) that I've heard enough in my life that I tend to skip them when they shuffle on my iPod. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2007, 02:11:07 PM »

Another one the bugs me (but I don't think it's 'great') is "Drive In."  Lyrics just seem SO goofy to me -- & I wonder why Brian & band have been performing it lately??  I don't dig it!  (I like the alternate version of 'St. Nick' more...)

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2007, 01:18:05 PM »

My number one least favorite, hands down.....Barbara Ann.  The concert album, as a concept, was actually pretty good.  But Barbara Ann, out of context, as a hit 45, that won't foda go away, that casual  fans seem to love, that even gets played at BW concerts, sends me running for the skip button.

Other non favorites

Love is a Woman
A Day in the Life of a Tree
Hey Little Tomboy
I Was Made to Love Her
T.M song
Good Time
Pitter Patter

I like, or can tolerate most of the old material, but  Louie Louie is a bit hard to take.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »

a little late, but here's my top 10 in no real order:

"Forever"
a good song overall, but the line "If every word I said could make you laugh I'd talk forever" is pretty bad.  So bad, it's funny... I mean who would want to talk FOREVER??? and what girl would want to laugh FOREVER?!?! Pure Dennis though.

"Add Some Music"
I'm really not crazy about some of the lyrics on this one either... just so unpoetic.
"Your doctor knows it keeps you calm"?!? Come on...

"Be True To Your School"
I think it's pretty obvious that this one makes a lot of us cringe, no matter how catchy.

"Do It Again"
I actually like this song a lot (esp the intro), but it makes me kind of sad.  It's the first really obvious rehash, and a desperate attempt at regaining past glory and sticking with "the formula"...

"I Can Hear Music"
I never have liked this cover tune.

"Do You Wanna Dance"
another cover, right?  doesn't do much for me.  "Dance Dance Dance" on the other hand kicks ASS!!!

"She Knows Me Too Well"
This is a great song indeed, but I much prefer the other tunes from side 2 of 'Today': "Please Let Me Wonder", "In the Back of My Mind", and "Kiss Me Baby"

"California Saga"
I like the song "California", but "Big Sur" and "Beaks" are totally unlistenable for me.

"Cool Cool Water"
could have been such a great song, but the released version is just so... "watered" down.  Same with "Loop de Loop"...

"Help Me Ronda"
Ronda not Rhonda.  I love the song, but the original production is so inferior and just BAD.  The harmonica, the volume swells... just terrible.  And you still hear the album version on the radio and various compilations.  It's embarassing.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:36:56 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2007, 09:01:27 AM »

Some BB song i just can't stand, in no order

Be True To Your School
Surfin' Safari
Rock And Roll Music ( i know it's a cover, but is it not one of the worst lead vocals ever)
Add Some Music To Your Day
Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)
A Day In The Life Of A Tree (why is this so liked, it's freakin boring, and i hate the vocals)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 09:02:19 AM by We'll run away » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2007, 02:19:07 PM »

You guys who dislike A Day in the Life of a Tree are killing me...  Cry
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2007, 06:19:58 PM »

Everyone used to RAVE about "Cry" off of the Imagination album...but I never, ever even remotely liked that song.

If I never heard "Be True To Your School" live again, I probably wouldn't miss it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2007, 06:26:11 PM »

Everyone used to RAVE about "Cry" off of the Imagination album...but I never, ever even remotely liked that song.

I feel the same about it as I do about Lay Down Burden (or several others on that album). If it were re-recorded with the current band--and the production sensibilities from the Christmas album, for example (or an earlier production style, such as from the mid-70s to early-70s), I think I'd like it a lot more.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »

I love Cry. The fadeout is great. I don't see everyone's problem with the production style on Imagination.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
thomasogg
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2007, 07:46:08 AM »

Maybe something to do with it all being so cringingly-'80s and so badly dated - come on, you don't hear that?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2007, 07:59:44 AM »

I don't see everyone's problem with the production style on Imagination.

Agree. Of all the solo albums, maybe even including BWPS, Brian sounds most presentable vocally, somewhat relaxed, and less "shouty". I always felt that it wasn't the production of Imagination that was lacking, but the material.

I'm not as critical of Joe Thomas as most. While there are some things to criticize about Stars And Stripes, the production wasn't one of them. If you just focus on the Beach Boys' vocal contributions on the album, I feel it's one of their strongest album - harmony speaking - post 1966. It's even more evident on the documentary.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx